motorola console sk675ma

Go down

motorola console sk675ma

Post by Puckfreak on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

I just picked this thing up and I am having some issues with it. It is getting power to the turntable, meaning, I plug it in, turn it on, switch on the turn table - it turns, and nothing else. No lights, no phone, no motorcars. I have pulled the tubes to check for who knows what, they seem fine. I am at a total loss here. Any ideas or similar situations that may lead to a fix? Also, does anyone know just what I have picked up? Is it worth the trouble, or should I go with some sort of modification? I am unable to find any info on this thing.

Puckfreak

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: motorola console sk675ma

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 pm

First of all, welcome to TRF!

We might be better able to help you if you would post the schematic for this instrument. If you don't have the schematic, that would be a good first step. What kind of test equipment do you have? Meters, tube tester, signal generator? How much electronic experience do you have? We will be thrilled to help and follow along with your project. It should be a worthwhile project and provide you with countless hours of enjoyment. And, they don't make them like that anymore. Good luck?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5166
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:12 pm

I would guess the unit is from the sixties. If so, you would probably need to get a Sams Photofact folder on it. That would have the schematic and servicing info.
75X11

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Puckfreak on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks for telling me about the Sams Photofact. As soon as I saw your post, I went to locate the folder. Either I have the wrong model number, which I doubt, or the unit I have it more rare than rare. I will have to look at the unit a little better to see if I have the wrong numbers. Thanks for your help!

Puckfreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Puckfreak on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Ok. I will continue to look around. The only thing I have is a diagram that is inside the console itself, but it is so basic. I do not have a lot of equipment, but could get my hands on some things. My dad used to service nuclear medical equipment, so he has plenty of things that could help. He could fix this for me, but I would like to do it through research and so forth. I do not have a lot of electronic experience, but again, can get my hands on some, and I can understand some things.

Puckfreak

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:13 am

I looked it up in my index of an older series by Beitman and it only goes up to 1966 and the SK model numbers I could find as high as the upper 100's. Chech our links and parts forums, they will have some sources for Photofacts, which were published more recently.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:46 am

Some of the Motorolas have a separate on off switch on the controls. I hope you recapped it first....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4582
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Here might be a start.  Someone who has dealt with Radiomuseum.org might be able to help the OP with more details.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_sk675sk_67_ch_hs_1012_hs.html
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks, 75.

I would start by getting out the voltmeter and making some voltage measurements. Find out if you have power thru the switch to the primary of the power transformer. An instrument completely dead is sometimes the easiest to troubleshoot. Good luck

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5166
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Thanks!

Post by Puckfreak on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:03 pm

I really appreciate the help that I have received thus far. I will look at everything that has been suggested and hopefully this thing can be fired up soon!
Thanks again!

Puckfreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Puckfreak on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Some of the Motorolas have a separate on off switch on the controls. I hope you recapped it first....

What do you mean by recapped?

Puckfreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Replace paper and electrolytic capacitors. These are notorious for going bad after years of service. When they fail, they can cause major damage elsewhere.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21 pm

http://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

This site will help you get a little more familiar with the process. Also, do a bit of surfing around on the forum, there's a wealth of information on here. If you have any questions at all, post them here. We'll all be glad to help in any way we can.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 pm

I actually have the Portable big brother of this unit the SP29 which is a 3 channel portable record player from 1962, and on mine I didn't have to replace any of the original capacitors in it because Motorola used Ceramic and Mylar Capacitors for coupling capacitors in their later tube units so the capacitors should be fine yet, but the filter caps may or may not need replacement depending on how much the unit was used over the years, mine for example still had its original filter caps intact and working perfectly because the record player was used daily by its previous owners which kept the original filter caps in good shape. if you turn on your unit and it doesn't hum then your capacitors should be fine. Also the OP's unit is a 3 channel stereo system so there's more than likely 5 speakers in his cabinet not just 3. 1962 was the last year for the all tube models for Motorola as they went solid state in 1963. The service information for your stereo is in Beitman's volume 23 from 1963, there is a website that has a downloadable PDF version of all of the Beitman's manuals. I hope this helps.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Also Just a side note about the Sam's Photofacts, Sam's often times goes by chassis numbers and not by model number because of the fact that several models would use the same Chassis so it wouldn't make sense to go by model numbers but rather Chassis numbers so that you can cover more models that way when more than one model uses the same chassis design. Hope this helps. I would look through my Sam's Photofact collection but mine only covers up through 1960.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum