Over-the-air TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Over-the-air TV

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:16 pm

We have a TV in the breakroom at work. It receives OTA broadcasts. It is clear as cable or satellite. Have any of you guys tried OTA TV? I am thinking about tinkering with this some. I have a cable conversion box for my old CRT TV. Will a cheapie antenna work, or do I need a "smart antenna?" There are allegedly 60-odd channels in Phoenix. Thanks.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Over-the-air TV

Post by Conelrad on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

A cable box doesn't necessarily do the necessary conversion from HDTV channels to analog. You may need a digital converter box, like the ones that were free for a while.

OTA TV is all we need. We too live in (well, sort of) the Phx metro; About 20 mi due South of South Mountain.

We watch a newer JVC flatscreen, fed from a simple rooftop folded dipole. About 30 channels programmed in, and all excellent quality and FREE!

If I crank the ant around, we get 2 stations out of Tucson.

Beats paying for it....

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks, Dennis. I think I'll tinker a bit and see what happens. You are about 20 miles or so due west of me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:40 am

I've tried the channel spread in this area using an indoor antenna with both an analog with adapter and my flat screen. I can get MeTv and Antenna tv and the PBS stations. The network affiliates come in well too, but I stopped watching them when Barney Miller went off the air.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:19 am

I'm going to have to try it. I have a new box I haven't tried, yet. It should work well on rabit ears.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:47 pm

I live 35 miles due SE of downtown Phoenix, and I need an amplified antenna to get METV and Antenna TV.  A cheap antenna is not a good thing, apparently.  We allegedly have over 60 channels and sub-channels in this area, again allegedly available over the air.  We'll see.  I have an RCA box for my old RCA tv, so the remote for the converter box works with the TV. The "channel scanning" on the box is a PITA, and you need to do it more than once. The antenna needs to be turned to keep the picture from breaking up, just like in the olden days. This is progress?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:54 am

Not progress, rather "spectrum redistribution to screw broadcasters and make a LOT of $$ by selling it off to cell and data providers". Not to mention having everybody buy new TV's you just can't fix.

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 pm

On the plus side, when digital works, it works well. Those old black and white movies are crystal clear, even on a CRT TV. So I think that part is better. The trick is getting it to come in dependably.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 pm

I would have had a frustrated childhood with digital transmission.  We were on the fringes of any broadcast stations and would have thermal distortion of the signals from the late afternoon to sundown.  These days the improvement would be to get zip-ola.  Sort of like doing without mediocre in search of perfect.  Change for changes' sake.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:08 pm

I have a digital TV in the bedroom, which is cool, (I didn't know it until I checked all of the TV's), and I bought a converter box for the kitchen.  They both have great signals.  I bought an amplified antenna and wound up pulling out the amp and using it as rabbit ears,  Later tests showed that it amplified some stations and damped others.  I guess when you buy cheap on eBay ya take yer chances.  I have a regular rabbit ears in the bedroom and it works great.

It turns out that I only watch the news to see what lies they're telling today, and Columbo.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Public Broadcasting usually has some good stuff, too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 am

Seattle has over 30 ota broadcast stations, other than the wind blowing and moving my OLD outside antenna around then loosing the signal, sound or locking up. Its free and sharp pictures.
However I don't care for all the openness and swearing amongst other things kids watch. PBS is my favorite. We have 3 channels (2 others are locked out) and 3 from Tacoma.
We get State senate and State supreme court in sessions through Tacoma stations.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum