Tortilla Flats and the Superstition Mountains

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tortilla Flats and the Superstition Mountains

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:49 pm

The frau and I packed up the mutts and took a drive up thru the Superstition Mountains, up the Apache Trail.  We went past Canyon Lake to Tortilla Flats.  I thought that perhaps some of you "right coast" guys might not have had the opportunity to enjoy the rugged beauty of the area.  I took a couple hundred pictures.  I will include a couple and if you would like to see more, I can post them.  The small cactus was about to bloom.  The big cactus are budding, and should bloom in the next month and a half or so.  There are lots of wild flowers this year, due to the relatively rainy winter.  

The frau hates the power lines running thru the scenery.  One has to wonder how they set the power poles.

The restroom facilities at Tortilla Flat.

Hope you enjoyed the journey.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortilla Flats and the Superstition Mountains

Post by kb4yrc on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Did you find " the Lost Dutchman's Mine " ? ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Looks like the national forest sign has termites. Very Happy Beautiful scenery!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:37 am

The sign has bullet holes in it. I wish I had a 3D camera. If you look real close at one of those pictures, you can see a red square in the bottom of the picture. That square is the roof of a building.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:37 am

wow really nice open, nothing around Sad some day
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 am

Rub it in Wildcat, just rub it in. Seriously though I live it in AZ. Thats just outside Phoenix isn't it? I lived in Tuscon and I would love to move out west again. If it wasn't for my daughter and wife I would sell off most I have and move to AZ or New Mexico. I lived there for a few years in Tuscon as a kid. We only had snow once and it was gone and back up in the 60s that day. My kind of snow.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:50 am

We do not have snow in AZ. They call it "grapple." It is a mix of sleet and snow, since it is too warm to fully snow. A quarter inch rain is a big deal. The TV stations break in on programming to give a puddle by puddle synopsis of the "storm." Flash flooding is the big deal around here. There is no place for the water to go if we get any rain at all. The sandy soil around here becomes a huge mud bog when it rains. The next morning, it is dust again.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:52 pm

You make me jealous!!! Nice outhouse!!!!!
More pictures, please.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Let's see.  Maybe these?

Downtown Tortilla Flat, AZ.

How's that? Enjoy.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:We do not have snow in AZ.  They call it "grapple."  It is a mix of sleet and snow, since it is too warm to fully snow.  A quarter inch rain is a big deal.  The TV stations break in on programming to give a puddle by puddle synopsis of the "storm."  Flash flooding is the big deal around here.  There is no place for the water to go if we get any rain at all.  The sandy soil around here becomes a huge mud bog when it rains.  The next morning, it is dust again.

WC

We lived there and around 69 or 70 it snowed one morning. It was one of those 1 to 2 inch quick snows. My dad went out about 6 in the morning to make a snowman. Folks were peaking out the curtains on the windows at him then closing them quickly if you noticed them. Many of them had not seen that much snow before. They reminded me of the meerkats you see in tv popping their heads through the curtains. He got one made and in less than 30 minutes it was beginning to melt. By 10 or 11 that morning it was gone. I loved it and wished we had stayed there. Seems like we went to a place they called the Sonara desert and a mission called Sam Xaiver mission if I remember.

I remember the rains as well. When I was about 4 we lived in Memphis and I was getting a haircut. This one man in there just came from Az and it was late August. Those who live in that area understand August rain. Anyway he was telling everyone about the rain in August and how big of a deal it was like the flooding. My mom confronted him and said it was a desert and that there was no way it rains like that there. Less than a year later we were living there. We were in church one night and they let out the service quickly. No one talked after service like normal. My parents didn't want to go home so early so they drove around. Tuscon looked like a ghost town with no one out. Then it hit. It was so hard we pulled into a mall parking lot and we were floating down the lot in a 68 buick. When it quit we got home. Then when there was rain coming we were home fast. You would hear sometimes of someone out in the rain then driving off into a ditch that got killed. All it takes is one time in that mess to make you never go out in the rain.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top