I finally did it.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I finally did it.

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:11 pm

I had to buy a new cellphone yesterday. I had a Trac-Fone from like 1998 and the company emailed me and told me that I could not add more time to that phone since it was not possible to update. It was getting kinda tacky. The antenna was busted and held on with clear shipping tape. The case was pretty beat up from hauling it around in my pocket with car keys. There were lots of places where I did not have service. I had nearly 2000 minutes on it. I use it maybe a dozen times a year. Other than when the wife and I are shopping, I don't think I ever answered it. I just used it for when I actually needed it. I hate cellphones, and only have one to keep peace in the family. Nobody has the number. I don't get spam. There are messages on it, but I never read them because I did not know how. The clock was never set right for the same reason. I had to subtract an hour and add fifteen minutes if I wanted accurate time. There were little buttons that ran different functions, but they made no sense to me.

This phone seems to be simpler to operate. The only button is the power button. You can touch the screen and things will work. I actually made my first text! Silly, but I did it. Why would you want to go to all the trouble to type a message, ON A PHONE, when you could just call the person, ON THE PHONE? This phone cost a whole $39.95, (I know, I splurged) while the old one was free with the service (A Christmas time promotion.) The stupid carrying case cost more than the phone. What a ripoff that was. I can WiFi, surf the net, and play music and watch movies. I really feel modern. I will still use it for a phone only. I MAY give a couple people my number, just for grins.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: I finally did it.

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Why would you want to go to all the trouble to type a message, ON A PHONE, when you could just call the person, ON THE PHONE?

I've been asking that question for a few years now, and every looks at me as if I'm the one who is nuts!

My answer is always the same;

"I don't need you.....you need me... and you are going to have to call and talk if you want my help!

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 pm

And I thought I was the only one out there who felt that way about cell phones. Only my wife has my number.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Wildcat, are you my father? lol!
My dad is the same way about his phone. When he's out with mom, he doesn't even bring his phone along. He just started texting with it this year. The only reason that he's even entertained the idea of getting a new phone is because I introduced him to Pandora radio.

I rely on my phone pretty heavily for data, but not so much for calling. I'm the poster child for the phrase "man of few words," it's rare for me to call anyone, much less to carry on a long conversation. I do text from time to time, especially at work. I have to pass along information to my coworkers, and rather than having them stop what they're doing to write stuff down, I just text it to them. No fear of sloppy handwriting on a post-it note that may get lost, it's right there on their phone.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:58 pm

The only useful purpose a cellphone serves is when the frau and I go into a big store.  She is never where she is supposed to be, so we turn on our phones so we can find each other.  That works slick.  And if we have trouble on the road.  Otherwise it is an appliance.  If there were still any pay phones around, I would be carrying a nickel in my penny loafers in case I needed to make a call.  I can do my sums, my "guzzintas" I can write in cursive, I can spell pretty well usually.  I do not need a phone for that.  I write appointments on a calendar.  I get what little data I need on a computer.  I take pictures with a camera, I listen to music on a Magnavox, I make person-to-person communication with a telephone.  I watch movies on a TV set.  LOTS simpler.  I always carry my phone.  It is never on.  Nobody has the number, except the frau.  MEZ, Jerry, your dad and I are all on the same page.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm

You hit the nail on the head there! cellphones make great walkie-talkies. This Razr v3xx does play a 16gb mp3 library pretty well, but the essential reason I have a cell for is to call for help.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Since I receive aid, (because I'm poor), I qualify for a free phone with 250 free minutes a month. It is iWireless through Kroger.  I can add minutes and all of my minutes roll over to the next month.  I have no idea how to use it as anything but a phone although apparently I have unlimited text, I can surf the web and I have 100,000 free pictures left.  Maybe someday I can figure it out.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1055
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:52 pm

My sister has one with the web. It has been a great asset to her in finding the things she needs on the web and finding better prices to make her money go further.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Oh crap!! My trackphone is from around 2000. I only have two years left?? I don't want to get a new one, I like it ,very minimal, no fancy stuff. Oh well.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:12 pm

I was very happy with mine, too. It was getting pretty busted up and I didn't even have service at home. I used it maybe a dozen times a year, so who cares? The new one has lots more features, it has no little buttons, I know how to put numbers in and sort of how to text. That is such a stupid thing to do, that I have likely done my first and only text. I can load music on it, which might be nice. It is a camera, which may come in handy. I have no idea how to retrieve the pictures, but there are plenty of kids at work who can help me with that. I had no choice. I could not put on more minutes, and was in danger of losing all my minutes if I didn't do something. I have 1966 minutes left on the new phone. I will NEVER use that much time. AND, I get TRIPLE minutes when I put more on, so that will be even more I won't use. The case to hold the phone was almost $45, and the phone was $39.95, so that was not bad. It is an LG 4-something or the other. I'm confused, but I can make a call, and have set my ring tone, and have adjusted the volume, so I'm all set.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Now I can text Wildcat pictures of my resto projects Smile
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:58 pm

On mine, I can download ringtone sized audio bites on my card then apply them as ringtones.  This is the ringtone I use.  I don't miss calls.

http://www.emergencyfans.com/sounds/1claxon2.mp3
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:38 am

You could text me, Doc, but I haven't learned how to get my text messages yet. I can send, kinda, but I'm a little vague on receiving.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top