Homemade TV Antenna

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Homemade TV Antenna

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:23 pm

I researched DIY TV antenna's yesterday and found a design that I liked and had stuff on hand for. So after a few hours yesterday and today, I finished it. I used coat hangers and old extension cord for the wire. The elements are spaced 1 foot apart and each one is about 4 inches wide. The design I followed showed the elements 6 inches apart and 3 inches wide. With using a 6 foot 2x4 I seen no reason to only use part of it. Not the greatest looking antenna but it's working. I'm hoping once this heavy cloud cover lifts I will be able to get more than the local channels. I originally only had it about 13 feet high, but added another 6 ft 2x4, so it's 18 feet high. What do you guys think?

tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Homemade TV Antenna

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I wouldn't think that extension cord of that type would be a very efficient lead in wire.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:52 pm

I thought that too, but its what I had on hand. My guess is it is probably high in resistance. However since I've raised it and the night has went on my signal strength has increased a bit. Its sitting at just under 70%, compared to about 45% before I raised it 5 feet. I may get either coax or 300 ohm wire sometime in the future.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:55 pm

75X11 wrote:I wouldn't think that extension cord of that type would be a very efficient lead in wire.  

Agreed but biggest problem I see is when wet... Without insulators much of the signal will be shunted by the soppy wood... May be somewhat OK at first but no doubt as time goes on it isn't going to function well in the rain...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 am

I understand. This is just a trial run using what I have on hand. I want to build the same type of antenna but with lighter material and better wire. That way I can get it much higher. I would like to go about 40 feet. It was a bit difficult getting it the 18 feet since the 2x4's are heavy.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:59 am

Build it using PVC pipe or similar... Mount it on metal pipe, at 40Ft you'll need to guy wire it if you want it to still be vertical after the first wind storm...
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 am

That's what I was thinking. I may have enough on hand, but I don't have any way to mount it. It does give me something to think about or even build slowly. I'm also thinking about adding a pre amp to help pull in distant and low power stations once I get good wire or build a better antenna.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:31 am

I put a set of rabbit ears in parallel with it and got more channels, but none I can find anything out about. There is a W23D, 3ABN, and Radi. They are not showing any data nor are they showing up on the FCC's website for near-by channels. Of course they will not come in, but were found. Anyone ever heard of any of those networks?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 pm

tuberadiogeek wrote:I put a set of rabbit ears in parallel with it and got more channels, but none I can find anything out about. There is a W23D, 3ABN, and Radi. They are not showing any data nor are they showing up on the FCC's website for near-by channels. Of course they will not come in, but were found.  Anyone ever heard of any of those networks?

There are apparently three audio feeds on that freq, will have sound only...

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_station&facility_id=74373
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:06 pm

3ABN is 7th day adventist religous net . ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm

kb4yrc wrote:3ABN is 7th day adventist religous net . ..... Gregg

Their call should have been 7DAY... Laughing
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:29 pm

75, I may attempt to make that antenna in the future. 35, Thanks for the link. I figured they were that type of channel. I imagine they only have antennas here locally with remote transmitters. They are probably on the cable company's tower, since that is the largest tower in town. I got rid of them after I re-scanned for channels today. With this overcast, my signal went down. Hopefully I can get some RG-6 soon. I know that will help.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top