Atwater Kent Model 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Atwater Kent Model 40

Post by CharlesD on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi, all.  This is my first post, although I am not new to old radio fun and games.  My question – I am working on an Atwater Kent Model 40, and I notice the three sections of the tuning capacitor do not open together - when the second and third sections are fully closed, the first section, nearest the antenna terminal, is open about 30 degrees.  Is this normal, or should I reset it to be fully closed when the others are fully closed.  The set screws on its pulley are tight, and do not look to have been loosened.  The set is not yet ready to be turned on (but almost).  Thanks.

CharlesD

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Atwater Kent Model 40

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Welcome to TRF!

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm not familiar with the receiver, but I did a search and found a page that has a number of photos of different units' layouts.  Here is a link, in the event it might help.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=atwater+kent+model+40&FORM=HDRSC2#a
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:48 am

Hi. Welcome to TRF. First, to answer your question, I think, from memory, that that setting is correct from the factory. It's been quite awhile since I have had an AK 40, but, I believe that's right.
Warning, If you don't plan on a complete restoration, I wouldn't use this as a daily radio. First, all the older sets have paper capacitors, which I'm sure you know are not reliable. To make matters worse, the filters used in most of the radios from this era, including Atwater Kent had all the power supply capacitors, filter chokes, and, some other surprises built into the power supply, encased in this case in Tar. The power transformer is also in there. Back then, they used fairly low paper capacitors such as 1,2,or, 3 mfd at 600 volts due to the high surge when the radio is first turned on. Also, some radios just plain ran on high voltages such as 400 volts DC in some sections, including where the horn speaker connects.
That's why they were high resistance speakers.

And, there may also be high  voltage on one, or, more of the tuner sections. Most companies, including RCA, Edison, Philco, Majestic, etc., did this regularly. Heck. I've even seen some fifties, and, sixties radios that had higher voltage on the oscillator section.

Pleas feel free to introduce yourself to the other members in the new member forums.
Welcome aboard!!!!
Maybe you can help us help another new member by the name of Frank. He's a newbie, and, mixed up, with  everything. Please help if you can. Thanks.
If you are into phonographs, wind up, and, otherwise, and, TV's, there are many interesting threads by a number of people in them, including, but, not to say there was nobody else, because there are, myself, and, one of our moderators here who is on a very interesting project with a deluxe Magnavox stereo..

Glad to have you...

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlesD on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for your good reply.  To address your thoughts, I have been recapping/restoring old radios since my teens (I won’t say how long ago that was), and I agree your concerns are valid.  I have replaced all of the electrolyics and paper caps in this set, including those in the power supply, and the non-wirewound resistors also, following suggestions in this forum.  I have done a similar set, an A-K Model 55C.  And I have the schematics from the Internet.  I’m puzzled by your reference to a B+ voltage surge when the radio is first turned on - if the rectifier tube is cold when first turned on, how is there a voltage surge?

This morning I was working on the Model 40, and got the first half of it working.  I put the RF input of my signal tracer on the grid of the detector, and got 2 local stations. Couldn’t get anything on the plate - don’t know why just yet - will get into that tomorrow.  (I know the 2nd interstage audio transformer is bad - I have one on order from Antique Radios.)

You mentioned wind-up phonographs - I have an Edison wind-up record player my step mother had, which I would like to clean up and get back into working order...sometime.

I am glad to help the newbie Frank.  How do I contact him, and what does he need?  (Although I am far from being an expert; that's why I like this forum.)

Thanks again

CharlesD

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:14 pm

He is just trying to learn electronics, and, is frustrated on a five tube radio. There is a thread on it. He gave up. He knows almost nothing about electronics, and, some of the advice others gave him were confusing, too advanced for him, and, he seems to have quit.
He needs encouragement, along with a simple way to check things out. Everything to me points to a bad I F transformer, and, I keep asking him to check voltages on the volume control to confirm it.
He needs a lot of help, but, with work, I think he can learn, and, get the radio working again.

My reference to the surge is because the rectifier warms up almost instantly. Most transformers surge when the rush of ac comes in. At 120 volts the rectifier warms up to full voltage in a couple of seconds. It's pretty fast.
I've been in electronics seriously since being a teenager. I am at my best working on antique TV's, and, have brought some basket cases back to life.
Again, welcome to the forums.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Welcome to the forum, certainly glad to get someone with your experience. My first was an AK55 and the cans were a real challenge. It is now setting in the broadcast studio reception area of 780 KAZM. I'm still a newbie but try to help. I probably confused poor Frank. It is very difficult to work with someone who is brand new to electronics. You will be a welcome addition.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlesD on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:44 pm

How do I get on the thread to help Frank?
CharlesD

CharlesD

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:52 pm

If you wish to visit the "Frank" thread, just go to the electrical restoration forum and scroll down until you find a thread that has a "ton" of pages.  I do believe he has given up on the radio.
Again,  Welcome:    Jerry

Here is a link to the Frank thread.  I do believe he has just given up.  I hate that! It makes us feel like we have failed.

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t3989-my-new-project

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlesD on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks -- I'll contact him and see if I can help.

CharlesD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top