RCA factory radio repair stand

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RCA factory radio repair stand

Post by willy3486 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:02 am

While I was surfing the web I ran across this picture from the RCA factory.

If you notice each chassis has a stand holding it up. I like the design of the stand but there wasn't a good shot of it other than this. So I studied it and came up with a design of my own. If you look at the picture you notice that the feet look like they have been bent on the ends. So I thought the center may actually be bent the other way. With that in mind I came up with these measurements.

What I did was to take a framing square and draw a line on each edge 6 inches. Once I did that I drew a line from one 6 inch side to the other. Then I laid the square on the new line and drew a line out 1 1/2 inches out for the feet. I then came in 2 1/2 inches to make the line to cut for the feet. I just looked at it and thought that was a good width. I then laid the square on the line I drew across and then lined it up with the point. I then drew a line from the point down to the feet. This will be where the holes will be drilled later. Ignore the 3/4 lines at the top, I marked these in case I wanted to cut it across. Instead I just filed the point down a little.

In this picture you see the corners cut out and bent to shape. I made these pieces out of aluminum. The holes don't have to be a specific place. I just made two that holds the side bars and one at the top to hold the knob. The side bars are 7 inches long by about 1 inch. Again it doesn't have to be exact , I just use what I find. In this picture it is the rusted bars. The two pieces to the far right are used to hold the actual chassis. More on that later.

This next photo shows the pieces after making the other holes and slots.

The two bars are bolted on. The aluminum pieces in the picture with a slot are the ones shown earlier. The slot was made my making two drill holes roughly 3 inches apart then cutting from each side of a hole to the next hole. I then filed the slots to get rid of the burs. The aluminum was a little over 5 inches long and roughly 2 1/4 wide. I just curled it up to catch the edge of the chassis. The new pieces in this photo was the "L" pieces . They have a hole in the center the same size as the drill bit used to make the slots. This drill bit is slightly larger than the bolt used to go in the knob.  This piece was roughly 1 1/2 lomg where the hole is and the lip is roughly 1/2 inches.  All the pieces except for the bolts and the main bars that are rusty was aluminum.

In this picture you see it together.

To put it together what you do is to slide the bolt into the smaller "L" that only has a hole drilled into it. The lip should be away from the bar. Then you slide the piece with a slot on next. The slot is made so you can adjust it to the size of the chassis being worked on. it to has the lip toward where the radio will be. Then the bar is put on next and then the knob. The knob is made with a nut inside it the size of my bolt.

Here it is in use. I used a junker chassis but you can see how it works.

The smaller "L" can be flipped up or down depending on the chassis. I tried to use my larger chassis holder in my new work area but it was too big to stay in there so it went back ot my outside shop. I wanted something smaller and that would hold a chassis. Hopefully this can be usefull if you are looking for a stand.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: RCA factory radio repair stand

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:17 am

Very nice! But I think I'll do one this year patterned loosely on the Steve Strong design.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:54 am

What does steve strongs look like? I don't remember seeing this. One reason I made one this small is I am using my workshop in the house more. I have made that workspace intentionally small as the bigger the area the bigger the mess. My main workbench is about 4x3 in the house and I have stuff like a parts cabinet on the bench.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:53 am

I recognize that chassis in the assembly line. It's the infamous KCS 47 tv chassis being built, so , it's likely a 1950 photo.
I recognize the controls on the back, the power transformer, and, the tuner, plus, I see the horizontal hold and, vertical hold controls mounted. HV section isn't mounted, yet.
Looks like he's building the video circuit.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Those factory workers look American.

Weird.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Them's Hoosiers! They built televisions in Bloomington and made CRT's in Marion.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:36 pm

And that's some nice prototyping work, Willy!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:53 pm

75X11 wrote:And that's some nice prototyping work, Willy!

Thanks 75x11. I enjoy making and fixing stuff. The older I get the more I like to keep my mind active. But if by posting this I can help one person to make one it was worth it to post.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top