Building an antenna

Go down

Building an antenna

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm currently in the process of building an antenna for UHF/VHF/FM scanner frequencies out of an old CB mag mount whip and some ground radials. I figure that would be decent enough to cover most areas I'd be listening to, but I want to try to use it for digital TV now. So I was curious if you guys think it would be good enough to cover that area too? A few details, the whip is maybe 18-20 inches long and I was going to make the ground radials about 2-2.5 ft long. Currently it has RG58 coax, but had plans to extend it with RG59 or  6. I know one is 50 ohm and one is 75 ohm. I just want to get local channels with some from surrounding areas. Currently I'm using a homemade dipole I made with 3 sections of RG6 and I only get local channels.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Building an antenna

Post by n0bst on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:43 am

For the frequencies you want to cover you might as well shell out $50-60 for MFJ's discone antenna. It truly is broadband and will cover the TV frequencies better than a whip. One other observation- your whip will be vertically polarized whereas most TV stations are horizontal.

Scott

n0bst

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 pm

What you have is fine, a TV antenna covers FM and VHF/UHF.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:38 am

Well, my final design has a 36" whip. Which is the unmodified CB whip and 24" radials, 3 of them. Will adapt it to RG6 with an SO239 to F connector. It's mainly going to be used on my scanner for listening to railroads and similar stuff. Once I see how it performs on the scanner, I will consider splitting it to the TV. Eventually I will get the Antenna Master ST-2 antenna, aka the scantenna. It's just too costly right now, plus I've been slowly building this antenna and I want to try it out.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum