Martina McBride

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Martina McBride

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Since nobody apparently likes old country music with dead artists, perhaps we can generate some interest in a live country artist.  How about Martina McBride?  I will admit to not being a Martina McBride fan.  I find her music to be pitched higher than her natural voice, producing the modern screechy singing style.  Even I learn something occasionally, albeit usually kicking and screaming.

My beloved, long-suffering frau got me a Martina McBride album from 2005, "Timeless."  It was a sales bomb, since it is an album of traditional country music.  "Rose Garden", "Hey, Good Lookin'", "I Can't Stop Loving You", "Look Me Up On Your Way Down."  I have never heard this album played even one time on radio.  Some of the best musicians in Nashville appear on this album.  This album sounds like it was recorded at least 30 years before it was.   The tempo and pitch have both been lowered to traditional country music standards.  Martina actually has a quite pleasant voice when it is appropriately pitched.  The musicians play like real musicians rather than just making noise.  The drummer is not playing like he is driving roofing nails.  He uses brushes and rim shots, just like in the good old days.  Lots of steel guitar and piano riffs.  Good twin fiddles.  Some pretty good picking in general.  Sounds REALLY good at a "turn that thing down!" volume setting on a Magnavox Imperial with the bass cranked up, and the timbre control a little better than half way.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5286
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Martina McBride

Post by Ragwire on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:36 am

I only like the old country music. The new crossover stuff doesn't do it for me. I like rock, but not mixing the two.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 pm

I have that CD called Timeless , and I do agree that her voice is a little too high and she seems to be straining to sing .
If you take those songs and listen to them by the original artists, they don't seem to be having any challenges singing.
But then those artists were good; not manufactured [STARS?]
Recording artists became stars because they were good. I still like the original country songs by the original artists.
If fifty years you are not going to hear any of the people who make records now.

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I'm thankful that the old LP's I have enjoyed for so long are still a viable source of entertainment. Those old records, with many times long-dead artists played on equipment that was considered obsolete 40 years ago bring a special pleasure that I can't imagine anything modern providing. The talent to produce good music simply does not exist compared to what we enjoyed 50 years ago. I'm not sure we appreciated it when we had it.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5286
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top