Alignment Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alignment Question

Post by frank1956 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:43 pm

ALL, I am just having a heck of a time understanding how to properly setup my EICO 324 in order to properly align my radio/radios. I have read the instruction from head to toe, but for someone that has never done this before it is all greek to me. I am more of a hands on type (OJT) person vice somebody telling me how to do. Show me one time and I will have it down packed. I have attached a pic of how I interpret the setup of the EICO 324 per each step and where the control knob's should be set at per the blue arrows. I hope this is the correct why. Thanks

Frank

frank1956

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Alignment Question

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Frank, I have never used this particular generator but one setting pops to my mind. The signal select dial should be set to the internal mod setting, not the ext mod setting . The band setting of "B" looks correct but I really can't read your frequency reading on the B dial, it should be set at the IF frequency if your doing an IF alignement. Otherwise at the assigned frequency (RF) for doing oscillator and antenna alignment.
Hope this helps.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:09 pm

One thing I will do if unsure about the settings, is to try the oscillator with a known good unit and try setting up a couple of signals by tuning the radio to a known frequency and bring the oscillator to that generated frequency and see if you get a response from the radio.  Then you can see if it is relatively accurate and see what kind of audio carrier you are getting.  Just do it a few times for practice. Use a short length of wire to act as an antenna.

+1 on Jerry's advice, too.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 pm

One other thing I failed to comment on is that the AF modulated output has to be turned up off 0 to provide a level of "tone" to your signal on the internal modulation mode. 75 is giving good advise as well to check the accuracy of your generator.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Jerry, 75,
Thanks. Jerry band B is set per the schematic of the radio I am doing at 455 KC for both of the IF transformer's, this seem to be the norm for the two radio's I have to do. The AF modulated will be adjusted. Any suggestions as to were it should be set to start off with?? I also understand, correct me if I am wrong as the signal get louder the AF modulated should be turned down?
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Frank, in general the radio volume should be at max and the RF level to where you can just hear the hum. You may have to play a little with the AF level, I don't have any experience with that adjustment as on my generator the internal modulation is just on or off with no adjustment for that level. Adjustment of signal is through the RF level adjustment. The only adjustment is a on/off level but the level portion only works on the AF output for troubleshooting the audio if that makes any sense. Keep the signal low by lower the RF gain.
Jerry
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks 75, and Jerry for your advise/wise wisdom. I followed this and radio alignment went prefect, no radio bleed over like before, station comes in nice and clear. Now that what I call some good old OJT.

Frank
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:45 am

I would also call that confidence. You needed it and you are getting it. That will help you just as much as any of your test equipment. It comes with the wisdom you acquire for yourself.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm

If I find the oscillator tracking is fairly accurate, I normally don't mess with it during an alignment. I just touch up the IF's and leave it at that. Good job, Frank.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Score a big one for Frank, good job.
Jerry Laughing

jerryhawthorne