One more!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

One more!

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Special, another that summarizes life.  Sorry but getting old.  Another one that is special.  Very nicely done.  After all, most is fixing Ford pickup but nice information on describing various engines. Very Happy  Very Happy
Just trying to get some conversation going!
Jerry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkbj56bnYs

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add a bit)

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: One more!

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 am

The announcer was Mr Television, Jud Collins if I am not mistaken. He was a announcer on WSM radio then he went to WSM TV. He was one of the first news anchors in Nashville. I remember seeing him on TV news when I was a kid.  Another WSM reporter was Dan Miller. You may remember Dan from the short lived Pat Sajak show or whatever it was called. They both worked at WSM. Another reporter from here in TN was Huell Houser who did a show I think called California Gold. I have met both Huell and Dan. Dan was a tall fellow at least 6 ft 4 inches if I am not mistaken.

Sorry about getting off track. I remember Jim Ed Brown. Every so often he pops up on local TV ,Here in Nashville. He did some TV commercials here locally a few years back but I don't remember what they were for.  To me real country music started dying off in the 60s then you had some decent stuff in the 80s but then it went "Hollywood" and turned into something resembling pop. I will take Marty Robbins or Jim Ed Brown any day over these new "hick"leberry hounds sound any day. Some new group may see this looking for a name and they may start calling themselves the Hickleberry hounds. Probably will sound like every other overtanned, drunken,cowboy dressing country band out there now days.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 am

The version the Lettermen did on "You'll never walk alone" Was also great. I also listened to "Beep, Beep", "Mr. Custer", "Hello, Muddah, hellod, Faddah". All big favorites in my record collection. I want more Alan Sherman lp's.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:31 pm

The Browns also did a good cover of an old Sammy Kaye tune, " The Ol' Lamp Lighter " ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Very nice, but my favorites are swing, jazz and bop.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:42 pm

75X11 wrote:Very nice, but my favorites are swing, jazz and bop.

Bop? Kids bop?
My favorites are swing and jazz as well. Recently I have been getting into the 50s and 50s stuff like Dean Martin,Percy Faith,Ferrante and Teicher just to name a few. Since I got a late 50s Zenith record player going I have been finding these records at goodwill and getting them. I have probably got over 100 in the last few months.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Kids like Illinois Jacquet and Dizzy Gillespie, I reckon.  Try "Kenton In Hi Fi" while you are trying new things. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Thank you, Willy, for identifying the announcer. You know my affinity for trivia. Very Happy

I have the first album by the Browns, introducing the "sensational" Jim Ed Brown, a lad of 18, in 1960. "The Browns Sing Their Hits" on RCA, LSP-2260, in "Living Stereo." Maxine, Bonnie and Jim Ed Brown.

Country music was murdered in the '80's by Garth Brooks and Clint Black.

I like any music you can hum and you can identify the instruments in. The crap they record currently is noise. Screech, bang and twang. Garbage.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm the same way most any music that I can hum and identify the instruments is what I listen to. I have started to enjoy the classic big bands Goodman, Miller, Shaw, Harry James etc.
I have people ask me "why do you listen to that? at your age you should listen to........ FM radio is a big turn off around here nothing I care to listen to.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:Thank you, Willy, for identifying the announcer.  You know my affinity for trivia.  Very Happy

WC

No Problem. I remember seeing him on wsm TV or at least I think it was when I was a kid. Here is a link to some info on him by Dan Miller. My wifes aunt and uncle were Dans neighbor for years. They said he was a very nice man, I can believe it. I lived within walking distance from the WSM TV studios back in the 80s. I went into this convenence store one day and saw him. I am 6ft 2 and he was taller than I was. Anyway he was full of smiles and called the store worker by name.

75x11 I gotcha now, They call it bebop or something like it. I like those as well, we have the same tastes.

On a side note this past weekend I picked up a Dottie West album. don't listen to country music but I bought it due to my dad being her cousin.

Now Marty Robbins? I could listen to him all day. I lived in Tuscon around 69-71 and he was huge there at that time. Thats when I got to be a fan of Robbins. I loved AZ. oh well, stuck here in TN.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Here is one that I like. A small group recording from WWII with Coleman Hawkins on sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzBdxfr0XOc
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 am

Let us not forget the Righteous Brothers and "unchained melody". If I understand correctly the most played song on radio ever. Other versions just don't match up. Elvis did it late in his career, no contest. I could never get into jazz, my bad. I like a message in voice. I did have a Ray Connif (sp) singers album I liked! Big band, sorry.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:14 am

75x11 and others, if you like piano music and the music of the early 20th century check out the movie the legend of 1900. It is a really good movie. Here is a scene from it of a duel with Jelly Roll Morton, its a little long but worth it if you like hearing a piano.

Here is another scene from the movie, shorter but to me has a funny twist.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am

Very good! Morton left behind quite a body of work on piano rolls that allow one to hear a faithful rendition of his pieces. Some other Pianists have done well composing and leading bands. Here is one with his composition and arrangement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZsP-8ZP94
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:24 pm

I like big band music. The problem with big band is that most if it was recorded in mono, and a lot more of it was on 78's. This tends to make its audio quality not the best. Attempts to "electronically reprocess" this material for stereo has mostly ended up making it sound worse. The later material by Lawrence Welk, Ray Conniff, Percy Faith and those artists has better audio quality, but is just not the same as the real McCoy.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Not always so. Decca, and, Columbia had some of the best fidelity.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Yah. I know. Traitor................... Yep. I sure am.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:50 pm

Some did have good fidelity, especially Decca. And if the records are in good condition. Many currently are not in very good condition. But the old 78's were not stereo. I appreciate your opinion on this. Some of the mono record players sounded pretty good, but again, were not stereo.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:59 pm

I have a 2 CD Duke Ellington set that was taken from recordings made by a teen that got a record cutting lathe. It was mono, but the sound quality was mighty good with no tone distortion. He recorded it with one mike on stage, in 1940 and except for the skips when the cuttings passed under the stylus and the record changes, it sounded like a good tape recording. There are some good live recordings out there.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Patsy is dandy, most of the other stuff I like is after High School.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:56 pm

WC, +1 to Ray and Percy, -500 for Lawrence.  I have never listened to vinyl from Lawrence but in the early days my Dad worked security in the evening is So. Ca. he was a police officer (second job).  He was not a pleasant person according to dad. This was his "live" program.  Perhaps recordings are better when you don't have to listen to him harp about the next singers?
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:35 pm

jerryhawthorne wrote:WC, +1 to Ray and Percy, -500 for Lawrence.  I have never listened to vinyl from Lawrence but in the early days my Dad worked security in the evening is So. Ca. he was a police officer (second job).  He was not a pleasant person according to dad. This was his "live" program.   Perhaps recordings are better when you don't have to listen to him harp about the next singers?
Jerry

Lawrence Welk wasn't Vonderful,Vonderful? Back in the 70s or 80s people said Lawrence tried to buy this huge estate locally. Its a huge house,more like a mansion. They said he wanted to retire here.

One reason I love the 50s and 60s stuff so much it reminds me of my Uncle and Aunt who lived in Huntington Beach California. I loved going to their house. Those were some of my best memories from childhood. If you have ever read a book called "a child called it" you get an idea of my childhood. Anyway my uncle looked like he could have been a member of the rat pack. He looked like the drawings of D.B. Cooper. He had a funny sense of humor and was always telling jokes. He had a large selection of records from this era,Dean Martin,percy faith,etc. And I have got to where I absolutely love that era of music. I use to listen to Montavoni going to work 20 years ago. I really got into them recently since I got my Zenith record player going. I even picked up a Julie London record,nurse Dixie if you remember Emergency. Thats when women were beautiful and refined. I don't get the slob and tatooed look popular now. Bring back the days of suits and ties on airplanes if I had my way. Maybe I was born too late. I can play my records and when I get my 48 philco TV going I can watch I love Lucy.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:55 pm

I would imagine that one's opinion of how nice a guy LW was would depend upon which LW you were talking about.

One Lawrence Welk was fiercely patriotic, unflaggingly loyal and deeply religious. His fans were loyal to him and he to them. His TV show was a hodge podge of talent and themes. His band could play any kind of music there was with aplomb. The sound on his TV show was among the worst in the industry, even in the days when sound on TV was not something anybody worried about. It is common to hear people talking in the background and hear hammering on sets during performances. His recordings, however, were another matter. He was a stickler for absolute perfection. He was among the first artist to record in stereo. When the engineers at Decca records would not record to his specifications, he and Randy Wood took the moribund Dot label and turned it into one of the premier labels, as far as recording excellence was concerned. Some of his early stereo recordings are among the best of the "hyper-stereo" recordings common in the late 1950's.

The other Lawrence Welk was a ruthless businessman who tied the members of his "musical family" to long-term, iron-clad exclusive contracts. Anything these performers did was under the supervision of LW. Any kind of negative publicity or hanky-panky would get you tossed off the show. He got rid of Alice Lon, then the "Champagne Lady" in the late 1950's for showing too much leg at rehearsal. When Jo Ann Castle got in a jam concerning a domestic situation, it spelled the end for her on the show. She was one of the most popular performers on the show, but that made no difference to LW. What other artist, dead since 1992, still has a show on TV, lasting well over 50 years.

There are no middle of the road opinions about Lawrence Welk. You either love him or not. His Welk Group owns the rights to many of the better artists, now long gone. I have collected Lawrence Welk records and memorabilia since 1959.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:21 am

But, his shows are now reruns. Another two faced person was Arthur Godfrey. He acted like a great, comical guy to the public, but, was strict with his employees. He was egotistical. When his most popular male vocalist started dating, with plans of marriage, good 'ol Arthur fired  him. He permanently lost popularity after that....
In fact, he fired the guy right on the show. He asked the guy if he was dating, and, he said yes, with intentions of marrying. Arthur's replay was "Well that's nice, because you're fired".

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:33 pm

That was Julius LaRosa, I believe. That was a case of LaRosa cutting off the limb he was sitting on and the tree fell down, with him remaining high and famous.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum