Juliette Radio Model 3184 - Low Output (Not sure)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Juliette Radio Model 3184 - Low Output (Not sure)

Post by Jerry R. on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Juliette Radio Model 3184

I picked up the above radio at Goodwill and the volume although adequate seems to be low at maximum setting and there was a buzz in the background. I substituted two 500 uF electrolytics with two 330 uF for testing only and the buzz problem was fixed. If I decide to keep the radio, I will use 500 uF capacitors.

1. Does someone know what to expect for volume levels? I realize alignment can be an issue, but should I check on something else? Or, maybe this model was designed for a lower wattage output.

2. Can someone link me with Service/Operating/ Schematics/Parts material for this radio?

I donít have test equipment, only a VOM.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry R.

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Juliette Radio Model 3184 - Low Output (Not sure)

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Jerry, welcome.

Is this your radio?

http://r.ebay.com/ZS9VGk

I couldn't find a "3184".

Even if it isn't your radio, the vast majority of the time replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors will restore full functionality as they "dry out" after so many years, and those radios didn't use the best quality components to begin with. Transistor radios used electrolytics to couple stages as well as the basic filtering and blocking as found in other radios.

Service info may be tough to find, Juliette and others were off shore built and supplied to chain stores like Woolworth's etc, a quick buy for consumers who didn't want to spend a lot.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Other thoughts to consider, make sure the batteries are fresh and their contacts are clean (so there is not any unwanted voltage drops).

The earphone jack change over contacts could be dirty, rapidly plugging/unplugging a plug into it may burnish (clean) the contacts.

There may be dirty switches as well, or even an electronic circuitry issue, but as I said, most of the time it is those darn electrolytics hurting performance.
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Welcome to TRF, Jerry.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Yes, the link you provided is the radio I have. Thanks for looking it up. I plan to change the lytics and I have new batteries.

I checked Riderís Index and it was not listed. I wonder if Sams Photofact would have it? Not sure if I can find out on the Internet.

Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Your best bet would be to do some searches on the net using the radio's brand and model number. The instruction sets with schematics for these old units come up for sale occasionally. Some folks post the schematics also. Good luck!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks for your help. The circuit board is very compact and difficult to work on. †After my last post I took the radio apart to see what I would need to do. Removing the electrolytics and identifying the polarity of their positions would not be easy to do. † †Without a schematic and parts list to back me up, I hesitate to go further. † And, what I paid for the unit would not justify the time I would need to replace the capacitors if I could.

I did Google with the information I had and nothing turned up. †
Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Look at the electrolytics carefully. Usually the side with the negative is marked on the side many times with an arrow pointing toward the bottom and there will be minuses on the arrow line. They marked them like this to ease manufacture. Dr. radio is right about the dirty contacts. If you can get to them they usually can be cleaned of the tarnish using a brush and 91% isopropyl alcohol. After you clean them and lett hem dry, work the switches and controls. Many times that will get it operating under battery power. The switch contacts are usually silver plated and tarnished. Thje alcohol really cleans them up.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Jerry R. wrote:Yes, the link you provided is the radio I have. †Thanks for looking it up. †I plan to change the lytics and I have new batteries.

I checked Riderís Index and it was not listed. †I wonder if Sams Photofact would have it? †Not sure if I can find out on the Internet.

Jerry

Jerry,

The radio is waaay to new for Riders. Riders only covers up to about 1955. Your radio is mid to late 60s. SAMS may possibly have it, may be worth looking into. Sometimes larger public libraries have listings for Photofacts.
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top