Curb Score Speakers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Curb Score Speakers

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Took a walk down the street and seen some speakers sitting in a pile of junk at the curb. I am not certain of the manufacturer or exact age. However I would estimate them to be from no later than the late 80's. I say that since they have RCA plugs on them. I haven't seen anything newer than the 80's with RCA outputs for speakers. These have an 8" woofer and about a 3" tweeter with a bass reflex hole next the the tweeter. I hooked them up to my computer speaker amp, which is 4 ohm and they were decent sounding speakers even though they are probably 8 ohm. They look like they were in a garage or basement for the past decade but will clean up nicely.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Curb Score Speakers

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Watch out!! Those are low wattage. Usually, 2.5 watt.
A few years back I picked a couple of modern speakers in sawdust cabinets in perfect shape. 15" woofer, 8" mid range, and, 3" tweeter. Rated at 100 watts. I still have them..
Congrats on your find.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for the input. I figured they would be low, but not that low. It's a good thing I didn't put them on my receiver or they may of became toast. I may end up using them down the basement on my car radio in my shop area. I can't imagine that putting out more than 10 watts per channel. Then i'd lose half the power with 8 ohm speakers. I've found similar stuff to your speakers in the past, it's just been quite sometime.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Good find! Around here anything they leave on the curb is only capable of not floating off into outer space. Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:41 pm

I use a set of cheap speakers like that as monitors in my laboratory. My Pioneer SX-1050 has not blown them yet! The tweeters gave up, but the mids and woofers still work. You might be surprised how tough those things could be. Good find! For that price, you can take them back to where you got them if you're not satisfied! Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm sure they are a bit tough, but i'd rather not take a chance. I think i'll see how they do on my old Sparkomatic radio. I image the would sound better than the Delco 6x9's, but I won't know until I try. Yes, I could take them back but thats not happening. IMO you can never have too many sets of working speakers.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:01 pm

I have a set of Fisher speakers I bought, thinking I was going to kill a fat hog and sell them. It turns out that the audio crowd turns their noses up at this particular model that I have. They have 15" woofers, so I am going to modify them to work with Magnavox dual-frequency amplifiers.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 am

Hooked these bad boys up to my old Sparkomatic radio and they sound sweet!!! Much much better than the single midrange Delco 6x9's I had on it. They may be 8 ohm speakers but they do great on my 4 ohm radio. I can crank it up and not get any clipping or distortion.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top