What has happened to the people of this country???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What has happened to the people of this country???

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 am

I don't understand people anymore. It seems like everyone wants you to do everything for them and keep them up. I have seen way to much of this in my family. Anyway when I was around 10 my dad took this old TV into a shop. It was too costly to fix but the guy wanted to keep it for the picture tube. I was disappointed about him keeping it and he asked why. I told him I wanted it if it was junk so I could take it apart to learn about it. He asked if he gave me about 3 or 4 would I be ok with him keeping this set and I was. I was beaming over this as I have more than one to destroy. I would often go to tv shops and they gave me their junk. In the past I would always go out of my way to get stuff even if I was busy. I was appreciative also. I have noticed in the last ten years or so folks have gotten lazy. A few years ago I advertised about a truckload of computers for free. You would be surprised how many folks wanted me to bring it to them.

Then last year I advertised a scroll saw for 30 bucks which was a fair price as it was probably worth more. Then a guy wants to trade me a drill that in my area usually goes for ten bucks and I was going to have to deliver it to him an hour away. Recently I advertised a meter for 20 bucks. I don't ebay stuff and as heavy as it is would maker shipping high. Anyway this guy tells me how much he wants it but gives me some story and expects me to drop everything and bring it to him an hour away. Now don't get me wrong I understand some folks don't drive, have no way to get stuff. But most of these types I run into are not like that. I have dropped off stuff to people giving it to them. What I am ticked off is the group who give you some sad BS story you know is just an excuse to be lazy and expect you to do everything for them. Here is a ad I read locally. I thought I would contact the person until the tone at the bottom about he wants you to do it for him. If I give you something at least make the effort to get it. If he really had ambition he would figure out how to get items, no wonder so much is tossed in the dumpster. Here is his add.

I would like to have computers and computer equipment (monitors, keyboards, mice, cables, software etc,) that you donít want anymore. I donít have money but I do have ambition. Iím trying to learn computers and electronics. I could also use stereos, tvís, cd and dvd players.
Iím hoping to put some equipment together for my family and myself. Please donít ask me to come and pick up junk, I just canít afford the gas for that.
Please text or call and leave message (I don't get to answer my phone often).

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: What has happened to the people of this country???

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:27 am

Oh and here is a ad I placed wanting stuff. I put in there I was willing to buy at a reasonable price and will clean out the stuff for the folks. I had to put I will pay a reasonable price as I was contacted by a person or two that wanted hundreds for junk only worth 20 bucks. I also put I would clean up the junk. I have not gotten many replies so maybe I should put I want rare and valuable stuff for free and I will give you the joy of bringing it to me.

I am looking for old TV and radio shop items,any condition. Tubes ,parts,books,signs and test items. I look for mainly early 60s or before,RCA items and radio test items. But I am interested in all items as well if the price is reasonable. I will clean out old sheds and buildings as well.So if you have a pile of junk and don't want to clean it out let me know I may do it for you.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:26 am

I put LP's onto CD as a hobby and to amuse myself. People ask me if I will put their old records onto CD for them. I say sure, $20 a CD. Usually I can get 2 LP's on a CD plus a little more. You would think that I was trying to hold them up or something. They think that is a horrible price. I have to use my time, my computer, my stereo system, I had to buy the software, this all adds up. The needle for my turntable costs money and they always bring ratty, nasty, dirty old rock and roll records that have been out in the shed for 30 years. I have almost totally quit doing repairs and things for other people. They do not appreciate it, and all I get is misery. I left some noise on a lead-in. They do not like the way I oriented the material. I wanted this song first, or last, or not at all. It is really unfortunate. There are not many of us left who will work on this old stuff. No professional shop around here will. There is nobody within 200 miles of here that will work on an old radio, a CRT TV, or a record player. I find most of the things I work on at farm auctions. I find a better class of material, friendlier people, a more pleasant buying experience and I can pay the price I think is fair. And it is fun.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:35 am

I have had someone wanted me to give them one or two of my radios from my collection! Also that same person wanted all the hand hooked wool rugs my mother made, they would more than likely show up on EBay or Craigslist if that woman had them. Guess she must have thought I was a dumb kid.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Doug Burskey wrote:I have had someone wanted me to give them one or two of my radios from my collection! Also that same person wanted all the hand hooked wool rugs my mother made, they would more than likely show up on EBay or Craigslist if that woman had them. Guess she must have thought I was a dumb kid.
Sounds like a relative, I am related to some like that. †I know someone that has a "problem" with a hand.Now this person can do anything they want to but one time they were "woe pitiful me I am crippled because my hand hurts". †I told them wait to you get my age and you hurt all over. I said I get up and go about my days chores just glad that I still can. Now this person gets a disability check , probably welfare and lives in someones house. I know some folks are disabled and such but the way I am I am going to do for myself, I hate to be a burden to others. But some seem to delite in getting folks to do for them.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:31 pm

In our family, that is known as the "Aunt Helen" syndrome. My grandpa's half sister was a maiden lady all her life. She was forever calling grandpa and complaining how poor she was. How she was sure she had "et" her last meal. How she was sure to freeze without any good stoker coal. How they were on their way out to shut off her lights. How this old chair has her "rumitiz" all stirred up. So grandpa would buy her a Lazy Boy, bring her stoker coal, buy her groceries when they did "the tradin'" and mowed her grass. He essentially had two wives, a fact that grandma would point out occasionally. When Aunt Helen died, she left grandpa almost $200,000 that she had "saved up from the crop money" for almost 50 years. She had all that money because grandpa had paid for everything for almost 50 years.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Consider your Grandpa lucky Wildcat. My half sister was "poor". They had it "hard " because they were "poor" . My parents bought her cars,houses,food ,you name it. I bet my parents spent 200k on her and her family since 1980. My parents did help me through comunity college but thats when it was cheap and years ago. After I got out and got on my own my wife and I have taken care of ourselves. One time my dad came to me and wanted me to get his planer and his table saw. I didn't want to until he told me this. He said I want you to get it because the way your sister is doing us you won't get any inheritance, so I want you to get at least something. I eventually was able to get his old tractor I need to get rebuilt one day. But I still have those three items. I have spent way more than the value trying to help my sister and mom since my dads death. Now my sister has passed and her boys have nothing. Add to that my mom is now keeping up a nephew. Someone and I suspect it is my nephew has gotten rid of everything my dad had in the barn. There is nothing left. He had oak,walnut,cedar and other stacks in there, probably a tractor trailler load or two. He also had all kinds of old tools and antique machinery. She won't speak to me now but thats fine. I can take care of myself as I have done for many years.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Aunt Helen was the coolest old lady. She could spit tobacco juice all the way across the lawn. She tipped a jug and could cook 'shine with the best of them. Her white liquor recipe was legendary. She could cuss and make a sailor blush. She knew all the best dirty jokes. She made the best chocolate chip cookies you ever wrapped your gums around. She could cook road kill possum and make it taste "like chicken!". She wore a working waist and clodhoppers, always starched and immaculately shined. She could pray like the Pope and taught Sunday school all her life. She was a great old gal, and everybody loved her. She could sure be a whiny old soul who knew how to play grandpa like a cheap fiddle.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:12 pm

Those people do that stuff because I guess, with some people, they can. Such folks hate my guts. They are fighting me for my money and I will beat the ____ out of them to keep it. As far as I'm concerned, they may as well be trying to "play" an ATM.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:21 pm

I had an aunt Helen too, She was a fine lady. I guess I missed out on having a character, but she did just fine for me. It seems like both sides of my family weren't very peculiar. There were plenty of folk around my small town that performed that public service for us unfortunates. :-)
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:52 pm

One thing is that the generation that grew up around the depression is dead or dying, and their children are overcompensating. †My mom had the sale money from our house, over $50,000 and wouldn't touch it to eat.

Now I'm expected to buy a Blu-Ray player because my next door neighbor has one.

BTW- r.e. Craigslist. †What I hate are the people who call for directions, "I'm on my way", and never show up.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm

That can be a mixed blessing. Usually it's only one craigslister I want to see anyway. The one showing up with the requisite cash and the intent to buy. The rest can space off.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Selling on Craigslist is like fishing. For every fish you catch, three others have taken your bait. Buying on Craigslist is really no different. People are not home when I get there. I call them and they tell me they did not expect me to show up.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top