Anyone else use a straight razor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone else use a straight razor?

Post by neali on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Since I am among a group of gentlemen that love certain antiquities, I figured I would ask. After getting rung up for $20+ for some mach 3 cartridges a year ago, I had had enough. I went to the internet and there of course forums in straight razor shaving. After lurking fr several months, I had enough info to buy a basic kit consisting of a razor, a strop, a brush and some soap.

I started slow and after 2 months I was pretty proficient. After mastering the three pass technique, I may never shave with a cartridge razor again unless I am traveling. It takes longer, 15 minutes vs 2 minutes but the difference in quality and feel is amazing. I enjoy the focus and concentration that brings to my first task after waking and brushing my teeth. Puts me in a good mood. And Mrs. Neali is VERY appreciative of the improved feel and quality aftershave and cologne.

Just thought I would ask.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else use a straight razor?

Post by 75X11 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:34 pm

My face bleeds at the thought of a safety razor. The Mach 3 was one of the biggest benefits of living in this century for me.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Speaking of razors I just seen the ad on TV of the safety razor that Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars fame is pushing. I wonder if he also sells those in his shop?

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 pm

I have used a safety razor since I started shaving. It gives me a smooth shave and I would never concider using anything else. I go through one blade a month which is a big cost savings in my book. I've tried the expensive razors including the electrics and none give me a close shave compared to my safety razor.
Tony V

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Sorry I threw the topic from straight razors. Neali, it is quite an accomplishment to master operating a instrument that is so daunting to most of us. It is a good thing to make a pleasant experience of the daily ritual.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:25 pm

I use those cheap little razors that are sold in bags at Walmart. Anything more exotic could be considered a deadly instrument in my hands. You have my sincere admiration for continuing a grand tradition in male hygiene. There is no shave like one from a straight razor. Just keeping one sharp is an art in itself.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Heck no. I won't because I don't want to bleed. I use a Gillette Fusion. It is expensive but I do not have to shave a whole lot. One cartridge can last me numerous months. The multiple blades give a nice clean shave and won't cut you. When I first started shaving at 16-17 I used a single blade Bic razor and nicked myself numerous times. I used the old style electric but didn't like it.
The razor Rick Harrison promotes is probably sold in his store, but good luck on ever getting there to find out. The store is closed to general public quite often due to taping episodes all the time. You cold probably find it online cheaper than at his store.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:30 pm

About 20 years ago, I bought a bag of Bic razors. I used 1 and nicked my face 4 times. I sat the remainder in the bag on a table at work and put a post it note on it that said "DO NOT STEAL THESE!" They were gone in 30 minutes and the next day I knew who had got them. Fortunately the nicked up fool was someone who I would've wished it upon.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Funny story 75X11!

Wildcat, you are right about keeping them sharp being an art. The strop is not so hard to use, but it only aligns the edge. Every six months they need to be honed and I send them out. Cost is about 25$ a razor and I have two razors so $50 I am good for a year. The straight razor forum people advise you to learn how to hone, but a good set of stones cost $200 - $300 bucks. And it is easy to ruin while you are learning, so I need to pick up a junk razor for $5 to practice on if I get the hones.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:35 pm

I still have my grandfathers' honing stone. It has about a 1/2"piece of one corner missing. He had long since stopped using one before he passed in 1980. It was just as well as he had Parkinsons and a sizable tremor.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:03 pm

75X11 wrote:I still have my grandfathers' honing stone.  It has about a 1/2"piece of one corner missing.  He had long since stopped using one before he passed in 1980.  It was just as well as he had Parkinsons and a sizable tremor.

Good point. I am 55 and have steady hands, but I can't count on that for life. Glad you have such a nice thing from your Grandfather. You could get by with a single 6000 - 8000 grit stone if you honed every two months. If you want to go 6 months, you need three stones. 2000, 4000 and 8000 grit. For those of us that refinish cabinets and consider 600 grit fine, the fineness of these stones is beyond belief, but you are aligning things to almost a molecular level.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:21 pm

My grandfather used to take me along when he would go to clear out the high grass ona couple of properties he owned. I acted as his cell phone to stay in touch with home. He would take his scythe, stone, some newspapers and a tomato, onion, bread and chèse for his lunch. He would whip that stone across the scythe and test it on the newspaper. It was the sort the grim reaper uses. The last test for the blade was to shave the back of his arm. It impressed the heck out of me!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 pm

I've always wanted to learned how to use a straight razor. I have a few, one new and one antique, but have yet to master the art of honing them to the required sharpness. One of these days I'll get around to having them professionally sharpened. I switched to a safety razor years ago and never looked back. Blades are dirt cheap and give the closer shave than the newfangled multibladed things that you have to take out a second mortgage to buy. I also have a couple of "Rolls Razors" that I'd like to try out one day too.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Every since my first shave with a a double edge blade in one of those twist close razors, I have been electric! I guess I didn't close the "doors" on it enough and after getting that good shaving cream on my face, I did the first pull and all I got was pain and took off the top of my skin with blood creeping up! Electric every since. Close shave? No way but no blood. No more blades for me, I could cut a major blood vessel with a straight edge.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:20 pm

I keep one of these as an emergency backup for when I need to not shave at the sink or in the shower which I usually do. Most electrics seem to bite my skin and gives me some irritation. http://www.amazon.com/BRAUN-POCKET-SHAVER-2xAA-CAP/dp/B002PCPZQA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418937255&sr=8-3&keywords=braun+m90+mobile+shaver
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:15 pm

A safety razor, like a straight razor, requires a little bit of finess. If you don't get the angle just right, you're either not shaving or your going to bleed. The newer styles of razors take all of the guess work and fun out of shaving. I never could get used to an electric. It didn't do a good job at all and it made my skin raw.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

75X11 wrote:My grandfather used to take me along when he would go to clear out the high grass ona couple of properties he owned.  I acted as his cell phone to stay in touch with home.  He would take his scythe, stone, some newspapers and a tomato, onion, bread and chèse for his lunch. He would whip that stone across the scythe and test it on the newspaper.  It was the sort the grim reaper uses. The last test for the blade was to shave the back of his arm.  It impressed the heck out of me!

That is some skill to use a river rock to hone a blade. I had a similar grandfather. He drove a truck for a lumber yard and loaded and unloaded it by hand. He delivered kegs of nails and was stronger than I was when he was 75 and I was 15. He taught me how to hone lawnmower blades with a rock and the arm shave was the same test.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:09 am

Motorola man wrote:I've always wanted to learned how to use a straight razor.  I have a few, one new and one antique, but have yet to master the art of honing them to the required sharpness.  One of these days I'll get around to having them professionally sharpened.  I switched to a safety razor years ago and never looked back.  Blades are dirt cheap and give the closer shave than the newfangled multibladed things that you have to take out a second mortgage to buy.  I also have a couple of "Rolls Razors" that I'd like to try out one day too.

If you want to learn, go here. http://straightrazorplace.com/beginners/ Read for a while and send your razor(s) to Lynn, the founder. He will hone them for you. Never ever try with an unhoned unstropped blade. You will rip your face to shreds. Who knows Motorola Man, I might have a buddy in the other hobby. And for your enjoyment, my favorite piece of Motorola equipment restored by another friend of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rEDPmGiDXs&feature=share&list=UUUPLjNJ1Vh5esNFEteegKxQ

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:15 am

jerryhawthorne wrote:Every since my first shave with a a double edge blade in one of those twist close razors, I have been electric!  I guess I didn't close the "doors" on it enough and after getting that good shaving cream on my face, I did the first pull and all I got was pain and took off the top of my skin with blood creeping up!  Electric every since.  Close shave?  No way but no blood.  No more blades for me, I could cut a major blood vessel with a straight edge.
Jerry

I saw a video where a guy - stupid beginner newbie - was demonstrating how good he was after only 2 weeks of practice. He made a dramatic motion after finishing a stroke and sliced his throat open. After a trip to the emergency room and some stitches, I have to give him credit for finishing and posting the video. He got railed on by the experienced shavers but he had the balls to post it. It made an impression on me and I did everything by the book.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top