Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Which State should you live in?

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:28 pm

I tried it 2 times, the first showed Florida and the second showed Texas

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:50 pm

I tried it and it said California. I have been there and I like the land and weather. I don't think I would fit in. I liked New Mexico when I went there and I lived in Arizona. Arizona and New Mexico is more my speed.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:56 pm

I tried it and it said Florida. Not likely. I'm right where I want to be.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Florida must be the discard pile. they sent me there too.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:24 pm

It said California for me. I wouldn't mind visiting there, but would not want to live there.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:27 pm

OK, it sent me to Vermont which is no doubt a lovely state but too cold for me in the winter. I should have picked "hot" instead of four seasons. I really enjoy two, warm and slightly cool.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:48 pm

I think I will pass on living in CA. One time when I was a kid, probably about 5 we flew out to see my aunt who lived in CA. I got excited because they told me we were going to the beech and to see the ocean there. That was the late 60s. We got there and we started down and they stopped me when got about half way down. I heard them talking about it being a nude beach . They wouldn't tell me what that was except that the folks were naughty there.We moved to Tuscon AZ soon after.

Then when I was about 6 I got excited because they told me we were going to Disneyland . The whole day I was dreaming about seeing my hero Mickey Mouse. We got there about 3 am the next morning and they were talking about these folks getting killed there by crazies. We went to sleep and got up the next morning and I heard them talking about another family had got killed. Something about Helter Skelter, Sharon Tate and others. So guess what, after breakfast we headed out not to see the mouse but to go back to back home to Tuscon. So when I was a wee young  fellow I learned that the road to California was a boulevard of broken promises and shattered dreams.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Jerry, I picked "hot" and they sent me to Florida. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Having lived in Nebraska, Colorado, Nevada, California, Utah and Arizona I have limited experience in sampling other states other than a lot of travel.  All are nice at the right time of the year.  I have missed the New England states.  Another adventure perhaps.  I will say, Arizona at the right altitude and California suit me best.  Right now a home in both places.  I don't like a lot of snow and have experienced it big time in my work.  I guess I just like warm.  Laughing
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Arizona is home to me. I like the Midwest, but the bugs and humidity can be a hassle. In AZ, there is neither. Except yellow wasps, but the bug man gets those. As long as my "refrigeration" keeps working and we have a pool, it does not get too hot for me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:44 am

WC, your area is just a little hot for me during the summer.  North the only bugs are the dang "no see ums".  For a month or so I don't venture outside with exposed skin.  You don't see them or feel them for a few hours and then the welts and itching starts.  We have refrigeration but the swamper work just fine during the summer.  The refer is turned on a little during the monsoon season when it is humid.  The electric bill goes sky hi.
Best,  Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:03 pm

uhhh it put me in Vermont NO NO NO I like it hot! Vermont not hot and they have snow
and I would like to be off grid
jerry what is swamper that you keep saying is that a/c ?
sam
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:42 pm

I had a swamp cooler in Utah. It is a evaporative cooler that runs water over a filtration material that the air to be cooled is drawn through.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:07 pm

A swamp cooler is one of the most atrocious contraptions ever conceived by man. Simple in operation, bizarre in result. It makes the inside of your home smell like a pile of sweaty underwear. Water is pumped over a paper medium and a squirrel cage blower runs air across the wet paper to make the air cool. It puts so much humidity in your home that the carpets get so damp you can't run a vacuum over them. The wallpaper will fall off. I spent so much time on the roof of the house working on the swamp cooler that my wife thought I had a girlfriend up there. The ideal setup would be to install the swamp cooler on a flat roof so you could have a beer refrigerator and a chair up there. Everything corrodes from hard water and makes it quit working. Refrigeration (air conditioning) is so much cheaper and better for your living environment that there is really no comparison. Swamp coolers have not been installed in homes built in the last 40 years for the most part. They are only used in older parts of town or on garages and commercial buildings. I had three in my auto repair shop and they worked out fine. I would rather live in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere than in a home with a swamp cooler. You have not missed anything if you have not messed with one, trust me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 pm

You have to admit WC our dry heat combined with A/C yields even drier air.  Lots of static and hard on skin.  What do people do?  They add a humidifier. Very Happy
Our house was built in 1985 (custom} with a roof top swamper ducted through the top floor and a central A/C unit.  We have only lived in it 14 years but never replaced the pad, winter shut down a little cleaning of the water pan.  First start up in summer and your correct a smell of dirty socks.  Seems to then go away or perhaps we get use to it!
So far the only expense was replacing the "dump pump".  A neat little devise which after 48 hours of use on the swamper will drain the water (about 5 gallons) that circulates through the system.  Fresh water then refills the pan.  Thought is that you should dump the water periodically to get rid of the concentration affect of minerals.
It works! At the end of the summer it is easy to clean and shut down.  A nice made in Arizona swamper.
Our A/C, seems that every time we start it up it needs to be recharged.  Maybe they have finally found the leak.  It only gets run a few weeks out of the year.

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:13 pm

The filter medium in mine was camel grass. At least that is what they called it. You could stand under mine and not tell it from a refrigerant based air conditioner. The humidity was hardly even noticeable.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:13 pm

I had a stainless steel Mastercool, which was "allegedly" the Rolls Royce of swamp coolers. I will admit to living in the heart of Phoenix with its hard water, but I had lots of problems. We put on two roof "refrigeration" units and my life got lots easier. AC does tend to dry out skin, but the swimming pool seems to fix that. There were two good days when I owned that house. The day we bought it and the day we sold it. This house is much easier to live with, maintenance wise, but it is also 54 years newer. A lot depends on your location, your house, and your results, I guess.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Yup WC, a Master cool. Still no rust on it! Unique pad which seems to last forever (so far).
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top