"Cramer At The Console"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Cramer At The Console"

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:11 am

As much as I am a fan of piano music in general and Floyd Cramer in specific, I dislike organ music as much.  The only place I find organ music appropriate is in church or in a funeral home.  I find an organ generally worthless otherwise.  I ran across this record, on RCA Victor, LSP-2883, from 1964, in Stereo Dynagroove.  Not only does Floyd Cramer play a new whiz-bang (for 1964) Seeburg electronic organ, but, at least in this one instance, he makes organ music enjoyable.  With a format a bit different than that found on a typical Cramer recording, muted trumpets and four-part saxophone ala Billy Vaugh accompany Cramer on the console.  The Nashville Sound musicians typically found on his recordings are still there for the Cramer purists.  Chet Atkins on guitar, Bob Moore on bass, Buddy Harman on drums, and the Anita Kerr Singers.  "Have You Ever Been Lonely" is one of my favorites on this album.  The more of Floyd Cramer's material I accumulate, the more versatile I find this incredibly talented pianist was.  Many country artists who recorded a successful album during the 1960's utilized Floyd Cramer's talent.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: "Cramer At The Console"

Post by Dan Walker on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:57 pm

I see there are some others people who enjoy Floyd Cramer besides myself.
As far as I am concerned there has never been anyone who could play as good as Floyd. There is just something special about how he brings those notes to life with such feeling.. I have a lot of his albums , but the best one I enjoy listening to is Floyd Cramer in Concert. recorded live for a grade nine graduation. I also have several 78s by him. Of course LAST DATE has to be his best.
I have probably listened to Last Date hundreds of times and I never get tired of it.
I have two regrets as far as music is concerned..I didn't se Floyd Cramer in person , and I didn't see Elvis in person.
there is one person who plays the piano exactly like Floyd Cramer and his name is Jason Colman and he is Floyd Cramer's grandson.
Check him out on you tube

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:17 pm

I am a HUGE Floyd Cramer fan. Did you ever watch the Lawrence Welk show? LW employed the ONLY other person, Jason Coleman included, who could play a piano exactly like Floyd Cramer. The late Bob Smale. Did you ever hear Cramer's version of "Wonderland By Night"? It is on his "On The Rebound" album from 1961. Floyd Cramer is an artist who never recorded a bad note. His early material, recorded in "hyper-stereo" (Living Stereo) are my favorites. Welcome aboard.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 am

I may be the only one but I like the sound of a organ. Here is a clip from a movie I watched over the weekend. It is Ethel Smith playing the organ. Even if you don't like organs it is worth a watch just to see her hands in actions. How she moves so fast is beyond me.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:05 am

I tinker on the piano, mostly to amuse myself. Playing an organ is another skill set altogether.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:11 am

One of my favorite groups has been Steely Dan. I ordered a CD set of their work a few years ago. One song that did not get airplay I had never heard had a organ in it. I listened to it and thought it was a lesilie speaker with a hammond organ due to the sound. I had worked on this combo a few times and thought that was what it was. I did a search and it was that setup.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top