I was disappointed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I was disappointed

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:02 pm

With the car cruise-in I talked about earlier. The day was bright and sunny, about 80 degrees, necessitating the need for sunscreen. Apparently the reservation cops and the local businesses limited the available space for cars, so only 600 cars or so were on display. The local businesses were not extending their hospitality for restrooms, so the facilities at the McDonald's was massively overtaxed, with massive lines and lots of anxious people, since most of these car owners were my age with the inherent physical challenges associated with older men, if you follow my drift! Shocked

I have always rolled down the windows and opened the hood and trunk. I display my Arizona Wildcat mascot stuffed kitty on the "Wildcat 445" air cleaner of the Buick, along with a couple other stuffed black cats. I have a pair of Coach driving gloves and a pair of Coach driving mocassins that I display as well. (New, never-worn, in the box thrift store finds. These things would cost as much as a paint job if I had bought then "new". The frau is still looking for a "caramel" Coach thrift store bag for this display, but this has proven more illusive.)

The man whose GE stereo I have been documenting on TRF, went with me to the show with his red '66 Mustang convertible. He normally lowers the top and puts out other items of display paraphernalia, along with business cards and literature for his restoration business.

This year, I had to close the trunk on the Buick, as well as roll the windows up and lock the doors. I left the hood up, as there is nothing under the hood of an old Buick that anybody would want to steal! Don left the top up on the Mustang, and he rolled down the front windows. There was a new Corvette Z-something parked next to my Buick and the lady owner caught some bimbo trying to get the five finger discount on my Coach mocassins. I caught a little kid taking the AZ Wildcat kitty off my air cleaner. Her dad lifted her up so she could reach it! This happened fairly lately in the day, so we soon closed shop and went home. I normally leave my car all open and go look at cars. The DJ was advising people to watch their stuff. I never worry about theft at a car show, but we had someone watch our cars closely. I heard that there was a three-deuce Ford 406 that lost its air cleaner, but I never verified this report. There were many thousands of spectators, like usual, and people were everywhere. You could not take pictures after about 4pm, just too many people to see the cars.

This will be my last attendance at this event. The bloom is off the rose for me. There are other events that I will explore in the future.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: I was disappointed

Post by willy3486 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 pm

I am getting to the point I have no use for druggies and I think most stealing is done by them. I use to give folks with addictions the benefit of a doubt but any more I don't. My sister and her husband were into pot/drinking. They brought their kids into that. A week ago on Thursday my wife was home due to school being out for weather. She was up stairs and the outside dog was having a fit. She goes to a window and there was some fellow out behind the barn and my workshop. She went out and had her pistol by her side. He tried to hide and she told him to come out from hiding as she had a pistol. He came out and said he had one. He wasn't acting just right and my wife told our daughter to call this man we knew. The mans she told her to call was the sheriffs name so the daughter knew to call 911.

He said he had lost his 12 year old hunting dog two miles back. He had no leash. He was cussing and such. She told him not to cuss and take the lords name in vain. He said he went to church too and she told him he needed to go more if he talked like that. She was trying to keep him there until the cops got there. She asked for his phone number so she could call if the dog showed up a few times. He finally said no because she would turn it in to the cops. She told them they were already on the way. He said he would be gone before they got there and ran off.

One officer got there and was talking to my wife. Since they knew what he looked like from my daughters info on the 911 call they knew what to look for. They caught him up the road. He was a wanted man in the next county. He had stolen trucks and cut up a bail bondsman with a knife. He was a drug addict that his pocket was full of pills. I got home and looked around. He had opened the barn door. I knew it had been opened as the steel post on the door had been moved and set on the other door. The door was wide open. There had been a lot of break ins  around here where I live and it was probably this guy.

I think one of the biggest issues in this country is drug abuse. I think most of the crime probably can be traced to this. Ether thefts to used to pay for the drugs, innocent folks being hurt and other crimes.  

Oh my wife? If he had came towards her he would have been dead. We know the sheriff and she told him if he had came towards her they would have had to call the coroner. She had a fully loaded pistol with hollow points and a excellent shot. She loves to shoot and I usually tell her when we have wild animals around. She is a regular Annie Oakley.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:10 pm

I don`t think it matters drugs or not today
if its laying there, young and old will seam to walk off with it
and put a sign saying do not touch 75% will touch to find out why not
sam
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:12 pm

Yeah, you are right about thieves.  My patience for their activities, however motivated, is not very strong.  They need to keep their hands to themselves.  Apparently that show was being targeted by a band of merry thieves who was stealing from the show cars.  We have the total expense of getting our cars to a show for people to view for free, then we can't enjoy the show without locking everything up.  That is sad.

I'm glad everything worked out and that your wife was not hurt.  Sounds like thieves would be better off not messing with her!

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:20 pm

Sorry WC that the show did not go as well as you thought. I guess it is not only a venue for car lovers but also people that can find something to rip off. Sad.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:01 am

It was not a total loss, Jerry. I got to spend the day with my Buick and my good friend and we chatted ad nauseum without interference. I was parked between a Ford and a Corvette! I actually met a nice Corvette owner. Normally these people are far too high class to associate with a lowly Buick owner, Coach equipped or no. Harley-Davidson garb is de rigeur for Corvette owners. But these people were quite nice and we had a pleasant visit and we took turns guarding the cars. I ate more than I should have. I have been going to this show for 25 years and it is getting to be old hat, I guess. There are other events that weekend, so next year I might have the opportunity to experience those. Thank you for your interest.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:47 am

They make small cable alarm systems that folks use at gun shows, running the cable through the trigger guards. It is a coax cable with RCA terminations that runs to an alarm box with a lock switch and audio and visual indicators. That could add the the excitement of fishing for the s***heads who bring their skills to these events.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top