Large Peavy Speakers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Large Peavy Speakers

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:37 pm

One of my local pawn shops has this set of large Peavy speakers that like look like they may have either 2 or 4 10" woofers in them. I think they would be sweet to own but I'm not certain if my Onkyo TX-21 that puts out 30-40 WPC would be able to adequately push them. What do you guys think?http://limaohio.craigslist.org/eld/4866281775.html
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Large Peavy Speakers

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 pm

I f I were thinking about them, I would call the shop and get the model number and do some online searches. If they are good stuff, there ought to be some exchange about them on the net and you could then get an idea of their power handling characteristics.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 pm

My first real stereo system was an Onkyo (I think it pumped out 40 watts / channel) and a pair of Technics 3-way speakers (12" woofer). It sounded great, very clean, but did not a lot of bass. If you're looking for something that can rattle out the window panes, I don't think it will have enough oomph.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:51 pm

I will call there tomorrow. My Onkyo TX-21 with the current pair of Sharp speakers which have a 12" and 10" woofers along with a 2" mid and 1" high will rattle walls nicely. It is said the TX-21 does 30 WPC at 8 ohms, but I think it does more. I mainly like these Peavy because I know what the can do in a more of a commercial setting. Not the same model, but just a model that had a single 15" woofer with mids and highs would just rattle nicely hooked into a powered mixer board. It was my old youth group and we also had a set of new Crate speakers that were similar and they just couldn't hang with the Peavy set. I believe the Peavy set were from the 70's and the Crate set were probably late 90's. Mind you this was quite awhile ago. I also recently purchased a small portable Peavy bluetooth speaker that can also be connected via line in and it blows away every set of PC speakers i've had.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:54 pm

I have a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, 120 watts per channel. I run a set of 18" and horn Peavey studio speakers with it. This setup will give you a concussion with the bass on the receiver turned on full. I would think that 30 watts would be plenty to drive those speakers for home duty. I would not go out of my way to own a set of Peavey speakers, but they are rugged and sound good if the price is right. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:03 pm

I just like the quality and sound that peavey speakers have. I called the pawn shop and they are Model number 242-0H. I couldn't find much online about them except they are from the mid-80's.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:23 pm

I don't remember the model of mine off hand, but they are normally used by DJ's and "public perfromances" to cause hearing damage.  These things are massive.  I like mine, but they are not very practical for home use.  Mine look fairly industrial with black tolex and chromed metal corners.  I like the big "Peavey" script on the grille cloth.  You're right, though.  Mine sound really nice.  I'm guessing mine are late 1960's.  I've had them for almost 40 years.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:28 am

These ones are massive too, about 4.5-5' tall. I seen them in the shop at one time and haven't stopped thinking about them since. It would be nice to get them, but I wouldn't have a way to transport those massive things. I think I will just get a slightly better receiver and drive my Warfedale model 60's along with my Sharp speakers I have currently hooked up. If I didn't need the money, I'd hook up my Fisher STV-876's but I hope I have them sold.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top