I retire on 2/27/09!!!

Go down

I retire on 2/27/09!!! Empty I retire on 2/27/09!!!

Post by Chas on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:55 pm

It's OVER!

After nearly 41 years in virtually all aspects of golf ball manufacturing it has come to an end...

I was offered a package I couldn't refuse. The alternative, be part of a mass layoff that will be completed by 2/27.

Will I miss the job? Not really, Much has changed in sensor design and high speed video cameras. What took a professional like myself to connect and configure can now be done by a grade schooler and some USB cables...

Will I miss the bennies? YES. I had access to a full machine shop, sheet metal brake and shear, full SMD service station that I personally equipped. I heard promises of consultation, frankly, I don't believe it, so my telephone is on answering machine. Next Friday, as I drive away I will give 'em the salute and not look back...

I'll be looking for something to do even closer to home in the next few weeks, but if it doesn't pan out? Take the summer off and work on the radio collection Very Happy

Best!

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

I retire on 2/27/09!!! Empty Re: I retire on 2/27/09!!!

Post by Uffda on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Congratulations! Hopefully I will join the club in about a year.
Good luck.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by geno on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Congrats! I retired from a major Railroad 1 1/2 years ago. Best move I ever made. No way did I look for a part time 'job'. I sell a few radio tubes and restore the basemant full of radios that I've collected. It takes at least 6 months for the retirement to begin to 'sink in' though. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Gene

geno

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Congratulations! I was lucky enough to retire at two weeks short of 55 so my "early retirement" penalty was next to nothing. I enjoy it. I am sitting right next to my daughter in her office right now as she works on a research paper. She and her husband work for UC Berkeley here in California. Since I am retired, I can jump on a Southwest jet for $84 each way from Baltimore to San Francisco. Not bad because I can travel when the fare is cheap.

Chas, enjoy it, you earned it. From experience, retirement is like a relationship... it takes about a year to get used to the big change.

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnesotaHam on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Congratulations! You should be grinning from ear to ear knowing each day will begin with deciding what you want to do (or not!) rather than sometimes doing what you have to do. Retirement is an elusive goal more often these days. Must feel wonderful to achieve a major goal.

Last edited by MinnesotaHam on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

MinnesotaHam

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 am

I kinda got forced to take early retirement two years ago this month. I have been thanking my former company for sending me on my way ever since. I haven't even looked for another job. Frankly I don't want one. I worked for exactly 40 years before retirement. I don't have the best retirement income in the world, but I have enough to pay my bills, feed and clothe me, and give me plenty of spending money for my electronics toys. Now who could want any more? I love retirement.

Back to top Go down

Post by terry h on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 am

Just think Chas, If you took one golf ball home every day for the length of your working years......... Smile
Sorry, someone else will have to finish the sentence. My clever quip evaporated.

Enjoy the rockin chair Chas.

terry h

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tube radio on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 am

Congratulations Chas.
I retired 7 years ago with 38 years service and I am really enjoying it.

Lee

tube radio

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post by philco fan on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 am

lucky dog!!!!!!!!
i am many many years from retirement,probably won't live long enough to get there!
phil

philco fan

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:49 am

Golfball manufacturing going south. With all of the balls I put in the water, trees, farm fields and anywhere else ecxept the fairway, I figured I myself would keep the golf ball makers rolling LOL Laughing
By the way, my last time out, my ball rolled into a gopher hole, never to be seen again!!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks guys for all the encouragement.

About the Golf, I tried the game, I wasn't very good at it, after losing six balls in five holes. I've always encouraged others who play, (good for business), in fact, I have designed equipment for players that analyzes their swing.

I had hoped to retire, in consideration of my health, at 66. If I felt well, I would stay on. However, the recession has hurt the Golf industry, so management decided to offer early retirement incentives. It is a great package and I took it. Had I not, I would have been in the pool for layoffs. If I made the cut, I would have had to work all the harder to accomplish my tasks.

I would like to continue working as I recently learned SMD troubleshooting and repair. I kind of like fixing what looks impossible, not unlike tackling an old radio. I have to polish-up my resume. Its going to be tough keeping it short with 40+ years experience.

Still, I would also enjoy working in a Winery or a Brewery or even a hydroponic green house. I'm also considering, furniture finishing (production) & bee keeping!

I have three professional licenses but none of those positions are much "fun". I have also been asked to do volunteer work for the Church & Town (websites).

I have a Hammond organ and a Baldwin piano that need re-furbishing. Then I have to learn to play them. The house needs a new roof and painting, so don't the sheds..

I'm getting tired just thinking about all the jobs I can catch-up on..

Best,

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 pm

I fired the job about 10-12 years ago but I'm still working Smile Its nice to be in control of that aspect of one's life.
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeinkcmo on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:50 am

CONGRATULATIONS Charles!!!!

I too fired the job 10 or so years ago. It did take a while to sink in, but not a bad job overall. Plenty of variety, painting, tipping a cold beer or glass of tea, hammering, keeping the hammock in place, mowing, fixing radios, and so it goes. I think my sig line sums it up.

Mike

mikeinkcmo

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Hello Chas
Well you finally made it know you can take up Golf as a second hobby Right
since you know how to makes those little balls you should fairly good at the game Very Happy
I guess if your married your wife will hand you a list and say Honey can you fix these little items around the house since you have time Please and that honey todo list can be long I remember when my father retired back in the early 90s he had a list seemed to never end.
Sincerely Rich
P.S.
far as roofing that was one of my fathers first thing that and a new coat of paint .
my folks house is a trilevel home it was a fun job reroofing it . I bet you have heard all the golfers jokes by now

RadioRich

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob T on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 am

Congrats.
Hung up my spurs back in1995. Love every minute of it.
Gee maybe you could install that SMD on the much sought after SStran's
Happy Camping
Bob T.
Bob T
Bob T

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum