For what it is worth.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For what it is worth.....

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Has Johnson Wax taken something out of, or added something to Pledge? The last I got smells bad when it gets hot, like when it is used on tubes. I may be the only person on earth who uses Pledge for this, but it worked well for me, and it is cheap and readily available. I used it mainly to get rid of the "burning mouse pee" smell common to old tube equipment and it made glass tubes sparkly. I use regular old Lemon Pledge. What do you guys use for this purpose?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: For what it is worth.....

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I've used Pledge for over thirty years. I think they've changed the ingredients. It's even more liquid than it used to be...
Too bad. I love the lemon smelling one.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 pm

I always thought Pledge had a wax or oil component. How's the Old English smelling these days?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Common blue glass cleaner, with some white vinegar added to it.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Not on furniture. Old English is a scratch cover. Not a polish.
Pledge is still a wax.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:18 am

I used Old English on cabinets, and I don't know that it has much of a smell. Never used it on tubes or anything like that, (intentionally, anyway!). I use Windex to clean stuff, but I like lemon Pledge to make things smell good. I use it on the inside of cabinets and about anywhere else I can think of. It gets rid of the "old, musty" smell that the frau dislikes.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:12 am

The window ammonia will wipe your number right off.
Old English is a "scratch remover. Not really a polish. I stopped using it many years ago. I don't like what it does to the wood, and, the rest of the finnish. Darkens it considerably. And, the scratch still stands out.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:34 pm

I had a can of Johnson wood paste wax. I have been using that and I have been satisfied. I use it on my bakelite and plastic cases as well. I have been pleased. I am not one of these "it has to be 100% Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance restored radios" with everything perfect. I fix them so they will play and I use them.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Yeah, Willy, that is pretty much my theory as well. The frau does not like beat-up looking wood, so I have to do scratch protection. I grin at a couple of the guys on "that other forum" who have their noses in the air, and get their panties in a wad over "improper toners." What does it matter, when the stuff will end up in a landfill or painted pink and made into a fish tank eventually anyway.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:Yeah, Willy, that is pretty much my theory as well.  The frau does not like beat-up looking wood, so I have to do scratch protection.  I grin at a couple of the guys on "that other forum" who have their noses in the air, and get their panties in a wad over "improper toners."  What does it matter, when the stuff will end up in a landfill or painted pink and made into a fish tank eventually anyway.

WC

One of my favorite radios is one that probably was more of a parts radio than one worth fixing. It had the front busted in, the chassis was completely rusted,Caps were pulled off. But I didn't have a cathedral and I always had wanted one. I got this in on a trade in for a repair I did. It was in sad shape but I just couldn't part out this puppy.

I repainted the chassis, put some caps in it for looks and got it to playing. I took the original front out and traced it onto a new piece of plywood. I then cut out the speaker area and holes. I also had to sand it down to get it to the correct thickness. After it was all together I stained the front to match the rest then a finish. I also had to buy the piece where the dial numbers were . Its a decent copy I got from radiopup. Now it sits in the luiving room. Most folks don't point out the caps are different, the stain is off, the screws are brass, the chassis,etc. Most of the comments are about how nice it is. I am into these as a relaxing hobby for me, not to get points on how perfect and exact they are.

Here is it as it looks now.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Excellent job, Willy!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:47 pm

Excellent, Willy! It's nice to see one brought back like that. How about the table under the radio? Is that homemade, by any chance? It looks like one I've got under an old Crosley I have.

BTW, I have a chassis for that empty Zenith bakelite cabinet.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks folks. That table was made by my father in law. Its a walnut table with a checkerboard made of marble in the top.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Willy.......you do very nice work! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down