Amplified Parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amplified Parts

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 21, 2015 12:18 pm

This appears to be a new division of AES. Mega-high pricing. I see that matched quads of Electro-Harmonix 6V6's are now $79.00, up from $64.00.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/vacuum_tubes?page=0%2C5&filters=Brand%3DNOS

Lots of audiophile-speak. They want $22.45 for a 50C5!

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Amplified Parts

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 21, 2015 12:24 pm

I know. Be sure to get out your liquid rectifiers, and, put them in the freezer for twenty four hours to be sure you get that smmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooootttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, clean sound, and, don't forget to use balanced rectifiers to get a more mellow tone...............

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 21, 2015 2:23 pm

I always thought that AES was plenty high as they were. Why do they need to raise their prices? I guess they have run off all the old radio trade, so now they are starting on the twang and bang crowd. They want 84 cents for a .047 @ 630 polypropelene cap when Sal gets 30 cents. Then there is shipping on top of that. It's a good thing that I have plenty of 50C5's. They won't get any of my business.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu May 21, 2015 2:45 pm

I looked at the AES site and they also want 22.45 for the 50c5. I bought a few tubes from them a while back that were odd radio tubes only, no amp crowd. I got them at a excellent price. I wonder if AES is having money issues or they are headed toward the bang and twang crowd only. Looks like I need to find another tube vendor. I usually buy up complete lots of tubes when I find them,tube caddys, boxes of them ,etc. I have had a add online locally for 3 or 4 years now. I usually get  contacted by someone with stuff 3 or 4 times a year. I usually am able to buy stuff unless its one of these "get rich quick pickers" . One guy wanted to sell me a tube caddy of 60s and 70s tv tubes, no radio tubes. I asked how much and he said 500. I said there is no way I can pay that, a few weeks later I bought a similar tube caddy with both TV and radio tubes for 7 bucks at a meet.

I noticed in my area there are two new pickers putting up ads on the local site I go to in the last few months. I think I tracked one down to a ebay user.He lives in this little area where if you blink you will miss it and there may be 10 people that live there.  This guy erks me a little.  I have two or three ads on there. I usually extend the ads once a month. Every time I renew the ad he puts up 3 or 4 new ads within a day of when I do. I have maybe 3 or 4 now but he has about 10 or 15. So people see this and think there is a high demand. Then they want 500 for a tube caddy because there are dozens of ads wanting it. But for the most part I get 90% of my stuff at radio meets. The rest I get from places like AES or allied.

The bad thing about this is all this stuff we are willing to buy at fair prices we can't because someone has seen overpriced ads or ebay buy it now. I did search on ebay for the 50c5 and found a lot of tube sets for AA5 radios for less than the AES price of that one. Maybe its time to look at ebay, 5 tubes for 20 bucks or one at AES. I wonder how many tubes,radios and other parts will go to the dumpster because some one sees a picker show, asks 500 for a tube caddy then doesn't get it and it goes in the dumpster. While you have folks like me willing to pay a fair price for both selling and buying parties . I think the next person that says they won't sell for a lowball price I am going to tell them I don't plan to pay for a Highballers retirement either.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Bring money. Lots of money.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 21, 2015 3:43 pm

If I sold all the 50C5's I have for $22.45 apiece, the address on my avatar would read Paradise Valley. If you need tubes, Willy, I would share some I have. For God's sake, I hope nobody on here feels like they have to pay prices like that for AA5 tubes. I have lots of AA5 tubes, way more than I will ever use. Those "pickers" are an aggravation. They are driving up the asking price on everything I fool with. I like buying at auction, especially around here. There is ZERO interest in old electronics. Everybody wants a four-wheeler or a cell phone. THOSE you can sell.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu May 21, 2015 4:38 pm

In the place I live at I only know of two other folks who are truly into tube stuff. they are mainly into the 50s and 60s stereo amps though. The issue is a handfuil of self proclaimed pickers are out there causing everyone to think a 60s TV tube is more valuable than gold. The good thing is a lot of the tube stuff in my area I wound up with it back in the 80s. I got a lot back then from the shops as they wanted it gone. As far as tubes goes I rarely buy any that I need to fix something. The tubes were oddball ones they used in the early 60s in radios. The good thing is there are way more of them than the demand. They were less than 4 bucks each. I think they were in a Arvin and a RCA. I needed some 36am3 tubes and I didn't have any. I ordered a few spares. This was the first time I have had to order tubes since the early 90s. I buy up loads of them just to get a few I can use. The only real interest in tube stuff here is almost zero. Like you 4 wheelers and cell phones are the big sellers here.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 21, 2015 6:39 pm

I need a few sets of AA5 tubes in both miniature, and, octal, if you want to get rid of some.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu May 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:I need a few sets of AA5 tubes in both miniature, and, octal, if you want to get rid of some.....
Post away Bill maybe Wildcat, I or someone else will have them.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri May 22, 2015 4:20 pm

I have used AES for small orders of caps and Solen Fast Caps in the past. When living in AZ I liked the fast response. Call in the morning and the parts were there sometime the next day. I have one of their old catalogs which they don't distribute any more but P/Ns on caps or resistors have not changed. I like the ease of calling and talking to someone to take my order. I have found other sources for tubes and never tried them.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Are you talking about the new small catalog or is there a current full sized one I need to get.

What bugs me is how many suppliers are going with "Online" catalogs only. I like to browse and I don't always know what I want unless I see it.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Terry, the one I have is about 1/2" thick and they used to mail them out. I understand they are no longer doing that. If they are shipping out a smaller version great. I have not seen that. I do like calling and ordering to make certain what I want is available. Happy with them. Other than my catalog, their on line one is not bad but I like thumbing through pages!
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 pm

This is more like a flyer with 37 pages.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:15 pm

I got some stuff from them through Amazon recently that was pretty reasonable in price, but they weren't audiophile things. I got some single section variable capacitors for a crystal radio set I'm building.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Somebody probably knows better than me, But didn't they start as a small company trying to supply parts other suppliers, (RS), didn't?  They've found a good niche with guitar parts and I say,"If that's what it takes so that we can get two ganged capacitors then that's a good thing".
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top