Modems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Modems

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 12:15 pm

There is a modem for everything nowadays. We have a modem for the satellite TV. We have a modem for the Internet. For some reason, both of the ones we have suddenly became "obsolete" the first of April. Of course, all the companies do is to send you new ones in the mail and wish you good luck, remind you what a valuable customer you are, then you are on your own. To make the Internet modem work, I had to reset Internet Explorer. It would not let me do that, so the geek with the Internet company told me my computer was on the fritz. I shut the computer down completely, waited about five minutes, then started the computer again. Guess what. It let me reset IE. Now my Internet service works somewhat like it should. I still think that it is slower than before, but whatever. The TV was not so simple. We use CRT TV's here. The new systems are really wanting people to junk these older sets and buy a flat panel. I personally believe that to be a huge waste of money and of perfectly good equipment, not to mention the environmental impact. The fact that the newer flat panel TV's have not proven themselves long-term is another matter. I had to talk with the computer geek in India to make the new modem/box/receiver work with not one, but three old CRT TV's. That took the better part of a day to get that all to work like it should. They do not send out technicians to work on this stuff. For what they charge, the technician should arrive via executive limo. Instead, they leave getting your system up and running to a 60-something grouchy old fart who has little interest and even less patience with this stuff. I am using a 1987 RCA, a 1992 RCA and a 1996 RCA, and they are barely broken in yet. They should run at least 40 years before they go on the blink, so they should have a few good years left.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Modems

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 5:28 pm

Congradulations! I hate, distrust flat panel TV's.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Flat panel TV's are not as big a pile of garbage as the equipment these companies expect us to use in our homes. These modems and satellite boxes are the cheapest junk they can find. When it breaks, they just send you another one. Of course, none of the wiring is the same, all the cables are different, and I have to change my whole setup. Crawling around under my desk is not as easy for me as it was 30 years ago, either. I'm about to decide that all this modern technology is more trouble than it is worth to me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon May 04, 2015 7:08 pm

I have Time Warner for TV and internet. The problem with their equipment is it is always being refurbished. They will refurbish a box or modem as many times as they can until it can no longer be refurbished. They also try to force you into Flat panel TV's since 90% of their programming is broadcast in HD, even on the non-HD channels. So when you watch on a CRT, part of the picture is cut off since you are viewing 16x9 format on a TV that can only do 4x3. When something fails with Time Warner you have to call them, make an appointment and then wait for someone to come out. It may be 2 days or 5 days before someone can come out, the you are stuck waiting for 2-5 hours for them to actually get to you. Flat panel TV's are getting better with LED back-lights and some becoming full LED screens but they still break way too easy and do not last near as long as CRT TV's.. However I can foresee in the next 5-7 years cable and satellite companies are going to only manufacture set-top boxes with either component cable or HDMI interfaces and do away with RF connections for a signal output, that way you have to have a flat panel TV if you want to use a set-top box.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon May 04, 2015 7:23 pm

When you have to pick up and move a large CRT TV, you will appreciate flat panel ones!  My wife and myself mounted a 70" on the wall in our condo on our own.  It took two strong young guys to remove a large sony color tv from our house to their pickup and almost strained a gut!
As for satellite boxes we have one in CA and one in AZ.  Going from one place to the other we call them and they switch feeds to where we are.  Cheaper that way, they just consider us as a customer with two boxes ($5/mo) as opposed to 2 locations which would be another account.  Our house in Sedona was wired with RG59 for cable throughout.  We use that to run TVs in other locations throughout.  No hi def but works fine.  No "modem" required.  We have DSL in both locations with WiFi routers to handle Net Flix etc. to our "Smart TVs".  Nice advantage there.  No need to run cables.
Nothing wrong with new technology as far as I'm concerned.  I would like to hook up the OTA antenna in the attic here in CA and see what I can get.  
As for the satellite box (Dish), we have had two for 10 years and the only replacement we had many years ago was when they made some major changes in them and just sent us new ones.  
Best,  Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 am

We get a full picture on our CRT TV's.  We have Century Link bundle for phone and internet, which is OKAY, but nothing outstanding.  I do not pay extra for the OMG fast connection, since I don't stream or anything like that.  We have Dish for satellite and they simply suck.  We can't get cable, or we'd have it.  We have cheap (?) old Cox cable in AZ and we are happy with it.  

Jerry, I appreciate that you enjoy all the modern technology and I wish you well.  I will be THE absolutely last subscriber to any type of TV service, antenna, cable or satellite still watching a CRT.  IF some type of doodad comes out that tries to kill the signal to my old CRT tv, some "old TV guy" will come up with a workaround doodad and I will forge ahead.  I gave huge money for the two larger RCA sets I still use, and intend to adequately amortize my investment.  I will watch them as long as they still work.  As far as the old CRT's being heavy.  Yeah, they are.  That is what a $20 bill and some beer are for.  A couple of strong young backs and it is not my problem how heavy they are.  We have a 55" RCA flat panel at our other place.  The frau likes it, because she can see the basketball scores better.  I have a 19" RCA CRT set that I watch on antenna most of the time.  Out there, I can get like 60 OTA channels on antenna.  I watch RCA TV's, use Whirlpool appliances and drive GM vehicles.  Sort of a family tradition, like my dad and grandpa did before me.  I don't know any better. I always have to whine to Dish that I am old, on a fixed income, disabled and unable to buy a new TV or work it if I had one. They mumble and transfer me to everyone in the technical department hoping I will give up and go away. They always come up with a miracle in the eleventh hour that saves my old CRT's.

My take on all this new technology is that it is too expensive, too invasive, too complicated and too unreliable.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 05, 2015 9:11 am

Very Happy I refuse flat screen. My tv has a 23" picture tube, was made in Japan almost twenty years ago, and, though the picture tube is getting tired, still plays. My washer, and, dryer are over twenty year old Whirlpools. Sure, I have to do an occasional repair on them, but, they're still kicking butt good.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 05, 2015 3:35 pm

My flat screen has been the greatest thing since television for watching TCM with. Many of the older movies they broadcast as to fill the screen. The image quality is like a good black & white glossy print. The color wide screen are really nice too. Many of the "modems" in use these days are digital to analog and vice-versa converters. They will be in use til everything comes fully digital.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum