Curiouser And Curiouser

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Curiouser And Curiouser

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:27 am

Principal seeks food cans to defend against school intruders
0 0 0 0
Tuesday, January 13

VALLEY, Ala. (AP) — An eastern Alabama school principal is asking students to bring cans of food such as corn, beans and peas as a way of defending against a school intruder.

W.F. Burns Middle School Principal Priscella Holley said in a Friday letter to parents that the request might seem odd. But she wrote that a can of food could stun an intruder "or even knock him out" until police arrive.

Holley also wrote that the canned food item will give the students a sense of empowerment to protect themselves and make them feel secure if an intruder enters their classroom at the school in Valley, Alabama.

In the letter obtained by WHNT-TV (http://bit.ly/17DsPdO), Holley said she hopes the cans aren't needed for a school intruder but "it is best to be prepared."

___

Information from: WHNT-TV, http://whnt.com/
- See more at: http://am920theanswer.com/news/articles/principal-seeks-food-cans-to-defend-against-school-intruders#sthash.cqoLzMFr.dpuf
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Curiouser And Curiouser

Post by neali on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Randy Johnson (pro baseball pitcher with 100 mph fastball) kept a baseball on his bedrooms side table for home protection. Twisted Evil

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:34 pm

How about a donation drive to just buy real guns for teachers? Lord knows they probably don't make enough to buy a decent Glock.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:45 am

Ragwire wrote:How about a donation drive to just buy real guns for teachers? Lord knows they probably don't make enough to buy a decent Glock.

You would be surprised at what some make and have. I think most teachers in my state make more than the average pay in the area they are in. For example in the county I live in the average pay is probably 24 K a year and a starting teacher makes about 28k if I remember correctly. I work in a school system the next county over and see what they make. One guy I work with has a arsenal of guns that look like the national guard. Some of them don't make good but many do. The ones in a school system who don't do as good are the support staff like cooks,cleaners and ,computer people. If it wasn't for having everything I own paid for I would probably have to go somewhere else. Our pay is probably 1/3 or less with education as well, we pay double the cost of insurance,retirement then get less in retirement. The main reason I work here is because of the insurance and the 40 hours, no overtime. With so many in my family I have to deal with no overtime works good. I make extra from repair jobs on the side.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm

willy3486 wrote:
Ragwire wrote:How about a donation drive to just buy real guns for teachers? Lord knows they probably don't make enough to buy a decent Glock.

You would be surprised at what some make and have. I think most teachers in my state make more than the average pay in the area they are in. For example in the county I live in the average pay is probably 24 K a year and a starting teacher makes about 28k if I remember correctly. I work in a school system the next county over and see what they make. One guy I work with has a arsenal of guns that look like the national guard. Some of them don't make good but many do. The ones in a school system who don't do as good are the support staff like cooks,cleaners and ,computer people. If it wasn't for having everything I own paid for I would probably have to go somewhere else. Our pay is probably 1/3 or less with education as well, we pay double the cost of insurance,retirement then get less in retirement. The main reason I work here is because of the insurance and the 40 hours, no overtime. With so many in my family I have to deal with no overtime works good. I make extra from repair jobs on the side.

The pay for teachers on Long Island is obscene. Newsday published the salaries. One woman in her forties that I know makes $165,000 teaching 5th and 6th graders reading comprehension. She has 2 million in her pension and is exempt from social security deductions with 17 weeks off. Which explains our property taxes. Also, Suffolk county patrolmen start at $95K graduating the academy and can retire on 70% pay after 20 years. That 70% is calculated from the average of what they make in the last year years including overtime and they often load up on 90 hours a week for those three years. Vice principles routinely make over $400,000. The catch is none of these civil servant jobs including teacher or patrolman are available without political connections. The civil servants here are the aristocracy and when parental care issues change, I am out of here in a fempto-second. Unless the tax payers hold a pitchfork and torches reform movement.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Since I started this thread,  I wanted to say that I realize pUblic education is an issue with strong opinions and beliefs from all quarters as many of our future generations are touched by it.  There is also a rule on the forum that Bill would like all of us to hold to and that is to refrain from political discussion.  This thread is moving toward that point, and I wanted to ask that we be mindful of this and resist the urge to bring political discussion into the exchange.  I wanted to put this out so we could continue the discussion with each of us holding to the rule without the need of any intercession or admonition.  I value all of your participation and presences on the forums more than to want to offend or repel anyone.  Thank you for your consideration.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Wow, I'm amazed at the pay levels for teachers/patrol officers in Long Island.  I'm going to suggest that all of the above move out there from Arizona!  We certainly have underpaid our people.  Perhaps it is the cost of living in NY?
The tin can idea still seems silly to me. Perhaps pepper spray? bounce
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: