The Fools On The Hill

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Fools On The Hill

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:18 pm

The subject of historical videos in the clubhouse reminded me of this program that is a dramatic account of the first test broadcasts of the competing television systems for the standard television system to be used in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtijZAQJEY
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Fools On The Hill

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:48 pm

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...............................

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:48 pm

I will have to see if I can find this online. It kind of reminded me of the movie the radioland murders. If you haven't seen that its a good movie about the hayday of radios. Or at least I liked it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:04 pm

British dramas are an acquired taste for many Americans. It annoys them that they need to think along with watching in order to understand them. I'm reminded of that when I see British tv series that have been remade in the states. The scripts are usually trashed and can't even get a following here.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm

75X11 wrote:British dramas are an acquired taste for many Americans.  It annoys them that they need to think along with watching in order to understand them.  I'm reminded of that when I see British tv series that have been remade in the states.  The scripts are usually trashed and can't even get a following here.

Sanford and son was a remake of the Brittish show Steptoe and son. I have seen some of those and although they are similar, both junk collectors they tend to have a different twist. Fred was a grumpy type of character but you liked him while the dad on Steptoe I always thought was a real jerk like to his son, he wasn't likeable to me at all.

One of my favorite shows is Are you being served. The characters on it really stand out.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm just finishing watching the full series "The Sweeney" with John Thaw and Dennis Waterman. They remade the series "Cracker" and "Prime Suspect" in the states, but they are a pale fake compared to the originals. Both even aired in the states well before they were remade. I've watched "Are You Being Served" over and over, and I still get big laughs from it.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 pm

The local PBS station has been showing 2 titles from Acorn Media. One was "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" and the current one is "The Doctor Blake Mysteries". Each appear to be from Australia. I prefer the Dr. Blake programs, though they aren't Inspector Morse. After seeing the Morse episodes 2 to 3 times, Morse isn't Morse these days. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top