The Reason Everyone Uses...

Post by 75X11 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:04 pm

75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Reason Everyone Uses...

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:15 pm

That is a tragic story. Not uncommon anymore, unfortunately.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:11 pm

Near where I live, they were splitting bathroom tiles and swaddling them up in Apple and Samsung boxes and selling them as hot phones. You can't cheat an honest guy that way.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Forsyth Police Department (Georgia) has set up a new program where people can set up a meeting place & have an officer there to witness the transaction. They will also run the serial number through the state and national database to verify that it's not stolen. It's a great idea and I hope that it catches on everywhere. For those that didn't see it on the news, an elderly couple was murdered about a month ago here in GA. They were meeting someone who listed an antique car on Craigslist.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:20 pm

The things you never think about happening when you are honest and trusting.  What is this world coming to?
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:06 pm

I still use Craigslist, I always either do a transaction at my house or a public location like a store. Now lots of people are using Facebook groups to buy/sell/trade items. I guess people think hey are safer. IMO you take the same risk using a FB group as you do Craigslist. Sure you may know their name, but not everybody uses their real name on there or may have an alternate profile just for using those types of groups.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 am

Craigslist is not any more dangerous than other groups. I have done several deals on Craigslist with no problem. I never let them come to my home, meet in a Walmart parking lot or someplace there are lots of people, and take somebody with me. I have a friend who is a retired cop who comes in handy for these deals. Some of the prices on Craigslist are another matter.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 am

Right. I too have used it many years with only one problem. That was when I sold a cb to a guy and he said it didn't work, but I'm pretty sure he fried the finals in it by probably keying it up without an antenna on it. I meet in public when I can but certain things I want to test or show work so I have them come to me. Only on my porch, never inside my home. I always carry my large pocket knife on me when I meet people or go out in public, just in case there is a problem. Especially since I'm stuck to riding a bus for now. Yes, some prices are crazy, it's the same way on Facebook groups. Also lots of people post stuff on both.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:25 am

I have had reasonable success negotiating price with people on Craigslist. It does not always work, there is occasionally somebody who is either clueless or desperate. Most people just want to be rid of the item or they need the money and are willing to be reasonable. I have actually had better luck on CL than I have on ebay. Some of the charges on ebay are getting out of hand. There aren't as many good deals on ebay anymore, it seems to me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:51 am

Some eatables at McDonalds makes for a cheap and pleasant meeting place too. I keep seeing people blame such tragedies on our modern world. When was the term "caveat emptor" coined. I reckon things were just as bad or good then.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 am

"Caveat emptor" was from the olden days, back when we all spoke Latin. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top