Windows 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 10

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:31 pm

I run Windows 7, 64 bit and I like it. I'm a computer idiot, so perhaps I'm easy to please. I digress.

I read on the Internet where Microsoft is gonna offer Win7 and 8 owners a free update to Windows 10. The drivers (whatever the hell that is) for Win 7 will allegedly work with Win 10, so allegedly all my software should still work okay. Win 10 is allegedly faster and has a different browser, eliminating Explorer. What say you computer geniuses (is that the correct plural for "genius"?).

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows 10

Post by 35Z5 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:12 am

Well if it's free I want it... Laughing

I bought a cheap($125) Win 8 box from C'list a couple weeks ago and can say I'll NEVER use 8, EVER!!! Currently I'm running Linux Mint on it that I've been thinking of making permanent, but will no doubt give 10 a shot before I make a decision...

BTW what I heard is the current W10 is a beta version and is not recommended to use on your "regular" computer as one runs the risk of data loss...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:18 am

I have a call in to a computer guru I know. I talked to him when Win 10 was rumored, and he thought it would be the bomb. Faster version of Win 7 that people like better than 8 or 8.1. I have never messed with Win 8, so all I know is what I have heard.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 am

you can get beta version now to play with until april then it goes live
https://insider.windows.com/
it basically win 7 and 8 together faster yes
people didn`t like 8 because of windows that were all over
but they like 7 set up
so they combined the two so looks like win 7 but opens pages like 8
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:31 pm

I wonder how many clients MS loses to Apple every time they decide to render obsolete their operating systems and force clients through another crippling learning curve in the interest of justifying revenue arrived at by extortionate business practices?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:43 pm

I never, never, ever use any version of windows until after the first service pack has been released, and with some versions, not even then!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 pm

They are not gonna lose me to Apple. I don't care for Mac computers. It won't be long before MS will not support Win 7. They have already canned Vista. If Win 10 is a reasonable replacement for Win 7, I will probably join the herd. Pardon my asking, but what is a service pack?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:17 am

Wildcat445 wrote:They are not gonna lose me to Apple.  I don't care for Mac computers.  It won't be long before MS will not support Win 7.  They have already canned Vista.  If Win 10 is a reasonable replacement for Win 7, I will probably join the herd.  Pardon my asking, but what is a service pack?

WC
That's not so, Vista is supported till 4/11/17 & W7 has another five years... End of main stream support just means you can no longer call Microsoft and ask for help sorting out a problem you may be having with your install... Updates that are generally bug fixes & security concerns will be provided till the dates in the link(even XP still gets updates for the malicious software removal tool, that ends in '16 I believe)...  Other than calling once for a activation(that they refused, screw 'em) on a computer with a missing COA, I've never called for anything else...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

A service pack is mostly a culmination of updates all rolled into one...

There is some confusion whether the W10 update is truly free, some sources are saying you'll have to PAY for a activation after a year of usage... If that's not true, one still needs to wait till April to upgrade as that's when the final version is supposed to be released(one without bugs)...

As far as loosing a customer, I'm leaning hard toward Linux... If I don't like the terms of W10 update, I'm gone(still mostly using a XP box at the moment)...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:56 pm

I am using a beta version of Windows 10 currently. It is super fast and so far anything made to run on 7 has run on this test machine.

a service pack is usually a software update, where they have found major issues and made changes to op system.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:58 pm

simplex1040 wrote:
a service pack is usually a software update, where they have found major issues and made changes to op system.

Exactly! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Thank you. I feel better now. I really like Win 7. Ignorance is bliss, I reckon. Rolling Eyes

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top