Big Fun Today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big Fun Today

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:39 pm

About an hour before time to get ready for work the fire truck pulls around out front.  The firemen get out and proceed to test the fire hydrant.  when they get done I hear some loud banging sounds from my plumbing.  I see them pull away and try the cold water.  No water.  I go through the bills and call the water department.  I tell them I want to report an outage and they put me on hold while they look my account up.  I look out the front window and there is water gushing out of the meter hole in my and the next door neighbor's yards.  It took the repairmen 2 hours to get here, while I had to call in absent from work.  They said the fire dept. had shut off the fire hydrant too fast and exploded our water meters.  They are giving us a credit on our water bill this month.  I have just about got the grit and mud out of the lines.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Fun Today

Post by Guest on Thu May 14, 2015 9:56 pm

I remember those days of dirty water due to "testing." For the last 28 years I've lived a rural life with my own well! Wink No more problems!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 pm

You can't beat good well water. And a water softener/filter/reverse osmosis doodad for the grit and hard water. Glad you got things under control.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 15, 2015 12:41 am

The last good well water I had was from an artesian well in Michigan. The only water I drink is distilled. The rest tastes like it has baking soda in it.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 15, 2015 9:03 am

When I drink any water at all I drink bottled spring water. The water in my city tastes awful!! They sell us recycled waste water. Not kidding. It goes down the sewer, to the plant, is recycled, and, sold back to us. Yuck!!!!!!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat May 16, 2015 12:39 am

I would of thought the hydrant would be separated from the supply lines to homes. If something like that would happen here, our basements would be flooded. Our water meters are in the basement either a few feet or right before the main shut off valve. Our water comes from reservoirs filled by rivers and is treated but still sometimes is funky tasting. It's not uncommon for larger cities and states to treat waste water and then pump it back into the supply for the city.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 16, 2015 1:29 am

Our county has the most reservoirs in the metro area. We also have a UV irradiation water purification plant for the water taken from the reservoirs. There is also good fishing in the reservoirs. You can take boats on them, but no gasoline engines.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat May 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Water is so bad out in Orange County CA, you need to buy bottled for drinking.  I need to get back to Sedona AZ for some good water.  The best we have had was when we lived in Sandy UT.  Both were from underground aquifers and nice.  I wouldn't want to have to run a well, we have a friend in AZ that does not have access to the public system and he is always changing filters to get the mud out from his well water.
Best,  Jerry

PS: I did add my birth date per Bill's request. Crap, am I the oldest on this forum? Shocked

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 16, 2015 3:57 pm

You're only as old as you feel. After washing my vehicles, 58 seems mighty low.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat May 16, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm 64, and, after all the work I've done this week I feel double that age...........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Jerry, I will call you "sir" if that makes you feel better. They say 60 is the new 40, so that only makes you less than 50. Glad you are here in any case! Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat May 16, 2015 4:31 pm

I do enjoy washing my car 75, not out here! The water is so crappy you can't dry it off fast enough! No, WC, not "sir". I did make a trip to see my "kids" at ALCON where I retired 15 years ago. The guys looked older, the ladies looked younger. I figured the GPS would get me to their new location. Unfortunately it wanted to take toll roads which require a "fast track" account and a transponder. I really need to figure out how to turn off toll roads on it! The ladies made me feel younger, the guys made me feel older.
If I can get the wife to take some pictures, I will post them on my Crosley 655 project for a friend. Totally confused but in another month or so it may work. What I could do in a week, now takes months. My last radio, a FADA 46, took me a year!
Best to all Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top