How do I fix this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do I fix this?

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 pm

We met a couple recently at a car show.  The couple is in their mid-60's, I would guess.  They have an old Chevy street rod.  We have invited them to our home, but they are always busy.  My wife saw the lady today in the grocery store and they had a nice chat.  It seems the man will not come to our house because of my old radios and stuff.  He believes that equipment with vacuum tubes give off mercury and radiation that can cause brain cancer as they run.  I guess he will have to quit parking next to my Buick because there are five tubes in the Twilight Sentinel and Guidematic system and one tube in the Wonderbar radio.  He does not want to be in the same county with vacuum tubes.  

How do I fix this?  I guess these people are now former acquaintences.  I like my Magnavox stereo lots more than I do them.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: How do I fix this?

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:11 am

He must be placing electron tubes in the same category as fluorescent tubes. I think, from your description, this problem is fixing itself. See if the rod has a trunk light. Hopefully it does, then you could ask him how it turns on and off. That ought to scare him to death. If the let your contaminated self into their house, see if they have an old thermostat. if they do, open it for them. those mercury switches should put him at ease.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:25 am

I need to give him the benefit of the doubt until we have a chance to chat.  His wife may be blowing smoke for some reason.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:35 am

To some people vacuum tubes are something out of science fiction. I have heard someone call them plasma tubes. There is a type 82 mercury vapor rectifier, but the only way you are going to get any mercury out of it has to be broken. The HV rectifier in a tube TV can produce x-rays I think that's why there in a metal box.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 pm

The older I get the less I care if folks come over. If someone doesn't come over I don't worry about it. I have tried to be "friends" with folks but for what I have seen its I am always doing something for them then when I need something they have left the country. There was a bumper sticker I saw years ago that went like this , the more I am around people the more I like my dog. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:46 pm

I saw the guy at a car show again today, and he was friendly as ever. I did not mention this, and neither did he. I just won't invite him over anymore.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum