CFL emitting EMF

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CFL emitting EMF

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:04 pm

I seen this video on facebook and it kinda irritated me. This guy is trying to make CFL bulbs out to be dangerous because they emit some EMF.. He obviously is not very bright if he does not realize that all florescent fixtures emit some EMF and lot's of other things also emit some EMF. So basically in this video this guy turns on a CFL bulb and uses some type of "radiation" meter to show how bad these bulbs are. what do you guys think about this? https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205111867029436&fref=nf
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: CFL emitting EMF

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:34 pm

They do have some kind of dangerous gas, but, the worst of it is in the base. IC chips, and, the like. They run very hot, and, at least the early ones overheated the sockets, and, caught on fire.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Right. I don't see that as a main concern to just up and stop using them. Some do run fairly warm that I have but not nearly as hot as a normal bulb. I know the early ones did catch fire often. Any of the ones i've had have not caught fire but certain ones would fail quite early.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:30 pm

I just don't like the RFI that fluorescents generate that interferes with my radio reception. The guy afraid of EMI would have his head explode if he became cognizant of all the magnetic forces about him. Most folk spreading such fear are trying to be portentous, because they think it lends personal worth.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 pm

I try to avoid CFL's if I can.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:38 am

I don't have a cfl in the house. Happily, I'm still building up a supply of incandescents.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:59 pm

Do not get me started.  I use incandescent and I've stocked up.  I help manage property and these things seldom last as long as claimed, and they are more expensive.  I also believe they emit more RFI because it's a freakin' circuit board.  And when they do burn out they stink.  Just another business making millions on the "Climate Change" scare.

BTW- you can get a new "Warm" incandescent 'type' bulb which converts blue LEDs into "White" light.  The price for a 25 Watt?  $15.

I get 4 100 watt for $2.  

P.S. The 100 watt bulbs are rebranded as 75 because it is Illegal to sell a 100 watt incandescent bulb.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:25 pm

So that's why 75 watt bulbs seem brighter than previously! Very Happy

My wife said it was my imagination.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:37 pm

I get them at Family Dollar.  The bulb obviously said 100 watts and then there is a stamp over it that says 75 watts Humm.

What?  You think the manufacturer is going to sit around with thousands of 100 watt bulbs?

Maybe they throw them at each other like snowballs. (Actually that sounds like fun.)
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:04 am

I use CFL's because my local WalMart sells a 4 pack of 13 watt bulbs for I think 88 cents or similar for the Great Value brand. The price is so cheap because it is some kind of deal through our local electric company(American Electric Power). I also buy the halogen bulbs that look like regular incandescent bulbs. They are basically a small halogen in a glass shell(I had one break and it was still working). I get the 72 watt ones, which are equivalent to 100 watt, they are around 3.00 a 4 pack for the Great Value brand. I've had some CFL's last quite a long time. The last ones I installed I dated with a permanent marker to keep track of the time they last, so far the two main ones use are from 7 months old, they are 23 watt daylight bulbs.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 pm

My electric company sent me 4 CFL's.  I put one at the front porch, one at the back porch and the other two are in a closet.  Why?  One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that they don't fit a regular fixture anywhere in the house.  They're too big.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 pm

One of the first CFL's I used in the house I put in inverted. It was the first to fail also, because of the heat generated by the tube. CFL's have a couple of uses around the house, but for me they are a stopgap 'til I can get cheap and useable LED bulbs. I use a large one in a torchiere fixture as the timer light while I'm at work.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:27 pm

I think what's holding up LED bulbs is the cost. It seems to me I saw a 25 watt,(real watts), 75 apparent power, for like $40. I think they are also having a problem with the color.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:53 pm

As long as you have the proper safety gear like in this photo for you and your animals you should be fine.

Seriously though I have seen all kinds of concerns. About 20 years ago when I had new computers for a classroom the teacher was really concerned about his 14 year old female students getting breast cancer from the monitors. I had to show him the info on the monitors about how low the radiation they emitted was. Even with that we had to get glass sheids to put on them that was suppose to stop it so he would not be worried. He also asked me one time if I thought he should get rabies shots since he was going to be in the woods and might run into a rabid animal. My thinking is lifes too short to worry about the sky falling. Just try to be safe and enjoy life. Leave the worries to those who wallow in fear.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Tin foil hat and tin foil cat! As for the LED's you have to gauge them as to their performance. I have a single device LED flood that is brilliant white. If I could find a light like that that would work in the manner of the old halogen torchiere lamps, that would be ideal for my living room! No, they have to make refrigerator size bulbs swaddled in so much heat sink structure, you'd think they were radioactive.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:00 pm

My mom would turn off fluorescent light fixtures to keep the heat down. In all other respects she was fairly normal.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Look, guys. We collect, and, we restore this old stuff.. Now, do you call that normal???????????? lol

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:51 pm

My mom would take iight bulbs that had burned out, and remove a new one from it's cardboard sleeve and take the burned out one and put it in in the new ones' place. She would also put them in a special drawer if there weren't any container for them and have a couple of just used ones in there to make it interesting. She never could get any of them to heal up and we had to go buy lightbulbs every time one would burn out. I would have to go buy some and get back about the time she had tried out all of her burned out ones. Life is hard.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:32 pm

75X11 wrote:My mom would take iight bulbs that had burned out, and remove a new one from it's cardboard sleeve and take the burned out one and put it in in the new ones' place.  She would also put them in a special drawer if there weren't any container for them and have a couple of just used ones in there to make it interesting.  She never could get any of them to heal up and we had to go buy lightbulbs every time one would burn out.  I would have to go buy some and get back about the time she had tried out all of her burned out ones.  Life is hard.

Life was VERY hard.  I'll bet your mom grew up during the depression.  My mom did a lot of things like that.  She was also raised on a farm.  In our house not one drop of food ever make it to the garbage.  And lights?  She'd sit in a dark room rather than have a light on "Just for sittin'".  Too bad we didn't learn those lessons from them.  Around here people throw out vacuum cleaners just because the bag is full.

Note: Not changing the subject here- just making a comment, that's all.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:01 am

I guess our moms would know each other pretty well, then. Mine taught me the value of a dollar and I guess that is what all these CFL's and LED's and such are supposed to save us. Smile
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:31 am

Then, why are they so expensive, and, burn out so quickly??

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:31 am

Bill Cahill wrote:Then, why are they so expensive, and, burn out so quickly??

So the companies can make more money. I remember buying a cheap florecent 4 ft light at walmart for about 8 bucks with bulbs back in the 80s. I used that until about 5 years ago when it finally died. Now I can't find a similar light thats suppose to be a very good light for less than 30 bucks. They don't have bulbs and your lucky if they last 2 or 3 years. The quality in items we buy and just accept them is pathetic.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

Light fixtures DO emit RF.  My landlady just replaced the florescent fixture in my bedroom.  With it on there is static in the FM radio next to my bed.  Turn it off, no static.  Of course it's probably the cheapest one she could find; but it has the FCC compliance sticker.  Obviously it is NOT in compliance.

A) I HATE having florescent lights and
B) it's in a drop ceiling.  I also hate that.
C) It's FM- Static free, right?
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

When I was working for our rich uncle as a microwave systems repairer, one of our items of test equipment was an RF line white noise generator, made by H/P. It's probe was a waveguide section with a long enclosure passing at a diagonal through the waveguide on the vertical axis. I opened the probe to have a peep what was inside. and it was a vacuum fluorescent bulb with no fluorescing coating inside. That made it dead obvious to me that fluorescent tubes emit rf. My led lamps have no further RFI than the switch applying power. The CFL's are expensive technology to deliver cheap operation.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Are you sure it isn't static hv???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down