Gassy 6E5?

Go down

Gassy 6E5?

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm

The 6E5 eye tube in my Magnavox Imperial stereo has developed a strange fault.  When the stereo runs about 6 hours or so, and gets screeching hot, the image on the eye tube is outlined in a brighter image.  The tube still works, the radio works well on AM and FM and the stereo functions all work.  When the tube and the instrument are cold, the eye tube displays normally.  It looks kinda cool, but I'm sure this is not normal.  One would suspect an electrical component of some sort if it did it all the time.  Anybody ever seen this happen?

The first shot is with the radio tuned to FM, the second is when I am playing a CD, with the function switch on "Tape."

BTW, if you resize your photos to 640 X 480 before you upload, the process is almost instantaneous.  

See the little black spot in the second picture? Right now, that appears like a little white cataract. The stereo has been on for about two hours.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Gassy 6E5?

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Looks like gas.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4583
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:15 pm

The only other logical fault would be an associated temperature sensitive component. I have more fingers than the number of devices I have used that have such indicators.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Today, right now, the cataract appears to be moving. It is now almost down to the bottom of the display.

I strongly suspect a bad tube. This one is a NOS RCA and has not been in there a year yet. So much for NOS tubes, huh?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down