Jimmy Dean

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jimmy Dean

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Jimmy Dean was known for more than sausage and "Big Bad John."  Mr. Dean was a semi-famous TV host in the late 1950's and 1960's.  He was the country version of Dean Martin with his easy-going demeanor and ready smile.  He was actually a pretty good singer, frequently backed by the Chuck Cassey orchestra and chorus.  He recorded everything from nasally hick material to smooth "Nashville Sound" orchestrations.  Jimmy Dean was one of the singers with the greatest improvement by the Nashville Sound.  His specialty was silly songs like "Philosophizin'", "I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake (But I'll Go Chasin' Wimmen'), "Oklahoma Bill".  He recorded an album of standards that shows an unexpected polish and range.  I have collected all the "known" Jimmy Dean material, including all the "known" promo albums.  One of my many favorites.  He died wealthy, in spite of suffering thru a couple pretty messy and expensive divorces.  Jimmy Dean came up thru the ranks with Patsy Cline and Dotty West who he referred to as "bawdy girls."  He thought Jim Reeves was the most decent individual he had ever met. Jimmy Dean recorded on Columbia for the most part and sold his "JD" brand to Sara Lee Foods, later Hillshire Farms who have moved the focus of the brand to other products than sausage.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Jimmy Dean

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 pm

His show gave national attention to a certain puppeteer also.  Long before Sesame street and even longer before Jim Henson had his own show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-dHo7sIIb4
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 pm

75, I had forgotten that. I had also forgotten that Boots Randolph was on the Jimmy Dean Show. Wonder what year that clip was? Pretty early, since the quality was not the best. Wonder was that before Boots Randolph and Floyd Cramer played for Brenda Lee? Thanks for the memories.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm

It may have been a AFRTS kinescope. I think both he and Ern were on ABC. I remember Ernie Ford had a show on during the day sometime around that same period.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Sometime around 1960 +/-, Jimmy Dean got a contract with CBS and Columbia records. Earlier he recorded on Mercury, Hilltop, Coronet, and other B labels. Jimmy Dean was on Midwestern Hayride with Red Foley for a time, IIRC. 75, you are really making me think this time. I have a JD record, on Mercury, mono, dated 1956 titled "His TV Show Favorites" some of which is, shall we say, rather primitive, in relation to his later material. Some of the record sounds like it was recorded off an old tv show, complete with snow and background noise.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Usually around that time, any recording from TV audio would have a ac hum. It's possible they could have done a recording separate from but during a telecast.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Have a look at the TV and radio shows forum. I have posted a list of a good writer of reference works on TV and radio shows. If such material interests you this guy has done some excellent works.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top