AM transmitter

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AM transmitter

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm just curious what some of you think about this transmitter. I know SSTRAN and Talking House would be much better but I do not have that kind of money or need that much coverage. Also I donnot have the skill level to assemble an SSTRAN kit. This one is also a kit, but it looks simple and would likely give me just the right amount of coverage I need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111142846077?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: AM transmitter

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:40 pm

That kit looks like the ones AES used to sell. Maybe they still do. I have used a signal generator for a transmitter. Not a lot of coverage, but if you already have one, it would be cheap. I tossed my SSTran about a year ago. It was more trouble than it was worth.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:53 pm

All I have are like 2 AA5's and similar tabletop ac/dc radios. No troubleshooting equipment besides a multimeter. I imagine a signal generator will cost me more than a transmitter kit. I asked some of the guys on Facebook and they all said go with an SSTRAN. I just need something to cover a few feet to maybe 100 feet so I can get some good use out of my AM only radios. Since AM is mostly talk crap here.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 pm

I have one of those. I did buy it from Antique Electronic Supply. It works ok but the input requires you take the siginal from speaker or earphone jack of the tape recorder CD player etc. A microphone would not be enough to drive it,unless you have some sort of preamp. From what I read, the circuit for that was based of a pre war Zenith wireless record player.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:38 pm

That time traveler is neat, but does not interest me.
I would use my computer or tablet as an input source. The design is based off of a Zenith S-7000 record player.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:47 am

Personally, we all have our likes, bite the bullet and get the SSTran. Assemble is a breeze, the instructions are very clear. A small tip soldering iron at around 20 watts and your home free. You can run it 24/7 and not worry. Five years on mine and it covers the large house on two floors plus the neighbors. I would not wish to run a tube system like that unattended. JMHO
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:17 am

Save your money! Take an old AA5 (one not too valuable) and follow this Youtube instruction;

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:40 pm

+1 jerry
I built cheep ones and bought black box one with fm
none were good even next to radio
bought the sstran well worth the price and fun to build
sam
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Right now I will pass on an sstran. Mezlaw, I would end up probably spending 30-40.00 on an AA5 since they rarely come up for sale locally. Since I've started getting radios I have only gotten 3 out of 4 locally with years in between. Only 1 is an AA5 but much too nice to mess with.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Tuberadiogeek, look at it this way. For $100 you will have a life time of enjoyment with no worries. About the price of two nice dinners for two (based on my relatively cheap choice of nice eating establishments). After those nice dinners, where does your investment go? That's right, down the toilet and possibly some to your waist. cheers
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm

MEZLAW wrote:Save your money!   Take an old AA5 (one not too valuable) and follow this Youtube instruction;

I was wondering of you could just hook up a record player or iPod to the speaker and get a signal out the antenna... Laughing
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 pm

A guy on facebook says he has an Airline 94-HA-1528 chassis, he wants 15.00 for it but 18.00 for shipping. I think that is a bit expensive for just a chassis that I would have to modify. What do you guys think?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:57 pm

I think the shipping is a show stopper on all of these radios. I would look in local antique shops. If the case is bad you can usually get it for $5.

I would pay $15 (that's because I like AA5 with octals) if it was close and I could pick it up. If there is no case you have to hope he packs it well.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 pm

That's the problem, there are no antique shops here. Sure I have a couple thrift shops, but none usually get radios. I usually spot radios on facebook groups or craigslist but it's not often they come at the right price. I browse ebay once in awhile, but most of the time they are too expensive. I'll just hang back and wait for the right radio to come along or wait till I have more cash to spend and get a transmitter of some sort.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Look on Ebay for radios listed as "for parts or repair", some have an opening bid of $5 with very low shipping. I've won radios on Ebay and never paid more than $10 to $15 total. put them in your watch list and if on one bids, make the opening bid in the last few minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 am

Would a Silvertone model 2 make a good transmitter? With it having 35Z5, 50L6, 12SA7, 12SQ7 tubes in it? It's fairly rough but complete.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:40 am

I saw that radio and I thought it would be good. One word of caution. You will have relate to the mini tubes if you follow the Youtube instructions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:19 pm

That's a cheap two tube am radio.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Bill, according to the label on the bottom it is 4 tube. But you're right it is a cheap radio.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:37 pm

That's a rebadged Arvin, isn't it?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:26 pm

I believe it is an Arvin.

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Tube radio, cut down on you food expenses, eat Ramon Noodles for dinner for a week. Buy an SSTrans kit and have fun building it. Enough from me. cheers
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top