Stovebolt engines

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Stovebolt engines

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:54 pm

One of the highest ratings from R/T and other car magazines is the BMW straight 6 for smooth power and performance.  Maybe Henry was not correct? Ragwire, thanks, it is amazing when you run out of radios to work on what idiotic ideas one can come up with!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Good workmanship and innovation should be admired whenever you see it. Great job, Jerry. Very Happy

A straight 8 idles smoothly as well. You could idle a Buick or Packard straight 8 at about 250 rpm and stand a nickel on the valve cover. Henry had his faults. He was not always right.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Ragwire wrote:
MEZLAW wrote:That was not one of Henry's better moves.  Henry didn't like the 6 cly. engine because the number of cylinders did not divide equally by the number of engine strokes.   Four strokes (in Henry's mind)  was OK with the 4 cyl. and the 8 cyl. engines.  It was just one of many decisions which caused Ford to loose the sales lead to Chevy.

Great info WC!  Very Happy  
That is odd...no pun intended. There is nothing smoother idling that a straight six. I used to just stand there and listen to the slow tickover of my '50 DeSoto 235 cu in 6...Like silk. I drive a modern V6 now, and there are certainly some engineering advantages to the vee type as well, but nothing idles as smooth as six-in-a-row-makes-it-go.

jerryhawthorne wrote:One more time, seems to work for me?
Jerry
http://madscientisthut.com/wordpress/category/joule-thief/
Jerry, you a a tinkerer's tinkerer. Hats off to ya!

It is odd! and that's why I put in parentheses in Henry's mind. It was only his belief, not the truth! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top