Yamaha RX-1100

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yamaha RX-1100

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm

If everything goes as planned this afternoon, I will be the new owner of a Yamaha RX1100. It is rated at 125 wpc, which is a bit more than I need but it will do. The current owner is the original owner and it appears to be very well taken care of. I will be doing a little trading for it, which will save me the money I was going to put on another Onkyo receiver that would cost almost as much as the Yamaha is worth.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Yamaha RX-1100

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:20 pm

At 125 wpc, with efficient speakers, that unit should sound pretty nice. Good score!

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:32 pm

That is what I was thinking. I have two sets of speakers currently on my Onkyo which will go on the Yamaha. Fisher Stv 876 and Technics SB A36. Both great sets of speakers and both with 12" woofers and the technics have an additional 10" woofer in them. If I really want to get in trouble I can hook up my Warfedale model 60's.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:19 am

I am the new owner of that receiver. It is quite the receiver. A big improvement from my Onkyo. I would say that is the best receiver I've ever had. That is including a Teac AG-360 I bought brand new in 2002 or 2003. It was low end but probably 1-200.00 back then. I had it paired with some 6.5" Jensen speakers.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:31 am

Well after not even a year, it seems this unit has partially failed. It would seem that the left channel has went out in this. I tried 4 different inputs and both A & B speakers and no matter what I did, I could not get any sound on the left side. It was turned on 24/7 since it was used constantly for TV and movies. I do have other stuff on top, but the majority of the vents are still open. I also never overused it, the volume never even made to half way since it was not needed. Should I look into repairing this eventually or cut my losses and sell on eBay?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:49 am

I know less than nothing about solid state equipment, but, from what I have read, electrolytic capacitors are commonly blamed for one channel failing.  I would either investigate the problem myself or find someone competent to do it.  What would it bring on ebay "Not Working?"  I guess you could always accidentally omit that fact, but that might come back to haunt you.  Being dishonest is never the right course of action, anyway.  If you don't have extra money to have it checked out, then you may not have a lot of options.  How much actually money do you have into it? Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well.

One thing I just remembered.  A receiver I was using went on the fritz some years back.  It lost one channel.  I tinkered around with it and found one of the shorting plugs for the equalizer input "Main IN, Pre OUT" had corroded enough to break the connection and kill the channel.  Many of the higher end receivers of that era had such connections.  You might check simple things like this, if you haven't already.  You never know, and it won't cost you anything.  Good luck.

I don't see any Yamaha 1100's on ebay. I'm guessing maybe $300 to $500 in working, unrestored condition. Not working, your guess is good as mine.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:56 am

I only know just a tiny bit, which is that most of this style use IC's instead of transistors and that IC's can fail. There are some large electrolytic caps in there that I can see, but I've never had the top off of it. I'm defenitly going to take a look at it before I decide anything.
I was thinking I should be able to get around 100.00 for it in it's current state, but I'm not certain. I started to make an eBay listing but put it on hold until I know what I want to do. I am not the dishonest type of person and won't do that to anyone. I have next to no money and don't plan to get rich anytime soon.
I looked up stereo repair on Google and there is a BBB accredited place in Dayton, OH that does electronic repair. They charge a flat fee of 45.00 just to look at it. Dayton isn't but an hour or so from me, but I'd still ship it, which will probably be 30-40.00 alone. I traded my around 300.00 or so Laptop for it and 10.00 cash. By that time the computer was maybe a year old, so I'd say it was worth 200.00 at that point since it was still like new.
My unit has the "Main IN, Pre OUT" connections made with what look like aluminum RCA cables.*I pulled them and they were good* They look good but I will look into that.
There are none on there, and I've only seen 1-3 on there since I have owned mine. I figured that is about what they are roughly worth since they are generally high quality receivers.

Last edited by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:05 pm

The problem I have found with "stereo repair" places is that most are more interested in charging than they are fixing. Lots of places hold up your item against an inflated repair bill, then seize the item, make a simple repair, then put it on ebay for the big money. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't trust people. I always try to figure out how I'm gonna get screwed, then adjust my conduct accordingly.

There is an ARF member who is the only person on this planet I would trust to work on my stuff. He is on the west coast, so he might not be an option for you. There is another guy in Philly who would be competent to work on it, as well. If you'd like more specific information, PM me.

You are in about $300 minus the running time you have already enjoyed. Your estimate of its current worth of $100 as is sounds reasonable to me. You will be in at least another $300 for reasonable repair charges and shipping both ways, I'd guess. You will be in above retail after it is repaired, including what you put into it going in. It is rather like repairing an older car. It may not actually be worth what you have in it, but driving it may be cheap miles. They don't make them like that anymore. If it is new enough to have IC's, I might re-consider putting any money into it. Roll the dice and take your chances. Good luck.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Right. I don't trust places like that either. That is why I never had any of my tube stuff sent out.
I appreciate the offer, but I would never be able to afford to ship it out there. Last thing I shipped to the west coast racked me almost 12.00 and that was a little wireless router, I had to send out for replacement. There was only about 1-1.50 difference between standard post and priority mail. Even shipping it to Philidelphia would be pricey too. However I think I know who you are talking about there, you are referring to Sal, right?
That is what I'm figuring as it has to have some value since it is not complete junk. I also was thinking repairs would not be exactly cheap either. I looked through the vents, and it has a handful of transistors. I figured it was new enough to have IC's but apparently not. I'm going to put on eBay, but also in the Garage Sale section here, in case anyone may want it here. If someone does, I'll pull it off of eBay as long as I don't have bids.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Nope, not Sal.  The guy I was referring to is a somewhat irascible soul, but is imminently talented when it comes to home electronics.  He gave me guidance when I went thru my first Magnavox, so he gets a pass with me, in spite of his somewhat abrasive manner.  

I understand and appreciate your position when it comes to shipping.  It is a killer in many projects, unless you can go get it yourself.  Gas is now cheaper, so that makes travelling even 500 miles for something, round trip, more reasonable.  I am seriously considering taking my SX-1050 to the guy on the west coast for a good tune-up.

If your receiver is a transistor and not IC, I would look for some bulging electrolytics, and might even consider replacing them for grins to see what the result was.  You don't have a lot to lose.  You could still sell it as not working if the repairs did not fix it.  The caps would not cost much, and there would be no labor cost, doing it yourself.  And you might actually gain valuable experience, and could possibly fix your receiver.  Good luck.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:43 pm

I pulled the top. Did not see any bulging caps at all. I was able to locate the output board and identify the transistors. Each channel uses 2 C3182 transistors and 2 A1265 transistors. However the 1265's are green. What are the odds of having bad transistors? I can't recall how to test them, as I learned about them briefly back in high school.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:50 pm

I'd be happy to help if I could. If it had tubes, I'd be the first duck into the puddle. Hopefully members with more transistor experience than I have will chime in. Good luck.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks, but I'm not going to mess with it right now. I listed it and already have a watcher. Hopefully they and others will make a move on it.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I hope it works out well for you. Good luck. Very Happy

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:31 am

Thanks. Just 1 last question, I noticed this has a voltage selector switch with 4 voltages on it- 110, 120, 240 and 220. It has been set at 110 probably since it was new. Would that possibly cause my failure? I know at times my line voltage can exceed 110. Most of the time it hovers around 113-115 but out of curiousity I just checked it and right now it is sitting at 122.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top