The homeowners' association

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The homeowners' association

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:07 pm

We have been wanting to paint our house. We have owned it three years and the original color is not one that we would have chosen. There is a new house just down the street that we liked the color of, so we found out what that color was, went to a Frazee paint store, got color chips and submitted our colors with a request to the HOA to give us a permit to repaint our house. It was basically three different shades of gray. The house has a concrete tile roof on it, so gray paint will set off the roof better than the current color. The HOA turned down our first request, stating that our chosen colors "did not reflect the ambiance of the community." So I took a picture of the NEW house down the street, and three or four other similarly painted homes in our neighborhood, submitted those and our color chips to the HOA. Again, it was rejected. We had not included the street addresses of the homes cited in our request. The HOA told us that we needed to follow the "established color palates, provided for members in their membership information." I consulted our information, on DVD and found NO such reference to colors of homes. All is said was the the developer and building contractor had certain colors for new homes to be painted. I sent a note to the HOA manager babe advising her that I was gonna paint my (bleep) house, with our without her blessings, and if I got even a dirty look from the HOA, I would see them in court. I ask for the correct spelling of her name to add to the lawsuit. I further stated that she was gonna have a problem enforcing adherence to a "color palate" that was vague and may not exist. Within two days of my sending that little note, she hand delivered an approval letter and said that the colors we had chosen were going to look "just darling." Rolling Eyes

I am generally a fan of HOA's since there is no junk or debris within five miles of our home. The common area look like golf courses and the trees are neatly trimmed, the curbs are painted, streets swept and painted, and is just generally a pleasant place to be. No house trailers, campers, boats, tractors, farm equipment, junk vehicles, swing sets, loud stereos or domestic disturbances and other such crap that can be seen from the street. You can't park on the street overnight, you can't have a trailer on your property, if you have green grass in your front yard, you must plant winter grass, and you gotta have 11 approved live plants in your front yard. No plastic plants, they check. Not 10, or you'll get a letter. 12 or 14 is just fine. You may have colored light bulbs in your coach lamps from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. CFL's only, or you get a letter. They have snitches running around on ATV's looking for violators. They work hard at keeping the place nice, and I appreciate that. Sometimes they tend to take the small stuff a tad to seriously.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: The homeowners' association

Post by 75X11 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 pm

The HOA can be a mixed blessing. I would try to appreciate the good they can do. Maybe you expanded their horizons somewhat with your little tete a tete. Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:30 pm

To quote Lurch(Adams Family) Uhhhh...

Couldn't give me a house in such a community...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 pm

I would rather have to spar with the "manager babe" on occasion that to have to live in someone else's filth. Shocked

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:55 pm

To each his own but you will never catch me living in a comunity with a HOA. I live in a very rural part of Virginia where it is mostly farm land. There is a lot of pride in ownership and HOA's are not needed. I wouldn't do well in a place where I had to get permission on the color of my house.

However........I'm glad they exist for the people who want them, it's keeps that kind of thing (and people) away from the free lifestile I enjoy. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:I would rather have to spar with the "manager babe" on occasion that to have to live in someone else's filth.  Shocked

WC

I can't argue that point and as clean as the Shenandoah Valley is, we do have a few (very few) pigs!

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:45 pm

If I can bring my chickens, maybe I'll reconsider...

35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:15 am

I have a neighbor in MO who makes me wish for an HOA there at times. He EVENTUALLY cleans his place up. I remember when I was on the farm. I remember farmers mowing and spraying their fence rows and "grubbin' out the staubs" from the fencerow. Most farmers mowed the roadside with their lawnmower to the neighbor's place. On both sides. Some even mowed their barnyards. Everybody had whitewashed fences. I have worked many an hour for a quarter an hour whitewashing fences. My frau would have chickens if I would let her, HOA be damned! Laughing

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:38 am

MEZLAW wrote:To each his own but you will never catch me living in a comunity with a HOA.  I live in a very rural part of Virginia where it is mostly farm land.  There is a lot of pride in ownership and HOA's are not needed.  I wouldn't do well in a place where I had to get permission on the color of my house.  

However........I'm glad they exist for the people who want them, it's keeps that kind of thing (and people) away from the free lifestile I enjoy. Wink  

I hope my poking the HOA in the ribs did not offend anyone. I just paid a guy to rake the neighbor's leaves in MO so they won't build up against my house. I guess I need to learn to keep my trap shut. I apologize if I went too far.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:11 am

You didn't go too far.  You just expressed what you liked and it happens to be different from me.  I would hate this world if we all wanted the same thing.  I like things clean and neat too, I just don't like rules! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:13 am

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:05 pm

MEZLAW wrote:This is pretty typical around here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shenandoah_valley_farm_0163.jpg

Very pretty country. I get nervous if I have to live more than 10 miles from salt water and waves, but a view like that could grow on me.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:57 pm

I live in an area called "Old Louisville".  It is controlled by the Historical Society, which I call The" Hysterical" Society.  They have the final word on what color you can paint your house, if you can put up a fence or even prune a tree.  

These people wield WAY too much power, and they love to use it.  There was this one guy who painted his house pink.  Bright lovely pink just to piss them off.  They got a court injunction requiring him to pay $10,000 a year as long as it remained that color.  He paid rather than give in.  Good for him.  

I've been trying to extend my side fence 15' to the sidewalk so that I can let Rocky out in the front yard, where he goes anyway when the front door is open.  There is fencing all around the yard and down that side except for this 15'.  I have to replace it with the exact same type of fence, which costs $50 per 5' and it MUST be professionally installed by someone approved by them.  I can't just do it myself.

Ya know, sometimes it's easier to apologize than ask permission.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I live in the hysterical district of my home town, so I know your pain. Thankfully, they're not quite as strict around here. I only have to get permission to do make any changes that will be visible from the street. The bad part is that if I want to change something, they require a $65 application fee, the application is shared with the neighbors, then there is a public hearing and a vote by the board members. I subscribe to the apologize rather than ask permission theory. As long as I dont piss off the neighbors, it's not an issue.

A few years ago, one my neighbors got upset at the board, so he took up a little revenge against them. They had turned down his application for a change of colors, citing that his selection wasn't historically accurate. They gave him an approved color pallet of pastels to choose from. He took that to the extreme by painting his house with EVERY color on their list. He also painted his picket fence with the same colors, each panel being different. The house is now commonly referred to around here as the Easter Egg house. Way to stick it to the man!
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:46 pm

There are homes here that have not had their yards tended in years and others that have blue tarps making up a major portion of their roofs. Sometimes I think a little HOA would be nice.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Don't have a HOA around here, but the township can come down hard on things like overgrown grass, junk cars and junk in general The woman that used to live across the road from me had a car parked along the road with expired tags more than a year old and the township towed it away and charged her for it. same goes with grass, they will have it mowed and you will have to pay for it.  There was a guy that lived not far from here that was hoarding old lawn mowers, garden tractors and about anything with a small gas engine. Then to find out he also hoarded animals dogs, cats, a pony and a deer!

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Motorola man wrote:I live in the hysterical district of my home town, so I know your pain.  Thankfully, they're not quite as strict around here.  I only have to get permission to do make any changes that will be visible from the street.  The bad part is that if I want to change something, they require a $65 application fee, the application is shared with the neighbors, then there is a public hearing and a vote by the board members.  I subscribe to the apologize rather than ask permission theory.  As long as I dont piss off the neighbors, it's not an issue.  

A few years ago, one my neighbors got upset at the board, so he took up a little revenge against them.  They had turned down his application for a change of colors, citing that his selection wasn't historically accurate.  They gave him an approved color pallet of pastels to choose from.  He took that to the extreme by painting his house with EVERY color on their list.  He also painted his picket fence with the same colors, each panel being different.  The house is now commonly referred to around here as the Easter Egg house.  Way to stick it to the man!

Ha ha- good for him.

I intend to get mock up sections from Lowes that match the front fence for $14 per section.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top