SMD LED vs EL Wire/Tape

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SMD LED vs EL Wire/Tape

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 pm

I had plans to get red and green SMD LED strips off of eBay but the first red strip I ordered was from China, which I ordered by mistake since I didn't pay attention when ordering from my phone. The second red strip I ordered is in the U.S but taking forever to ship. Then the green one I ordered was apparently in bad condition or out of stock since the seller messaged me and asked if I'd be willing to accept a refund. So I started looking on Radio Shack's website for LED strips but they didn't have much for them. So as I was scrolling it showed EL Wire and Tape. I've never seen the stuff before and wondered how it compared to LED's? Now I wouldn't be using it with a small voltage source, I'd be using it wired in parallel with speakers so it will flash to the beat of the music. I know that can be done with LED strips and low voltage light bulbs as i've done it in the past. I'm just not certain the same can be done with EL wire. BTW the LED's were going to be part of my Christmas Light display. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions that are easy and fairly inexpensive.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: SMD LED vs EL Wire/Tape

Post by Motorola man on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:16 pm

I've seen some EL wire kits that's made to do what you want. I have worked with EL before, and it's not very bright. If you're planning to use it in a night time display, it should be fine. In full light, you probably won't be able to see it very well.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:12 am

I only plan to use it at night time. This is what i'm looking at: http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-el-tape-1m-green/2760367.html#q=el%2Btape%2Bgreen&start=1&tab=tab2 (along with the matching red)
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top