Magnavox 1956 Provincial Serenade changer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnavox 1956 Provincial Serenade changer

Post by curbsidefinds on Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Today my "new" record changer for my '56 Magnavox arrived--it's a Collaro changer that within a year or two of correct vintage. My Provincial Serenade was lacking its changer when I adopted it. I seemed to remember that the cut-out board that the changer sits on was there, but no, the previous owner had removed it. So now I need a template or pattern for the cut-out for a mid-50s Collaro changer. If you want to see pix of the changer sitting on temporary supports in its new home, go to the Vintage HiFi site and look under Magnificent Magnavox.

I'm still trying to find another 1956 owner who can send me a photo or description of the tweeter horn wiring for this unit--there's a mysterious 3rd wire from the plug that was just loose when I got the console.

Chris Campbell

curbsidefinds

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox 1956 Provincial Serenade changer

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 20, 2015 10:03 pm

I do not have a Collaro out of its cabinet at the moment. I could remove one and draw you a template if that would help. It would be a later stereo, but I can't imagine them being different as far as mounting goes. Sorry, I can't help you with the loose wire. I'm more familiar with the stereo models. Did you see the '57 that I posted on your other thread? I posted a picture of the electronics. Will that help?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

1956 vs 1957

Post by curbsidefinds on Wed May 20, 2015 10:34 pm

The 1956 P. Serenade uses a different amplifier, the AMP 149, than the 1957 model that uses true biamplification (two sets of output tubes with separate transformers). The 1956 model uses the same output tubes to drive separate output transformers. I guess I'd call it quasi-biamplification. Odd how they kept fiddling around. But that's what I find interesting about collecting electronic devices--all the different approaches to the same goal. But in any event, I need a 1956 one to figure out that third wire.

Chris

curbsidefinds

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Got it. Sorry I couldn't help.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by curbsidefinds on Thu May 21, 2015 12:26 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I do not have a Collaro out of its cabinet at the moment.  I could remove one and draw you a template if that would help.  It would be a later stereo, but I can't imagine them being different as far as mounting goes.  

Sorry, I can't help you with the loose wire.  I'm more familiar with the stereo models.  Did you see the '57 that I posted on your other thread?  I posted a picture of the electronics.  Will that help?

WC

Based on what I've seen, there's a fundamental common design to these changers, so I'm pretty sure the cutout shape is the same. When you have a chance, trace one and send it along. If by mail, I'm at 116 Monroe St., Traverse City, MI 49684 (where we were below freezing last night, and maybe again tonight!!).

Chris Campbell

curbsidefinds

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 21, 2015 12:33 am

It has been cold as a well-digger's butt here, too. Only up to 47 today! It is chilly in my shop. I'll dig one out as soon as I can and I'll PM you when I get closer to sending it out. I'll be happy to do that. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top