General Electric RP-1590-A Stereo

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Electric RP-1590-A Stereo

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:51 am

I have everything back together. Before I messed with the changer, it would stall, but it would cycle. Now it does not stall, but it won't cycle. It won't pick up the tone arm when the record is done, and when you start the changer to drop the record, it shuts the instrument off. Obviously, I got something back wrong, something is stuck or jammed or something like that. It has been a long day. Everything seems to be working fine other than this. Gotta be something simple.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 am

Bet Bill could help on that one.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 am

As a matter of fact, I can. First, on VM changers the record over arm doubles as the mechanism to shut off the changer. At least part of your changer problems are likely to do with this. If the arm is bent down, or, the rod it mounts on is not properly oiled, It will cause it to stick, and, changer shut off. There is also a drive gear underneath that needs proper oiling on it's bearing, and, the small trip lever on it.
There is also a main trip lever that if you bend it, it will jam, and, not trip changer.
Also, the main slide needs a light grease on it.
All these parts play a very important part in the way the changer operates....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:08 pm

I have found out that the parts changer still works sort of okay.  It has no drive system, but if I turn it by hand it will drop the record and return the arm after the record plays, then will turn off the instrument.  I do not have a specific service manual on this changer, but I have a generic book I am looking at.  There was no appreciable grease on this changer nor on the parts changer, so I can't use the parts changer as a guide in that respect.  I was beginning to suspect that I have gotten grease somewhere it should not be.  Bill, you seem to suggest that perhaps I have not gotten it where it needs to be.  I am going to watch the parts changer work, then this one and see if I can tell where I went wrong.  Bill, I appreciate your chiming in on this, and I will check the things you have suggested.  It worked before I messed with it.  All I did was to change the motor mounts, drive tire, clean and oil the motor and then clean and grease what looked reasonable on the mechanism.  Record changers are not my strong suite.  I'm learning as I go

This changer will trip, but it drops the record, sets the tone arm on its rest, then shuts off. When I put the tone arm on the center of the record, it will just sit there. It will not lift the tone arm. I do not see anything bent. The over arm is nice and straight. Its shaft is oiled and works smoothly. I cleaned and greased the platter bearing. The platter will coast for about a minute after the motor shuts off.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Record changers outboard motors and lawn mowers are no man's land for me. Good luck in getting it to work!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:58 am

My list is record changers, church organs and two-cycle engines. I am determined to get to the bottom of this little setback. I appreciate your encouragement. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Lift up the arm that holds stack of records still. Reject the changer while holding it. If it cycles, and, goes to the record, the arm is your trouble. If bent, it won't work properly, and, changer will shut off.
When holding on top of twelve inch records, it should be even all the way without pulling down on stack. It's very important that this lever not be bent.
Also, the trip lever could still be bent if it won't reject at the end of the record. Just take it easy. VM changers are almost the easiest ones you can learn to fix, and, I think you can learn how......
I'll help in any way I can....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks, Bill, I appreciate that. I have not looked at this thing again, but that is next on my list. I will put money on the possibility that this latest malady is self-inflicted. I will check it out per your kind recommendations and get back with you.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Bill, you're a genius! Very Happy

I did what you suggested. I lifted the over arm up and cycled the changer. It went over onto the record. It dropped in the 7" position, but this is progress! And it cycled and brought the tone arm back and shut the instrument off when the record was done. This is more than I had. Now what do I do? I will go out on a limb and say that I do not SEE anything bent concerning the over arm. It appears to lay flat on the record, but I may not know what I am looking for. Thanks for your help.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Further tinkering has revealed a couple interesting facts. If I stack six records on the changer, it cycles and operates absolutely beautifully. It will change the first three records, then it refuses to work again. If I lift the over arm just slightly, it cycles and operates normally.

Just for grins, I robbed the over arm off the parts changer. I am such an idiot sometimes. Why did I not think of that earlier? The thing now works just fine. I saw nothing amiss with the original over arm. I also found that it is really important, maybe critical, to get the over arm good and tight. If it is ANY loose, the changer won't cycle. Why that arm is so finicky, I have no idea. It just rides in a long slot. I don't see how it has any effect on anything, but it definitely does. Note to self. Along with motor mounts and the drive tire, the next most important component on a record changer is the over arm.

Thanks for you help, Bill. Thanks to your instruction, I may get the hang of changers yet. I have pictures I will share once I get them on my computer. All I have to do yet is change the capacitors. I wanted to save that to last.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:18 pm

You'd be surprised how critical that arm is. By the way, if tone arm height is a little low, the adjustment is underneath the arm. The lever in the corner determines the 12" position.
The little rubber tipped lever by the turntable is for ten inch. If neither one hits a record, they automatically go into seven inch. Simplicity in itself.
I bet I could tell you what's wrong with that overarm with the right pictures of it.....
Not a genious. Just have leanred a lot. My first VM changer was in 1970. It was a 1969 record changer where the arm was skating across the record durning reject without the arm picking up, and, slamming into the rest. It would drop the record, then, slam into the edge of the record, and, skate accorss. I studied it, and, the schematic for one day. The next day I found the problem. A bent lever, and, straightened it. The first time I tried it, the changer worked perfectly, only needing minor adjustment. The boss was shocked. From that time, on, I was appointed professional record changer repair man. I repaired two others since....
On my own stuff, I've repaired several. The only one I'm still stuck on is a model 200 VM nightmare slicer changer from after the war. It's causing major headaches....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:37 pm

75X11 wrote:Record changers outboard motors and lawn mowers are no man's land for me.  Good luck in getting it to work!
I can deal with mowers, but the first two terrify me. No
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:45 pm

That over arm runs in a long slot. It looks like it does nothing. The next one I do will get this thing removed, cleaned and lubed right after I change the motor mounts and the drive tire. I have a VM changer in a Motorola stereo at home that is doing the same thing. I'll bet money it has the same problem. Gunge and sticky stuff gomming up the works.

Well, Bill, all I can say is that without your guidance and sharing your experience, this project would at least be much more frustrating for yours truly, and might not have been successful at all. And, again, I sincerely appreciate all you have done with this. I learned a lot. I may have to take changers off that list. Very Happy

Have you had any experience with church organs or two cycle engines, by any chance? Rolling Eyes

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Here are some pictures as promised.  I appreciate the interest in and help with this project.  I have learned a lot and perhaps someone else will be helped with their project sometime by this thread.  Not in any particular order of importance.

Motor mounts.  Three new ones on the left.  Three old ones on the right.

Motor mounts installed, waiting for the motor.

The "nector of the gods" for record changers.  Zoom spout turbine oil and Phonolube.  I got the turbine oil at Grainger's and the Phonlube at VM Enthusiasts.

This is the newly cleaned, lubed, adjusted and tested Alliance motor.  The frau put the kaibash on my using lacquer thinner in her kitchen to clean the motor bearings.  My next door neighbor has a parts washer that was pressed into phonograph bearing cleaning duty.  She even made me remove "all your junk" from MY electronics repair bench (her kitchen island) so she could fix supper!  The nerve!

The hardware that held the motor in.  I had not seen a changer with wire nuts on the wiring.  This appears to be factory.  I understand that if the wires are not connected properly, the motor can run backwards.  I have not experienced this phenomenon myself.  Three different size "Jesus clips" hold the motor.

Here we are, with the motor in, everything lubed and ready to see if it works.  It didn't!  Read comments previously.  I was bummed.

Here is the top of the changer.  I guess I need to put the platter on to see if it works.  It still didn't.  I was still bummed.

The final product.  Cleaned, lubed, ready to go.  Almost.  See above.

This changer was operating at approximately a 15 degree angle here.  That is amazing, considering I have not set tone arm pressure yet, and the needle is beyond junk.  The front of the changer is about an inch higher than the rear.  I was watching it work.  These things are tough old changers.

Here is the official "first" record played on this instrument.  I bought this record at Goodwill to use so I would not tear up my good records during testing and repair.  I really hope I have not ruined this record.  It is not a bad, if cheap, record.  It is on the Coronet label, and is not stereo.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:41 pm

I have been informed that the first official record played on this instrument will be the exact same one that was first played on it when purchased new in December, 1961. A Montovani recording. That should be an exciting day for Don, and his "new" 1961 GE stereo.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:48 pm

That's the first time I have heard Montovani referred to as official. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:04 am

Tonight was the big night. The GE stereo was officially broken in with the original Montovani record being played for the first time in years. The night a 56 year old man was left blubbering like a little kid. A night we neither one thought would ever come together. Almost 15 years from start to finish. It could not have gone better. This is the reason I mess with this old stuff. Moments like that are impossible to choreograph. They just happen. The next step will be to restore the cabinet to something better than it currently is, and knowing Don, it will be better than it ever was.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 pm

I just found out that Don has another stereo like this one. Just bought it on ebay. Here we go again.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:26 pm

They couldn't have buggered both up equally badly?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:55 pm

The one he just got is the nicest of the three, hands down.  By the time he gets the one I just finished redone cosmetically, it will be a sweetheart.  I guess he must like that model.  Now he has three.  I may redo his parts stereo.  He is making noises like he wants that done.  Good thing I didn't get crazy robbing parts off it!

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:14 pm

If anybody has the opportunity to play with one of the 1200 series VM changers, I learned something recently that may be of value to you someday.

This particular changer exhibited a rather strange fault after it had been in operation for a time. The owner is running the wheels off it, using it for several hours a day. Getting caught up on listening to his record collection, I guess. Anyway, he called and reported that once in awhile, maybe once in every two dozen cycles or so, the tone arm would jump up about an inch just before the changer cycled off. Fearing some obscure, uncureable fault I watched the changer cycle. After the last record is played, the tone arm would move over the stand, hang there for a second, sit down, come up a tad, and, after the record sensor found no more records, the tone arm would sit back down and the changer would shut off. Once, when I was watching it, the tone arm came over the rest after the last record, sat down, then it popped up about an inch, sat down, and the changer shut off. I raised up the tone arm and noticed a metal cup-shaped clip that is intended to lock down the tone arm for transport. Apparently, that clip had gotten stretched. When the tone arm sat down, it would occasionally fall down far enough to partially lock the arm down. When the changer cycled and lifted the arm, it would have to pull the tone arm off the rest and it would pop up. Using needle nosed pliers, I squeezed the tone arm clip together somewhat. The tone arm falls on the rest rather forcefully at times, but this minor tweak seems to have fixed the problem.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:00 pm

It's been many years, but, there is a lever in the cycle that if bent, or, gummy, it will cause that jumping.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top