Swapping parts???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swapping parts???

Post by frank1956 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:54 am

I have a question on re-using parts from another radio. I have two radio of the same make and model. One is good and one is a junker, and I was wondering especially for the IF transformers if they can be swapped around i.e. taking the T1 from the junker and  replacing it with the T2 on the new one or vice a versa? Just something I got to thinking about and figured I would ask if the need every arises for salvage parts.

Frank
frank1956

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping parts???

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:15 pm

I have salvaged many parts but not an IF to date.   If you do, it would be better to make sure there were no production changes between the models, they may have changed the IF's.  Also both IF's are not always the same,  so if would be better to swap T1 with T1 and T2 with T2.  I'm sure you will need to do a re-alignment.

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:22 pm

MEZLAW wrote:I have salvaged many parts but not an IF to date.   If you do, it would be better to make sure there were no production changes between the models, they may have changed the IF's.  Also both IF's are not always the same,  so if would be better to swap T1 with T1 and T2 with T2.  I'm sure you will need to do a re-alignment.

Thanks. So once an IF transformer is removed from the chassis and it is laying around in a junk box how do you know wish is T1 or T2? If I find two and they were what I needed, what would I look for to disguise T1 from T2??

Frank
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 pm

You should be able to swap IF transformers from different brand radios if you need to. When new IF transformers were available, they were not necessary brand-specific. As long as the IF was the same, it should work. Alignment may or may not be necessary. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:You should be able to swap IF transformers from different brand radios if you need to.  When new IF transformers were available, they were not necessary brand-specific.  As long as the IF was the same, it should work.  Alignment may or may not be necessary.  Good luck.

WC

Agreed, though 1st & 2nd IF are not usually interchangeable plus often the 2nd will have four, five or six lugs for the internal AVC filter cap network... A four won't replace one with additional lugs as you'd be missing parts that were external(separate), can be added but may get tricky....
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

So if I understand correctly a T2 could in theory replace a T1 or vice a versa if need be as long they are the same IF i.e. 455 kc, and have the same amount of terminal connection ? If this is the case and you do replace a T2  in the place of T1 the connection should be the same??? I notice in the radio's I have all IF transformer have a "green dot" as does the schematic as a reference point.

Frank
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:08 pm

I think we had already established that T1 and T2 were different, so sorry if I misspoke.  Theoretically, one could take AVC voltage from the detector in a pinch, but, as Tom pointed out, it might be a tricky procedure.  It might be better to avoid confusion and simply say that T1 and T2 are not interchangeable, as an answer to Frank's question.

The green dot denotes the plate connection.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Sometimes they have numbers on them or at least listed in the sams or Ryders IIRC. There are downloadeable transformer catalogs out there that have info. I have replaced a few. What I usually do if I have a bad transformer and don't have the exact junk set I take the old one out. I then ohm out the original one to see if I have any resistance on any coil. IF for example the input has no resistance but the output is for example 1200 ohms  I will look through my junk pars for a transformer that looks similar with the same resistance on that side and same number of pins. Then I will take jumper cables and put on the underneath where the lugs would have been. Say it has 4 lugs then I have 4 jumper cables coming out.

I then wire up the donor transformer I think will work and put wire one to pin one,wire two to pin two,etc. I will turn it on and see how it works. Many times I will actually hear something. Once I hear I will try to tune it to see if it comes in better if I am not satisfied with the sound. I then mount it if it works or try another one. Many times the ones I try interchange, although I don't see many bad ones. But I have seen some.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Ok since we established that T1 & T2 are not interchangeable, how would you be able to tell the difference between a T1 & T2 if you were to pick some up a swap meet, junk store etc. For the sake of argument I have found some that would more then likely fit my bill they are at 455 kc each with four terminal in working condition, but the seller has no idea which is one T1 and which one is T2. How would I know if I got them???

Frank
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:53 pm

I have swapped a number of AM broadcast radio IF cans (the 3/4" by 3/4" by 2 or 2-1/2" tall kind typical in AA5 radios) paying little attention to anything other than making sure the connections are such that nothing will short out. I have never had an issue. They all worked.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top