RCA wo-91a scope

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RCA wo-91a scope

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm

I have a question on a scope. Most scopes I have used either have the BNC type connector or the banana jack type connector. I picked up a RCA wo-91a scope and it uses a larger type probe connector, similar to old CB antenna cables.  I found a picture of one similar at

Its the one on the left. As far as the probe cable goes all that is left is the connector jack and about a foot of the cable. The probe end is long gone.If I had a diagram for it I would just try to reproduce it but I haven't found it yet.  This scope looks decent enough to restore but I don't have a probe for it. My question is can a person put a BNC connector on the cable and hook up a modern probe, make a new probe utilizing the cable that is there or just replace it with a modern BNC? I prefer to keep it original in case I ever find a original probe. The easiest I see to use it is to just put a BNC connector on the cable that is there but will this cause issues due to interference and such. I mainly would use it on old tube am radios no solid state. I would like to use what I have on hand as to track down a probe at this time as I am saving every nickel I have for the Nashville meet.  Any suggestions?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: RCA wo-91a scope

Post by 75X11 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm

I had the same type connector on my signal generator and I mounted a bulkhead mount BNC with no problem and no change in the operating characteristics. The original is an old type with which you would have a harder time locating accessories.
75X11

Number of posts : 5023
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:13 pm

A BNC connector is very commonly used to replace those Amphenol microphone connectors on signal generators, VTVMs and scopes. It is usually no problem at all, but those old mic connectors are often rated for up to 1500 volts, and many BNC connectors are rated for only 500 volts. This can be more of an issue with a VTVM with a 1500 volt scale more than a scope issue.

It is nice to be able to connect any existing scope probe to your old scope.
If you do decide to keep the original style of connector, the part number for the most common size that fits on this is: Amphenol Model # 80-75-MC1F, Single Conductor Microphone connector
Thread size: 5/8" - 24 (UNEF). They can be found new from eBay sellers for $10 or so, but if it turns out you need one and don't mind used, I can send you one for postage.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks Ragwire for the offer but the end is still there and I think I can reuse it. I did have some luck today. I was looking through my info I found for it and the scopes schematic has a small area on the side that has a diagram for the probe. It looks to just have three pieces,a resisitor,cap and switch. So I might try to make one for it. I may have a similar one around.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top