Music

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Being born in 1944, the early 60's had some of the music that made the most to me.  Let me know what you like.  This is one of my favorites, it just seems to carry a message the the new stuff just doesn't. It just works for me with my wife of 49 years.  I hope this link will work.  If it does, my next will be posted "Three Bells" by the Browns.  Ever heard it?
Jerry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ga9Bs4fzSY

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Music

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 am

I don't remember it. But it is reminiscent of the 60s folk sounds. The funny thing to me is that the singers remind me of my middle school teachers back in the 70s. They looked like that. I have a original Gold Record that was awarded for the song Judy in disguise by John Fred and his playboy band. You remember that?

Here is a one hit wonder you probably won't. One of the singers on the record had a granddaughter that married my nephew. She is a lot like her grandmother, she produced a one hit wonder, my nephews daughter , and then you never heard from her again. Laughing  She left out from them and he has custody of their daughter.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 am

My favorites included Peter, Paul, and, Mary, and, the Kingston Trio.
I also like The entire album of "You'll never walk alone" by the Lettermen.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Good stuff, Jerry. Thanks for the memories.

My favorite music is the Nashville Sound current from 1959 thru 1968 or so.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm

dion and the belmonts --I wonder why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAPEfdjvTqE

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 pm

Or the Platters, "Remember When".

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 pm

Judith always set the bar for quartets. Mamas & Papas did it right, too.

The Tremeloes' "Silence is Golden" was well done.

DG

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:03 am

My Bill, I love your choices.  I might add the New Christy Minstrel singers with Randy Sparks.  I really like  "Today".  WC, "Smoke gets in your eyes" with the Platters. Back in the early 80's I saw what was left of the original group and an add on or two live. Brought tears to my eyes!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 am

All good stuff, guys. Most of the titles you are giving I wish I had on 45 RPM records. I play a lot of my fourty fives on my 1950 RCA Victor three way combination. Great music. I also love Al de vry. I have a promotional copy on yellow label Capitol that I love both sides of. "Those were the days", and, "Le Boulevard".

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:43 pm

I had a girlfriend one time who would get real frisky if I put on Dinah Washington "What A Difference A Day Makes" or Marty Robbins "Try A Little Tenderness." I married her, and she still likes those songs, although she is not as frisky as she was back then. Rolling Eyes

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:52 pm

WC, seems the frisky just dies down but the music still sounds great. You and Bill seem to like the same stuff I do. The wife is into Elvis but what can I say? Some good stuff done and saw him live in his later life. Good but I would take the Platters over him. Seems you and Bill enjoy the same music I do. Scary! Some good stuff from Crystal Gayle and Judy Collins in a few years later. We can't forget Joan Baez.
Jerry
Sorry to have start these threads but fun to get peoples thoughts and feelings. Sorry 75, you have different tastes in music. That is what music is all about. Very Happy

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:15 pm

You lost me on Crystal Gayle, Judy Collins and Joan Baez, though. My taste in girl singers is more "classic" if you will. Patsy Cline, Connie Francis, Helen O'Connell or Rosie Clooney.

Elvis Presley's strong suite was gospel music. Most of the gospel material he recorded was "off the record" (pardon the pun) and was largely unrehearsed. They just let it rip and put it on tape. Much of it was not released until after his death. He was aided and abetted in this effort by the likes of Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, JD Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, The Jordainaires, Hobie Lister, The Goodman Family. There is not a religious bone in my body, but when I pass, I want somebody to play Elvis Presley's "Mansion On A Hilltop" on my Concert Grand stereo. Some of Elvis' early rock and roll material was okay, but his later stuff was unfortunate. He died too young, no doubt. He might have had a decent country music career like Jerry Lee Lewis and Conway Twitty had he lived longer.

Music is like cars and women. If everybody like the same thing, I would probably have to do without.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:17 pm

The only Judy Collins I like is "Amazing Grace".

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:25 pm

Bill, just going back to this old thread and Judy and Amazing Grace was the vinyl that really tested my Dual 1229 for some reason. It took a bit of work to getting it handling her clear highs. Damn she could break crystal glass with her highs. I'm still getting into the seekers and Judith's lovely voices and the songs from back there. I need to find some vinyl of their recordings. So much nice from back in that era. I guess we are just getting old but that stuff brings back memories. I love harmony and a good female voice. What can I say? Music with a message. Most of the new stuff and no message and singers that carry a note. JMHO.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:36 pm

I always found this ladies' music to be pleasant..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOEE-kR-Txg
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:14 pm

I forgot about her 75, never had any records but a pleasant voice as well. Thanks for the memories.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top