Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

ARF Down....Again - Page 3 Empty Re: ARF Down....Again

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm

I haven't been there for many months, so it doesn't affect me.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

Who cares?
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 am

Looks like 4 pages of people who care somewhat. Shocked
It'll come back. Not defending them per se, but I don't think i could run a website like that, with small donations and the huge amount of traffic and not have issues. Then to hear those guys grumbling that their free site was down.
I like going to other sites and don't really have a favorite, I never hung around in those clicques in school or work either. Variety. I am happy that Bill's site is one of the sites I visit.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:11 am

GaryRabbitt wrote:Looks like 4 pages of people who care somewhat. Shocked
It'll come back. Not defending them per se, but I don't think i could run a website like that, with small donations and the huge amount of traffic and not have issues. Then to hear those guys grumbling that their free site was down.
I like going to other sites and don't really have a favorite, I never hung around in those clicques in school or work either. Variety. I am happy that Bill's site is one of the sites I visit.

All cutting up aside I agree with you Gary. I think they have little money to keep it going and way to many members for its setup. I still like it and go to it but I don't post much. I don't think I have posted since Jan, and I don't think I have posted regularly in 6 months there. I got tired of every time I posted having to look it over to see if anyone would find issue with what I posted. It got to where I would write something then edit, then just delete what I had wrote and not even post. One fellow even sent me a nasty email So I don't post anymore. Bill,Mezlaw and Resistance is futile keep it all under control here. I use this for my main site. I also go to a few others.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am

Thank you guys. We try here....
I don't post at ARF anymore myself. I won't go into the politics, just, say I've lost interest.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:57 am

Bill,Mezlaw and Resistance is futile keep it all under control here.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Very Happy

We want everyone to feel free to post without ridicule. While it's OK to disagree, there is a way to do it constructively. No one should be intimidated when posting, but we all need to expect some will have a different point of view from time to time.

We believe everyone should be able to participate at any forum, and we are greatful for the time you spend here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Badrestorer on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 pm

ARF down? And I was so looking forward to my next thread being locked. Drats.

John

Badrestorer

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 pm

I gave up on them because it seems that there are a lot of members who are just rude, and delight in putting other people down. No idea why and I haven't seen it here...and hope I never do. I had so many listed on the "foe" list it almost became useless to follow a thread. JMO
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm

N7ZAL wrote:I gave up on them because it seems that there are a lot of members who are just rude, and delight in putting other people down. No idea why and I haven't seen it here...and hope I never do. I had so many listed on the "foe" list it almost became useless to follow a thread. JMO
I hear Ya Bill. There's a couple dozen on my Foe list too.

However, I review foe's posts from time to time and remove them from the foe list. IMHO some members just go through a "bad" period of time and seem to take it out on others.

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I just tried ARF and at least as of this time it is up and running! Seems faster on screen changes than previously.

Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm

However, I review foe's posts from time to time and remove them from the foe list. IMHO some members just go through a "bad" period of time and seem to take it out on others.

Agree Chas and I would ignore the occasional "problem" post and know I did some also. However, when it was the same people time after time, well I no longer was as forgiving. Wink
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:38 am

Bill Cahill wrote:Thank you guys. We try here....
I don't post at ARF anymore myself. I won't go into the politics, just, say I've lost interest.
Bill Cahill

No point in posting at ARF.....all the good guys are either here at TRF or on their way here.

Last time I posted there I was referred to as "an ugly Aussie" by one of their prominent members for daring to suggest that because the rest of the world ( except Burma USA and Liberia ) is now using the Metric system of measurement and notation, maybe USA should think about following suit. Result: my posts were unceremoniously deleted while his remained.

Ron.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

Ron Pond wrote:
Bill Cahill wrote:Thank you guys. We try here....
Bill Cahill

No point in posting at ARF.....all the good guys are either here at TRF or on their way here.

Last time I posted there I was referred to as "an ugly Aussie" by one of their prominent members for daring to suggest that because the rest of the world ( except Burma USA and Liberia ) is now using the Metric system of measurement and notation, maybe USA should think about following suit. Result: my posts were unceremoniously deleted while his remained.

Ron.

I have been done similar by some of the members. They let it go on even though there have been many complaints. In a way I am glad it is the way it is. The trolls who are not productive generally stay over there to get their troll fix so to speak. So it gives them a home while we have a good ship here. The mods here have done excellent from what I have seen. The insults and such are not put up with here and everybody is cordial to each other. One person came here once and started that mess but was taken care of by the mods. So I do know here we don't have to worry about that mess. If they do they are quickly taken care of. that's why I am here not there.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Thank you, guys, for your kind words. I wish no ill will on ARF, but, after all that happenned to me there, I've just lost interest Period.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:13 pm

In case I didn't answer earlier, here's my answer. I don't think this one would go down. It is maintaniined by a French group, and, they have back up systems.
Rarely goes down here at all.
Welcome to TRF.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 am

Ron Pond wrote:Last time I posted there I was referred to as "an ugly Aussie" by one of their prominent members for daring to suggest that because the rest of the world ( except Burma USA and Liberia ) is now using the Metric system of measurement and notation, maybe USA should think about following suit. Result: my posts were unceremoniously deleted while his remained.

Well, Ron, while I am sorry that this happened to you, now I know that I am not the only one that was treated this way.

Between that, and the trolls there dumping on my wife the one and only time she made a post there... Evil or Very Mad Mad Rolling Eyes

Nice place here. I'm sorry I don't get over here much, it's only because of a lack of time, nothing else.
Ron Ramirez
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 am

Well Ron, stop by when you can, we love to have you here! Smile

I also left ARF due to rude treatment. No

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am

I think a lot of us left due to treatment over there. One guy sent me a really nasty email. Blaming me for all kinds of stuff that I didn't do and then he proceeds to do the very thing in his email that he accused me of. I still go for info but I don't post. I think there is a few there that delight in causing trouble and the mods will not stop it. As far as dumping on your wife that is disrespectful and disgusting. It shows me they have no raising as we say here in the south. I think it has quite a few there disgusted with life and take it out on others.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 am

Very well put Willy! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I think it has quite a few there disgusted with life and take it out on others.

Might be because it seems to be the same people. I'm on several other forums and never saw as many malcontents as on that site. I hate to think it might be behavior that is linked to antique radios. Shocked Shocked
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 pm

My problem with ARF are the purists and the "my way is the only right way" crowd. And the fact that all the stuff I like and the procedures I use are exactly what they don't like. All the radios that I have would be considered dumpster fodder to them. I like using polyurethane material on cabinets. I got flamed for that. Why bother? Life is too short to spend it with folks who annoy me. I like it here. Just common folks with different ideas, maybe, but who have respect for the each other.

That behavior is not due to radios. The classic car hobby has suffered with similar folks for years. Snobs and purists who would rather see a car made into a rat rod rather than using urethane paint on it. And, just like old radios and TV's being made into fish tanks, lots of old cars are being "repurposed" into grotesque monstrosities.

I got a PM from an ARF member who called me a "country bumpkin", a "hick" and "trailer trash." I didn't know my trailer was that trashy. I guess I will have to tie up my four-legged lawn mower closer to the porch to get all them weeds!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:My problem with ARF are the purists and the "my way is the only right way" crowd. And the fact that all the stuff I like and the procedures I use are exactly what they don't like.
WC

Don't let it bother you ,here is some food for thought on these "purists" . I remember some of these "purists" putting someone down on how they repaired a piece. I don't remember what it was exactly but I do remember that the time thinking that the very way the purists said not to do something was exactly what I had been taught by some of the older TV shop guys who helped me as a kid. I also remember In one of my original Delco,philco or other original factory repair info manuals they said to do it like the TV shop fellow had taught me. So here was this armchair "purist" who had been at this hobby a few years saying what I had been taught by a repairman who had worked on radios when they were new and also what was in the original repair info from the factory was all wrong. So that taught me there are some there that act like they know everything in reality don't know much or have the experience I have had. No way I am saying I am better but there are some there that act like they know a lot when they don't.

I have repaired these things for years now and I will be the first to admit I want to know more. I got back into them after getting burned out after dealing with people wanting their stuff fixed for nothing. I quit completely for a while repairing for others. I bought a lot of the old shop manuals as these shops were closing. I bought out a few shops as well. Back about 20 years ago I had a few articles published on repairing them and dealing with this hobby in magazines. So I have some experience and do have an idea of how to do it myself. My intentions joining there was to knock the rust off and get my feet wet again so to speak. I had not offered too much advice as because of the complaints stated. I wanted to be able once I felt like I could give good advice after I was not so rusty . I also wanted to scan and share my manuals as needed. I wanted to help out others as I had been helped out by the tv shop guys as my way of passing it on. So now I won't there because I don't want to put up with that mess. The funny thing is some of those "purists" who needed help I could have helped. I seen a few need some info but I didn't want to be called names so I don't bother to help the "purists". I do on occasion if I can help to send a PM to the person needing help. But the Purists are on their own. I say let them keep it like it is, that way the purists can stay there.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm

On ARF-
I guess I am still a member there but Iíve only gone back a few times to find info that I knew was there. I did not have any hassles while there so to speak but I did get ďcorrectedĒ once and told the path to true enlightenment was anything but the one I was on. I didnít bother to leave a note. I guess Iím still a member.

There was only one reason I chose to exit ARF. I didnít want to ask a question; any type question. Some members could pick an argument with a rock. Several times while there I chose to read an innocent looking thread only to find it had evolved into a raging argument about some minor point that usually settled down to personal choice.

If I join a group for the info and help it promises but end up not asking my questions because I fear the result, why bother? Itís just not worth the time.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm

I don't let the purists bother me. That is why I do not participate in ARF anymore, though. There are members, some of them moderators on ARF, that poo-poo any radio that is not a "Walton" or other "valuable and desirable" set, according to THEIR standards.

I assure you of this. I have had as much if not more enjoyment from my clock radios, AA5's and consoles as they have all their correct, by the book desirable and valuable sets. My fear is that they will all end up as fish tanks or guitar amps after I/we are gone anyway. So why worry about how something is refinished. Would most of us rather have a radio with a poly finish, or one that has been turned into a fish tank? It is the same either way to the purists.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: