Hello from northern lower Michigan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from northern lower Michigan

Post by curbsidefinds on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm a new member, thanks to Bill Cahill who figured out where my misdirected registration had landed. I've been fascinated by old radios and audio devices since childhood. My Dad had an All-American Five table radio, a wartime device of unspecified manufacture, that I wanted to take apart. I didn't realize that radios don't really come apart like mechanical devices but that didn't stop me from taking a screwdriver to the IF transformer trimmer screws. Some day I'll drag that one out and get it going.

Any orphan electronic device is welcome in my house, although I'm running out of room and was happy when the latest find, a 1951 Philco radio-phono console, had been sitting out in the weather all winter so the cabinet was delaminated and disposable. My devices range from a 1924 Crosley VI and a Radiola 17 (my grandfather's first AC radio) up through the '30s, '40s, '50s and on to modern ones. The whole idea of snagging tiny signals from the air is just fascinating.

My other interests are sailing and boats, bicycling, cars, and music.

Chris Campbell
Traverse City, MI

curbsidefinds

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from northern lower Michigan

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Welcome to TRF, Chris!

My wife was raised in that neck of the woods.  We have friends and relatives in TC.  Welcome aboard.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by curbsidefinds on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:26 pm

I'm not a native, but my family has been in the region (Manistee, Cadillac) for a long time, and a distant cousin was buried in TC in 1914 in an unmarked grave in the Civil War section of the cemetery. About 6 years ago a Civil War reenactors' group discovered the grave without a marker and convinced the VA to spring for an official Civil War era headstone. They then had a big ceremony, complete with a bronze cannon. I surprised them by showing up, the only relative there.

This is a wonderful place to live.

Chris Campbell

curbsidefinds

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Welcome!
Tony V

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm a transplanted yankee from Kalamazoo, welcome again to the forums!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Kalamazoo!!!!!! I used to live in Herper Woods Michigan, which was a suburb of Detroit. Sad. It's all ghetto, now. I moved to thick necked Kalamazoo in 1980. When did you move out? I moved from Kalamazoo to Florida in April, 1986...

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 pm

I moved out 10 years later. I lived there from '91 to '96 The day I left it was driving snow 2 ft. deep. I drove straight to Atlanta. It was 55 degrees and dry. My car looked like a premium saltine cracker with extra salt.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:44 pm

When my friend Patrick Reynolds drove me, and, my Salucki mix Buster to Florida, Michigan had heavy snow on the ground, sunny, and, FREEZING cold! We had us packed into a diesel van. Took three days to drive here.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Hey, 75, wanna be a transporter for me to get goodies I can't afford to ship????????

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:57 pm

My last long range run was to Indiana and back for my high school reunion a few years ago. I'm about over that now! Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Yes, but, ddn't you say you live in Georgia? I'm practically next door to you in St. Petersburg, Florida. Tampa Bay area.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:43 pm

I do, but my road runnin' days are about behind me. I used to have a neighbor that drove a truck back and forth down that way, but he abandoned his mortgage and moved to the sticks.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

Bill Cahill wrote:Yes, but, ddn't  you say you live in Georgia? I'm practically next door to you in St. Petersburg, Florida. Tampa Bay area.

St. Petersburg? I have a uncle who lives a couple of ours from you in a place called Sanford I think, its just outside of Orlando. He use to come up a lot before he got elderly. I heard he was a builder down there with his own small business. I didn't realize just how well he did until I saw a picture of him down there in the newspaper. He had his Terex bucket loader at the church he went to. He was in the bucket and someone was raising him and the new church steeple to the roof of the church. The bucket was so huge it was taller than I think he was. Come to find out his business wasn't so small, he was one of the contractors who built the disney world complex there. He retired around 50 and has invited me down there. I have never been able to make it. Anyway I have always heard it was nice there and I would love to visit there sometime but never have.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:15 am

'C'mmon down!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 am

Bill Cahill wrote:'C'mmon down!

I would love to get away sometime and travel. But too many commitments because of elderly family and the cash flow needed keeps me right here. I was born just outside of Memphis which is a 4 to 6 hour drive from me now. The last time I was there was in 72 and I have wanted to go back since I have grown up. Maybe one day. After the MIL passes, our daughter graduates college and I can retire we just might make a good road trip and move somewhere else. We loved Albuquerque NM and I loved Tuscon when I lived there. If our daughter moves out west somewhere I can see us selling out and moving west. For now its a pipe dream to travel. Too many people depend on us.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top