Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm considering using my Kenwood CD player I have to play Christmas music outside, which means i'd have to run it off of a power supply. Now i'm just not certain how large of one I would need. I'm thinking a 1-2 amp would be sufficient but not certain. I don't want to put too small of one on it and have it fail. Would that be large enough or should I go 3-4 amps? The supply I get would likely be 12 volts and not 13.5-14 with no load. Just something inexpensive off of The Bay. Sure a nice large regulated supply would be nice, but not happening right now.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 pm

If you have the manual or the original harness for it, check the fuse rating. That makes an easy clue.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:36 pm

It has a 10 amp fuse in it. I see that as it pulls less than 10 amps.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Most I've seen have been fused at 10A. I would go 3-4 on the power supply. The heapest way to go would be a auto battery charger and a borrowed battery, maybe a riding mower battery someone would want to exercise this time of year.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:30 pm

I have a car battery out of my car, rated at 800 CA and 650 CCA. I guess I could keep a trickle charger on it during the duration of running the CD Player. I can get a HFT automatic float charger for 10.00, which is just a bit more than a cheap power supply. That would work wouldn't it?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 pm

You can use a 500ma@12v wall wart as a maintainer, assuming five/six hours of player operation a 250ma would probably be OK...

I've used 12v@1A wall wart to recharge a dead car battery(lights left on) enough in 24 hrs to be able to start car...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm

That'd give you nice clean strong power, with a little bit of cheap thrown in.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 pm

I am using a small transmitter with a little transistor radio for Christmas music outside. I have it hidden in a bush and it freaks people out. I have the transmitter connected to the "tape out" on a Magnavox stereo. My CD changer is connected to the "tape in".

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Playing the wizard of Menlo Park, eh? Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 pm

That's what I figured, but had to be certain. I like the idea of using the battery instead of a cheap switching supply that could fail at any time or produce RF noise.
I wouldn't mind do something with a transmitter and portable radio, but I don't have either. Where I can set up the CD Player and speakers isn't that far of a distance so it's not that bad to do and only requires a few feet of speaker wire.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I have a 300 disc Sony CD changer that I play thru my old stereos. I have my little transmitter connected to a tape output on the Imperial. I just play the stereo like I know what I am doing and it plays on the little transistor radio out in the bushes. The radio I am using is a Radio Shack multi-band I gave $1 for at an auction. It is pretty beat and is missing its battery cover. If somebody steals it or if it rains on it, who cares? It has a fairly good speaker with a tone control, and it sounds really good. The neighbors do not like Mel Tillis, I guess. I had the transmitter on today when I decided to jam. I had forgotten about it. I got a call from the HOA. OOPS!

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:http://r.ebay.com/XVpPBm

I have one of those RS specials 3 amp power supply. It is older and doesn't have the cigarette lighter plug, just screws in the back to connect. Anyway it is a rock steady supply. I have had it over 30 years and in that time I replaced the transformer once and the tip 30 transistor a couple of times. Easy to fix also. Anyway that is the supply I have used when I repaired radio ,tape decks. Best I remember it powered most if not all fine. I haven't used it on a CD but I would think the power draw would be similar. I even have a scan of the schematic and when I need a 12 volt supply I usually make it from that schematic. Most of the time I have the parts in my junkbox and build it from parts I already have.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 pm

I actually found a 3.3 amp power supply at a thrift store today. I paid 25 cents for it. It's just a small switching supply and not certain if it works. If it does i'm going to use it but give it a trial run first and see how it performs. If it doesn't work then i'm only out 25 cents. I'll eventually build me or get me a supply. I have an old computer supply but I use that for my 12 volt fan and to charge my Bluetooth speaker with the 5 volt section.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top