AM transmitter

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AM transmitter

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 pm

That one is not the one i'm looking at. It's the same thing but in better shape. I may get that one and restore it. Then i'll just keep looking for another one with mini tubes down the line. The one I was looking at is missing the back, dial scale, volume knob and grille cloth. Jerry, my food budget is about as low as it goes already. I eat Ramen noodles, lunch meat, frozen burritos and inexpensive boneless skinless chicken breast. My income is not steady right now, as i'm waiting on some answers abut a few things currently.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Check out the Ramsey AM 25.  It's a hundred bucks but will definitely do what you want.

DO NOT get a "Tunable", like the AES K-488.
Most of what you are looking at are like this and believe me they will do nothing but disappoint.  I built a couple of "Tunables" and with a 25' antenna and a ground I could barely be heard in the next room. I have an FM 25 and a AM25.  My AM, with a decent antenna and ground can be heard half way up the block.  The FM can be heard in my truck for almost 2 blocks.

Does anybody remember The "Big Mike".  You would use a separate octal plug that fit under the oscillator and made your radio "Broadcast around the house",
terrydec

Number of posts : 1052
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:57 pm

I had an SSTrans. What a pile of junk. I could not get it to transmit much more than across the room. It drifted. It was noisy. It had poor fidelity. Nobody could figure it out. I sent it back, they said it was fixed, it wasn't. I finally just tossed it. I have been using an old Lafayette signal generator with at least as good of results as I had with transmitter kits. There is a seller on ebay that makes three tube transmitters that look pretty good.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11 pm

WC, you obviously didn't build it correctly or set it up right.  I would say that 90 percent of the old radio community are really pleased with the way they work.  If it is still in the       trash, send it  to me please.  Very Happy   They work really well, mine will go to the neighbor and for the car, down the block.  Never drifted, rock stable, hey it is digital.  Sorry about your experience but they are terrific.  Did you every try to tune the antenna?  Posting it is a pile of junk just goes against many peoples opinion.  Of course, everyone has an opinion.  I believe they are great.  I wouldn't even consider a tube transmitter only because I like mine to run 24/7 and would not wish to do that with a tube one, no matter how great it sounds.  Almost all the tube ones have no control over modulation/ compression etc.  I wouldn't sleep at night with a tube transmitter running.  JMHO
Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:26 pm

Here is my offer WC, come a little North and I will let you listen to mine! The challenge is out there! I will be back in Sendona next week. Like to meet you.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top