Olympic, or, Crosley??

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Obscure radios

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 02, 2015 7:35 pm

What is on the tag on the rear apron of the chassis?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat May 02, 2015 7:43 pm

I will have to get back to AZ, now in CA and take some pictures of the tag, I don't seem to have any in my photobucket account. The dang little radio really does well with a short antenna and the A/C power supply I built into a small aluminium box and covered with some graphics.
Let's see some pictures of other radios as well from all of you that you could never identify.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 03, 2015 8:20 pm

I'm not too sorry to say that all the radios I've purchased were identified by me before purchasing them. There are no sources for a local "impulse buy" of an old radio. I guess the carpetbaggers got'm all. Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Since Jerry likes to talk about working on radios, I have worked on two or three lately, and will share if you guys are interested. Or maybe if you're not. Very Happy

The litte Japanese-built set I got, an Encore 50-E, suffered from the old "stuck powerswitch" syndrome we discussed earlier. I am happy to report that the recommended fix worked. I tipped the chassis up on its backside so the switch was accessible, gave the switch and volume control a healthy drink of De-Oxit, worked the control vigorously for a few cycles, and watched my ohmmeter. After about two dozen cycles, the switch started working, and is working just fine still. This little radio is incredibly tiny. It makes my Arvin 444-A metal midget look like a Concert Grand in comparison. The Encore has five tubes, but only one IF transformer, so its performance is about on par with what you would expect with a four-tube cheap radio. I listened to the Grand Ole Opry on it, and I can report that high fidelity is not its strong suite. But it is cute and I'm glad to finally have one of these little sets in my collection. I'm not going to recap it or do anything else to it for the time being. I cleaned the cabinet and chassis well and put it on the display shelf.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 am

OK, nice WC. I have pretty much stopped restoring radios for a number of mental/physical problems. My friend in Prescot AZ sends one or two out for me when in CA in my little shop. Enough to keep me trying. I have brought a bunch of radios to life in the last 13 years but really slowing down.
I now have a Crosley 665 on my little bench out here. I will take some pictures but I will slowly work my way through it. If the brain gets stuck, I will ask for some help! Mostly, it just takes a long time.
I do like to help people with my little knowledge, help comes easier than manually doing it myself, if that makes sense.
We need some newbies to help.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 12:15 am

I've got a GE clock radio that has been kicking my butt for almost 5 years. It is a model 515-F and if the cabinet was not so nice, I would have sledgehammered it by now. Long story short, it only receives one station, a religious shortwave station no less, all across the dial or nowhere on the dial. I can get a signal from my generator thru it, and I believe I have it aligned as well as I can get it. I have recapped it and changed any out of range resistors. I have no idea what is wrong with this set. And how and why I get a shortwave station from a broadcast reciever. This is my one and only GE "dipped solder" chassis, and it will be my last.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 am

Try bad mica caps in oscillator circuit, played with tuner adjustments, a corroded oscillator adjustment on tuner causing it to mess up frequencies, open antenna coil, leaky miniature IF transformer...... Is that enough???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 am

You probably aren't really receiving shortwave, but, a harmonic shortwave station from the problem it has.
By the way, bent, or, corroded tuner plates can also cause a lot of trouble, as well......

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 10:23 am

I have checked for bent plates. I even used an ohmmeter to check it that way. My thinking at this point is one of the IF transformers is wonky, maybe SMD. None of the telltale signs of SMD, though. No positive voltage on the next grid, no static. I can receive this station any place on the dial. Or no place. Sometimes the radio is plain dead until I whack the chassis, then I hear the preacher. It seems like NONE of the known procedures for troubleshooting will work on this radio. For pity's sake the thing is just an AA5. The problem has to be fairly simple.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 am

Perhaps one of the tubes is shorting out, a problem not all tube testers show, and, or, poor contact to socket. Start by wiggling tubes. Especially the 12BE6 Oscillator. Try a known working set of tubes in it. I'd suspect three tube. Including the 12AV6. If the detector section is dead, that can cause problems.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 am

Also try tapping the tubes.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 11:37 am

This has a dip-soldered chassis where the tubes it are in raised thingies on the chassis. I'm beginning to wonder if I have missed some components between the two sections of the chassis. You mentioned the oscillator adjustment on the tuning cap. I'm not sure it is exactly 100%. The tubes I had not suspected, so thanks for that idea. The tube sockets are not very good, either. I think I need to start from square one and go through everything again, like you said. I'm overlooking something. The only thing I am relatively certain of is that I have a good power supply and that the audio section is working.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 11:43 am

There's nothing between the connectors, and, chassis. Look for the easiest problems first.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Okay.  I tinkered with the GE some this afternoon.  I really don't know anymore than I did.  It still won't work like it should.  Today, I could not even get the preacher on shortwave to come in.  Totally dead now across the dial.  There is a loud oscillation at the upper end of the dial that sounds like a fog horn.  Fairly quiet in the middle of the dial, and fairly normal hash at the lower end of the dial.  I subbed a complete set of tubes from a set in good working order with no change.  The tubes from the GE worked well in the other radio.  I made sure I had completely recapped this set and I had.  All the resistors check within 20% of spec.  I connected my signal generator and I can get good signal thru the 2nd IF transformer, but the first IF transformer goes into oscillation just about at peak with the dial at minumun capacity, per the alignment instructions.  The oscillator appears to be running, verified by the squeal heard in another radio.  All element voltages are close enough that the thing should work.  My thinking right now is that there is a bug in the first IF transformer somewhere, but that would only be a guess.  The tuning cap does not appear to be shorting out anywhere.  The "fog horn" oscillation at the upper end of the dial and that I get trying to peak the first IF is the same noise.  That cannot be a coincidence.  It is trying to tell me something.  I squeezed the contacts on all the tube sockets to make them tighter.  I have no clue what ails this radio.  I have made zero progress on this POS in five years or so.  I have fixed dozens since then.  I know now how Frank feels and I have been doing this a long time. There is no evidence of SMD. No positive voltage on the following grid, no static. At first blush, this is one of the simplest radios I own. It has been thoroughly kicking my butt.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 04, 2015 6:15 pm

There is continuity across the IF transformers.  The oscillator coil sits directly on top of the oscillator tube (12BE6) tube socket, and that makes it a bear to take measurements on.  I appear to have negative voltage on the grid of the oscillator tube, further evidence that the oscillator is running.  I have a known good audio section and the power supply checks good.  Maybe the preacher took the day off?  Wonder could this still be SMD?  What else can I do to prove or disprove it?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 pm

You haven't tried other tubes....
Oscilator coil sits right on top of oscillator socket???
Which grid has negative voltage. One should...
I'm not yet convinced it's an I F transformer. Reason? Generally, when they go bad two things happen. You start seeing a positive voltage where there shouldn't be. You said there wasn't. Second. Generally, you will hear static in speaker. When transformer is bad enough set will go totally dead. NOT receive sw!!
You need to be more patient, and, listen to what I recommend, first.
Try the easiest things. Have you tried tapping the tubes???
Have you tried other known good tubes? Have you cleaned noisy tube sockets???
Tubees to suspect are the 12BE6, 12BA6, and, 12AV6.
Detector section. If that is dead, or, shorted, that can easily affect the reception.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 05, 2015 12:29 am

I believe I did all you recommended. I took a set of tubes out of a radio that was working well and put them in the GE with no change. The tubes from the GE worked well in the other radio. I tapped almost everything, including tubes. I cleaned and tightened the tube socket terminals.

If the detector section had a defect, would the note from the signal generator pass thru it? I seem to have what I should from the second IF transformer on to the speaker. This is witnessed by the fact that I get a good 455khz note thru the second IF transformer. If there was a defect in the second detector, would not that kill the note from the generator?

I should have said "under the oscillator socket." It is on top when the chassis is upside down while I work on it. But, yes, the oscillator coil is mounted smack dab in the way of getting good access to the 12BE6 socket. There is not much under the chassis, but it is crowded where I need to troubleshoot the oscillator section. I have tentatively eliminated the oscillator as a possible cause of this problem.

What is your take on the oscillation when I try to peak the first IF transformer?

Thanks, Bill, and happy birthday!

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 am

Heh. Never heard of that. Might be the oscillator is running wild. Have you replaced mica caps with mica caps, new ones, of course??. Yes, you will still get a signal from your generator. It just won't be sensitive to reception.
I still think it's an oscillator problem.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 05, 2015 10:05 am

"Oscillator running wild" huh?

I referred to my file notes on this set. I keep a file folder for every set I have with service information and a synopsis of all I have done to the set. I started this file in 2009, so I have been tinkering with this set since then. Anyway, I noted at that time that the set "kind of works" with weak reception and volume. So the problem with this radio appears to be self-inflicted. I'll wager at this point that I have it so far out of alignment that it simply will not work. I am going to start my alignment over again, this time at any quiet spot on the dial, which is in the middle of the dial. See if I can get that first IF transformer to peak without oscillation. Then align the antenna and oscillator and see what happens. I don't know what else to do.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 05, 2015 11:34 am

Better to start near the low end of the band on a known weak station.
If you tune it to stronger stations it weakens the already weak stations even more.
And, when all is done, adjust your antenna trimmer for strongest reception without having to lay your hand on it for more volume. If your signal generator hasn't been properly retuned and, recapped, it will never give accurate readings. This may be a lot of what happened with the guy who gave up on the forums. He re capped oscillator. Judging from his radio repairs he wasn't ready to get into that thing. He needs to hone in on his rebuilding, something he is capable of learning. I wish he'd return, and, listen to me.. I really wanted to help him. I have had a lot of radio experience in the last fifty years.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:43 pm

There is little doubt that my troubleshooting procedures failed this time. I have done something stupid, overlooked something. Like trying to align the set to a harmonic or something like that. I have a frequency counter, but don't like it so don't use it much. This might be one of those times to not be so bull-headed and check my signal generator with the frequency counter just to be sure. It has always been spot-on in the past. It is an old Superior probably from the late 1930's.

I would like to have seen Frank stick around for awhile longer myself.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Guys, I need a quick answer. I have a chance to get a Firestone Air Chief console radio with an eye tube. I think there are 7 tubes. It is large, and, interesting design. Almost art deco. It has a large drum on the back of the tuner with 8 screw terminals on it that you are supposed to connect something to.
It's only a two gang tuner, but, this set looks very interesting to me.
They also have a Motorola tv that's been on ebay that needs help.
Their price is too high on the tv, but, they offered me a counter offer if I take both, this would include delivery to my door.
What is the radio worth in your mind's eye??
It looks very interesting to me.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue May 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Bill, it would really help if you gave a model number. The "drum" on the back suggests it may have a motor for push button tuning. Very fun and nice. Hard to tell without a model number. Those screws on the drum may be adjustable for location much like many radios to tune the stops to various locations (frequencies). If so, very fun! A seven tube counting the eye, could have at least an RF amp but not tuned (based on the two gang tuner) or a P/P output. We need more information please.

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Model R-316A

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down