AC Dayton radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AC Dayton radio

Post by willy3486 on Mon May 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Need some advice on a radio. I had earlier asked about the speaker and now I know more about this speaker and radio. A fellow has a AC Dayton xl5 radio with a RCA model 100 speaker. I know more about the prices for the post 30s radios so I don't want to steer him wrong. But a problem with our hobby is pickers shows and ebay with the over inflated prices. They tend to get hopes up but then make folks like us look bad when we give decent offers. I also do not want to give him a price too low, I hope to help him sell it and to help someone find it that wants it. what I am needing is a decent estimate for the radio and speaker. I have not seen it except for the pictures. Mind you I usually go for basket cases and this I do not thing is a basket case. So I am thinking this is a set that would go for a higher price than lower.

Here is some things I have noticed that are good.

The entire set,radio and speaker looks to be have stored good and well taken care of.
It has the paper with radio station info you never see on the lid that looks to be in excellent shape.
The front looks to be in good shape and would clean up good.
The speaker looks good as well.

The could bad
The owner is not interested in shipping and we live in Tennessee, usually radios go less here.
It is as found condition which may be a good thing but probably the speaker and tubes haven't been checked.
There looks to be a white button in  the center of the radio, Is this original.

Other than that I think its a great radio. But my knowledge is more into newer radios. I am thinking if this does not have the original globe type radio it would be in the 100 to 300 range, but if it has globes it could be 200 to 450 maybe? I am just guessing from the prices I have seen locally. Anyone care to give me advice? I will send him this link so he can see as well. As far as myself I have nothing to gain as I am trying to  help him out.

Some pictures

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: AC Dayton radio

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 8:55 pm

What is he asking? Looks like a tube is missing, and, one may be to air.
The white button is a modern replacement switch. Not original.
I like the white paper label. Is this a battery set? Nice radio, and, might be worth it, but, need to know more. Also, need to see pictures of the cabinet.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon May 04, 2015 10:13 pm

I think it is a battery set. I have asked him what he would take and he says he wants to know what its worth and does not want low ball offers.  I understand that all to well. Thats why I was wondering what to tell him. I usually don't notice these at meets. There is one fellow who brings some 20s  in to meets and asks anywhere from 150 to 500. The difference is his has been restored and are perfect, They look straight from the factory with the original tube.

I have nothing to gain other than helping someone out. I am fine with that as I have helped others sell them. I have so many radios I have bought from someone to help them out that I didn't want only to have it collect dust. I have one I over paid for it but I did it to help the young mother out, she needed money to pay a doctor visit. The last speaker I bought at the meet like this I paid 30 bucks for. I got it for my Atwater Kent radio. Then I have seen these types of radios llike this go for as little as 5 to 25 bucks without the tube. There was someone at the last meet with about 10, the highest was about 30 bucks.  These looked to be basket cases or for parts.I think this is worth a lot more but I don't know what to advise him. Anyway I have no idea of value.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 am

I'm not into 1920's radios, nor battery sets. I would not give much for it, since it would be a shelf queen. Those thing are way above my pay grade, both from a service and an operation standpoint.

My first reaction would be that the owner does not know what it is worth, but does not want a lowball offer. If he does not know what it is worth, how would he know a lowball offer was IF he got one? Seems to me that he is putting you behind the eight ball in this deal. You are perhaps a nicer guy than I am, but I don't see a "win" in this for Willy.

Good luck, Willy.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 am

In reality there is no win for me but that is fine. I have some ads locally wanting to buy old radio stuff.Then there are a few other ads in my area wanting tube stuff as well. The difference is I do old radios as a hobby and love to work on them. The other folks that have them are "pickers". I have a friend who posts that is a picker, he goes after the newer stereo tube stuff, good thing is he gets the parts and we trade off the parts and I do repairs for him. There is another one who says he is not a picker but he sometimes posts stuff for sale he has picked. Another issue we have is trying to compete with "this is for sale at $$$$". Ebay is a perfect example. I can post an old antique typewriter I have as old, valuable and I want 1000 but that doesn't mean I will ever get it. My win on items like this is when someone realizes I am not trying to rip them off if they really want to sell an item maybe they will eventually listen to me. The other win is I make connections. One guy I mentioned posts he wants old stereos. He passes along the tube stuff he doesn't want to me. For every 10 folks I contact I may get one or two items that are worth this trouble.

Here is a example of what I am talking about with overpriced value of ads. This fellow has sent me these two links.

Dayton radio

RCA speaker

These two items look in worse shape than his. But here is the issue, ebay is not a good estimate of price with the price listed.How am I suppose to compete and tell folks real facts on vaue of a item when Ebay had a inflated price. Its no telling how much stuff I have turned down because someone saw an ebay item like theirs and would not sell at a true value.

Those two items on ebay look worse but the ebay radio has the correct switch. I have had better luck finding cases than some hard to find switch. Another thing that ebay combo at the radio meets I have been to would be lucky to get 50 bucks. I bought a speaker in a metal case at a met for 30 bucks that in reality looks better than his. I do think his is a nice example and should get a good price. The issue at had is the actual value of a non restored radio with the wrong parts will probably be far less than someone who will not tell you what they want. In other words I have offered at times more than something is worth to help someone only to be chewed out by them because I was trying to rip them off.

I think what I will do is to forward along the local radio club address and tell him to contact the two guys who are over it. They are into these early sets and should know.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 05, 2015 8:41 am

All you can do is keep telling the truth. I find the same over inflation on antique phonographs, and, televisions on ebay. And, though they don't usually sell, they don't seem to care, either.
Some lucky sucker recently bought a fake "Edison Graphophone" outside horn disk machine for over four grand!!!! It's a fake, people!!
Edison NEVER sold outside horn lateral cut disc machines to the public in all the years the company existed...
And, he didn't call it a graphophone, either. That was Columbia. He called it the phonograph.This had a home made banner decal which read, Edison Graphophone". It also had a musical note reproducer, and, a wopping 8" turntable!! Man, did they get screwed!!!!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 am

I sent him another email and I sent him to our local radio club. I told him to check with a couple of members listed on there that might be interested. I also sent him a link to Ron Lawrence. He is the only one who I think would be the most interested in it. To be honest I wouldn't want to give more than 50 for the radio and speaker but I have no interest in them. I do think he can get a decent price but he may think it was a ripoff price. Right now there is someone locally who has a Zenith sign from the 70s. Its a small lighted sign and they want 50 for it, thats a top end price that I have seen them sold for. The guy who has it is a flipper I think, he has ads wanting signs and then posts for sale ads for signs. . I would like to get it but I probably will pass. One of the hardest things in this hobby is prices. People want way more than value when you try to buy but when you fix one up and put all that money and time in it they want to give you less than you paid originally for the radio.  Anymore I buy 95% of my items I find at radio swaps. Now though I have so many waiting to be fixed I mainly look for parts or advertising.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue May 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Update: I thought some of you would like this last email. Mind you I had nothing to gain or loose. I was interested in buying it if I could or finding someone who was. I tried to be as up front and honest as I could. I asked many times what he expected and he never told me. All he would say is he didn't want lowball offers. I replied you can't go by ebay prices.
Here is his last reply.

Yes, I realize that E-bay items sometimes have an inflated price, especially the Buy-it-now prices.  I was just looking for an honest person who might be willing to tell me the worth of the radio and speaker.  Thanks anyway..

And here is my reply

As far as honesty goes I have been honest. I asked you what you wanted for it and your reply was I don't wan't lowball offers.  You also said you had no idea what it was worth but how would you know what a lowball offer was. I work for a living doing something else, this is a hobby so I spend what time I can on it.  I have probably spent an hour or two posting on the web and doing research on it. I did this to help you and asked nothing in return. As far as the price goes I bought a same type of speaker for 30 bucks and I have seen radios like this go for 10 to 50 bucks. Those prices were the asking price from folks who know what these are worth. But I was hoping I could get you some better offers and was working on getting some offers. But the biggest question I got was how much you wanted and you would never tell me.
Here is a link to one post I asked on a forum.
http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t4437-ac-dayton-radio

So I was trying to help you not "lowball" you. But for me to help someone they need to be honest with me and tell me what they want. I have tried my best, even sending you some info on other collectors. I wish I could have helped you but I can't if you are not willing yo let me know what you want. I have been dealing with tube items for a few decades, I started back in the 70s. I have also restored items for radio station owners, professional recording musicians as well as heirloom radios for people. I have tried to help you the best I can. I hope you the best with selling it.

That was my reply to his email.
I tried to be upfront and honest as I could. I had even thought about offering to box it up and ship it to anyone who wanted it if he would reinburse me the shipping costs just to help him and the buyer out.  I am glad I didn't. I enjoy this as a hobby and try to help others out with no strings attached the way my elmers helped me.  I have bought radios to help others out. I bought one radio and gave the lady about 20 bucks more than the value because I knew she needed to pay bills. I have bought radios I didn't want to help others. I overpaid a few times back in the 80s for radios that elderly folks had because I knew they had a hard time. This last year I spent about 1000 dollars helping a elderly person out only to find out they got more in retirement a month than I make. I am to the point I am getting to where I don't want to help anyone. Sorry for the rant but I wanted to update folks.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Wed May 06, 2015 12:15 am

Willy, you can hand some people gold on a silver platter, and they'd gripe about it ! ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:35 am

Funny you mentioned silver platter. I posted on other groups about this speaker. After I got this last email from the guy I l posted on the other groups that I was no longer helping this guy due to his response. One fellow posted that was interested in it said he calls these radios Golden radios, he said they never sell either. I have seen this alot as well. It seems like you offer to help folks and they have these ideas they are worth a lot more than they are in reality. Then when they don't get the fast response of here is a lot of money they turn on you. Sad thing is I had a few folks interested in it and was even willing to help by boxing it up. I think I could have eventually got him a good price but all he could do is complain about lowball offers and I want to know what it is worth. I should have done what I did last fall. I had a fellow who wanted me to buy a TV caddy filled with TV tubes from the 60s for 500 bucks. I told him I would have to pass for them at that price. I bought a TV caddy a few weeks later at a meet filled with similar tubes for 7 bucks. From now on if someone won't tell me what they want then say they don't won't lowball offers I am going to tell then well when you decide what you are wanting contact me again and we can work from there.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 06, 2015 10:14 am

You did the right thing, Willy. You did what you could. You can sleep at night with a clear conscience. Good job.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top