Parts Storage On The Cheap

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Parts Storage On The Cheap

Post by 75X11 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:27 pm

One thing that comes with getting older is coming into a large number of prescription bottles. Most of them I get have white caps with or without printing. the ones with print can be readily erased with the application of some sandpaper which makes a good surface to use a permanent marker on. I've been doing this this afternoon at work for our shop parts. Now for the new wrinkle. prescription bottles are a pain to store loose. To make them more user friendly, I got some closed cell polyethylene foam of the type used for shipping heavy items, and cut a 2 1/2" sheet of it into a square to fit in the storage locker and took one Rx bottle, as most were the same size and cut the bottom off of it. I used a knife to scrape a sharp bevel inside the open end of the bottle and replaced the cap, for a handle. I then used the bottle as a cookie, or wad cutter in the sheet of foam and it made just the right sized holes to firmly hold the bottles in the foam. Now I have a number of bottles held securely with the ID info in plain view. I suppose you could hang the foam, glue it to a board and screw it to a wall or use as is as I am.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Parts Storage On The Cheap

Post by Motorola man on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 pm

I thought that this post was about cheap storage. Those little Rx bottles tend to come with a pretty high price tag. Very Happy
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm

I wish I could get that value out of them donating them for tax time! :-)
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Great tip, BTW.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:01 pm

You could write them off as a hobby expense!!!
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:39 pm

You could also use that setup to store tools for your work bench. Screwdrivers, nut drivers, sockets, allen wrenches, stuff like that. Thanks for the tip!

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 pm

When I was a kid my friend's dad would collect baby jars and screw (pierce the lid and use a wood screw) the lids to the underside of a shelf.  He would fill the jars with small parts and then twist them on the lids.  The jars would hang on the underside of the shelf, leaving the shelf empty for other items.  Dana and I are not big coffee drinks and are quite happy with instant coffee. I take the labels off the empty jars and put small parts in them. They are now plastic and will not break if dropped.  Since we use a lot of the same brand and size it makes it easy to keep everything looking uniform on a shelf.

This might be a good thread to share our storage ideas.  

Good thread 75  Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:39 pm

Here is how I store my tubes.  I have a double shelf running down the middle of the upstairs of the garage.  These shelves are 1/2" particle board, on 2X4 uprights with those adjustable rails.  There are nine shelves deep and the shelves are 24' long.  So that makes a total of nine shelves 48' long holding all 30,000+ tubes, all boxed and sorted alpha-numerically.  

Each type has its own box, unless it is an uncommon type.  I do have a few boxes separated with more than one type in the box.  Most of the boxes came from Lowe's that freight came in.  There are some NAPA bin boxes that parts came in.  Every tube is boxed.  There may be some duds, but not many.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:05 am

Looks like you have the market cornered!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:31 am

My intent was to illustrate a cheap way to store tubes. Nothing fancy and not a lot of money involved.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 am

Very impressive both in quality and quantity. Very neat looking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Does anybody need a tube? I need to have lots less than I have.

If you look at junk stores and auctions, you can find those cabinets with plastic drawers for pretty cheap. They are fairly expensive if you buy new. I have bought them at auction for a dollar. That makes for pretty cheap storage.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top