Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Well, that makes it unanimous then! Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Mobil 1 synthetic oil in older engines

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Must be something in the air... Like 84*F in Midwest here at the end of October!

Got the Chevelle started today after sitting for (longer then WC's Buick) Sad

Found the float level in the carb wrong, too low of RPM for idle and I'm going to have to replace what I believe is the factory vacuum sensor for the AutoThermAC air cleaner snorkel diverter valve (remember those?).

Things going well till an oil leak sprang (how ironic with all this oil talk). The culprit appears to be the timing chain cover gasket towards the bottom. Oh well. Next year..... Sad

Btw, my Powerglide pees itself after sitting so long. What a mess even with a catch pan. Seems the converter slowly leaks from lack of use, this overfills the pan and then it seeps out the vent hole I can't seem to locate. I read this on a Corvette forum. Sounds logical.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:
Btw, my Powerglide pees itself after sitting so long. What a mess even with a catch pan. Seems the converter slowly leaks from lack of use, this overfills the pan and then it seeps out the vent hole I can't seem to locate. I read this on a Corvette forum. Sounds logical.

All converters leak down to approx half full when car sets long enough, sometimes just over night... Often causes leak where the shift linkage shaft comes through the trans case... If there is a vent on side of trans it could leak from that point but all I've taken note of(Ford) are on top of case or maybe on tail housing...

Wildcat445 wrote:  This car has an Interstate "Workaholic" battery in it that I put in in April 2002.  That is not a typo.  The battery in this car is 12 1/2 years old and it still works.  I should replace it, I know, but I am almost positive that the replacement will not last as long as this one has.  It would almost be worth being left sitting just for the bragging rights.

WC

Before April '10 I'd have said you were lying but that was when I bought a '98 Grand Marquis that still had the factory battery, dated Feb '98... Since the wife drives car to work I replaced the battery just because but it started a old Turbo Coupe T-Bird I have out back for over a year... Died after I forgot to pull battery cable and a map light ran it down... Would not recharge...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:00 pm

I have used a battery maintainer on this battery from day one. A client had a spare and gave it to me. I was not convinced they were a benefit. I'm still not claiming that they are, but this battery has lasted longer than any battery I have ever had, and has been sitting more than it ran, usually the death knell for a battery. Like Tom mentioned, I would not want to run this battery down and expect it to ever charge again, though.

Powerglide, Turbo Hydramatics, Dynaflow all had vent tubes fairly low on the case and when the converters dumped, fluid would escape. My old Dynaflow pees out of the accumulators. They are a machined seal, with no gasket or anything. They are designed to leak if fluid gets into them. When the pump seal gets old and dry in a Dynaflow, it fills the accumulators, and greases your garage floor. I just keep a drip pan filled with kitty litter under it, then fill the transmission when I start using the car again. I have never owned a Dynaflow that would not leak sitting six months. I'm suspicious. Selector shaft seals and speedometer drive seals were known leakers on GM transmissions.

Doc, I would unplug the vacuum to that AutoTherm doodad. It did little when it was new, when it worked. It usually just sucked hot air into the carb. I'll bet yours is the only one in the world that still works. Does your car have a Q-Jet carb on it? I can tune those things to absolutely scream at less than 1% CO. They do not particularly like "oxygenated" fuel. You gotta lean them out for them to run well with alcohol fuel.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top